Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger

haha yes im creating another charger thread

im just curious how people like this charger for $40

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

i dont just want to buy a product off a company that know one really knows that well
BSS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I like mine just fine. It is a $40 charger but the shipping is like $20, so now its $60, plus you have to buy a ballancing harness for like $8 so you end up with $70 in it but it is still great. It is a limited to 5A tho so that could be an issue with some peeps.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post
I like mine just fine. It is a $40 charger but the shipping is like $20, so now its $60, plus you have to buy a ballancing harness for like $8 so you end up with $70 in it but it is still great. It is a limited to 5A tho so that could be an issue with some peeps.
well im not going to be balancing with it and only going to be charging an Orion 5000 pack
BSS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Well it should do you a fine job.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I have had the charger for approx 3 months.

Charging and balancing.

No problems with the charger.

I did make up a better 12V input cable.

Check out the link below for a long series of posts on another forum discussing the charger. RC Flying.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886698

(Note I also have and use Duratrax ICE chargers and a Orion Advance Flight Charger. Both good units but no balance capability).
Vanwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to scrubnick

I bought one last week to charge a 5S pack for 1/8th scale. The problem with it is the output limit of 50W. That means that it can only charge a 5S pack at a little over 2.5 amps. However, it runs off of 12 volts and it does work, so no biggie. Just takes a long time to charge a 5S pack. The built in balancer is very nice, and my 5S pack has a connector that plugs right into it. There's a connector for each pack from 2S to 6S on it. The charger also displays individual cell voltages for each cell in the pack.
Someone mentioned the input harness, it sucks. The connector on mine was cold soldered and came apart. Just make your own, Radio Shack sells the connector. Positive to the pin, negative to the shell.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubnick View Post
I bought one last week to charge a 5S pack for 1/8th scale. The problem with it is the output limit of 50W. That means that it can only charge a 5S pack at a little over 2.5 amps. However, it runs off of 12 volts and it does work, so no biggie. Just takes a long time to charge a 5S pack. The built in balancer is very nice, and my 5S pack has a connector that plugs right into it. There's a connector for each pack from 2S to 6S on it. The charger also displays individual cell voltages for each cell in the pack.
Someone mentioned the input harness, it sucks. The connector on mine was cold soldered and came apart. Just make your own, Radio Shack sells the connector. Positive to the pin, negative to the shell.
Maybe get the Turnigy Accucel-8 150W 7A Balancer/Charger for 80$ and eBay or list in the for-sale section your current charger?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Ok...just ordered 2 of the 50W units from the USA location for about 106$ shipped.....the checkout process is horrid, glad I don't use them on a regular basis......
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

you can find alot of those hobby city chargers & such on ebay which will make check out super easy. From what I have heard the balancer is not very good in the charger.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I will probably be getting one soon.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Does anyone know what type of balance plugs ichargers accept?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
you can find alot of those hobby city chargers & such on ebay which will make check out super easy. From what I have heard the balancer is not very good in the charger.
Check the link in my post above.

The RC Flyers found the charger did a good job balancing. This was one of the reasons I purchased the charger.
Vanwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I read the entire thread over on the other site, it seems that no one had a bad word to say about it. The worst things they say is the input wires and the 50w limit, one guy says he had problems with the buttons. The 50w limit should not be a big deal to most 1/10 and smaller racers, I would doubt that even 1/8 electric convertions would have much problems with it. They say page after page that the balance works great and they have had no real problems. For the price you just can't go wrong. I have been dragging my feet on a better charger for months. This one seems to offer more then most of the "name brand" chargers for a lot less money....they also seem to last.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I read the entire thread over on the other site, it seems that no one had a bad word to say about it. The worst things they say is the input wires and the 50w limit, one guy says he had problems with the buttons. The 50w limit should not be a big deal to most 1/10 and smaller racers, I would doubt that even 1/8 electric convertions would have much problems with it. They say page after page that the balance works great and they have had no real problems. For the price you just can't go wrong. I have been dragging my feet on a better charger for months. This one seems to offer more then most of the "name brand" chargers for a lot less money....they also seem to last.

I did the same thing ...reading threw the posts.....I run 1/10th scale electric, so I bought 2. I figure I can be charging 2 packs and running a 3rd, or charging something else like NiMH as I was thinking of getting a Slash for racing perhaps......

I don't see a need to charge over 5A in my foreseeable future, so these should hopefully do the job.