Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Do you have a link for 1 and 2?
Whats the biggest difference between the sp and non-sp?
Is the non SP referred to as the RTR version?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the non SP is the RTR. the SP has different front suspension geometry found to be far superior in track situations. as just a play toy/basher i do not think it would matter.

http://pnracing.com/ - for hopups.. all work with the rtr, the front c-hub and knuckles and will work with the SP. I'm unsure about the rears, but I have never broken a rear, even cartwheeling 65 mph across asphault on 3s lipo. That is what did in my arm mounts though

here is my baby prior to breaking anything. I need to take new hopped up pics.

DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
Tech Elite

I'm suprized the RTR and SP have different geometry. Most RTR's are the kit version, but just plastic over graphite parts.....I was thinknig of a RTR to play with, and slowly upgrade, but that does not seem possible if this is true....
Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I'm suprized the RTR and SP have different geometry. Most RTR's are the kit version, but just plastic over graphite parts.....I was thinknig of a RTR to play with, and slowly upgrade, but that does not seem possible if this is true....

didn't go down like that. Lazer zx-5 came out..... then the lazer zx-5 "sp" shortley after the RTR came out with and without a orion lipo. I think the rtr is not as nice as a kit zx-5 but the SP and FS are worlds better in many ways..
Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

the SP was released well after the rtr, after a world championship and lots of top level driver input.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Im pretty sure the rtr was out before they came out with the sp version.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

You can upgrade the RTR to the SP. Not sure if it would be very cost effective, but it can be done.

I ran a XXX4G+ before the SP, and it's a night and day difference. The SP is a million times easier to drive, and ten million times stronger!

Canyon
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdtch View Post
You can upgrade the RTR to the SP. Not sure if it would be very cost effective, but it can be done.
I believe the upgrade kit is about $90 and out of stock everywhere. I have not looked recently other than amain while ordering spare parts yesterday, but they list it out of stock and has been that way at amain for some time.

Kyosho has also released the FS conversion that uses a front motor and saddle pack chassis: http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=688&id=7712 - also out of stock. i like mine the way it is and it fits all my current lipos, I do not see myself changing.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I believe the upgrade kit is about $90 and out of stock everywhere. I have not looked recently other than amain while ordering spare parts yesterday, but they list it out of stock and has been that way at amain for some time.

Kyosho has also released the FS conversion that uses a front motor and saddle pack chassis: http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=688&id=7712 - also out of stock. i like mine the way it is and it fits all my current lipos, I do not see myself changing.

SP conversion is discontinued and the FS conversion converts the SP to the FS. Not RTR to FS.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

new lazer zx-5 sp for sale...$750 obo. includes new electronics (novak 10.5 brushless w/esc, ace servo and orion 3800 30c lipo). i have the car 90% built and also includes remaining parts to complete and new custom painted body and under tray. i bought this with intention to race but other financial priorities have come up. i have it listed on ebay as well w/photos. if interested let me know at [email protected]
Borik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
SP conversion is discontinued and the FS conversion converts the SP to the FS. Not RTR to FS.
So....essentially the RTR is a 2 version old vehicle.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
So....essentially the RTR is a 2 version old vehicle.
I would say more like a cheapened 2 version old vehicle.

But keep in mind the SP is still really good but i am hearing the FS is alittle better. I think i am gona sell my sp soon and get the FS kit when it comes out.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
I would say more like a cheapened 2 version old vehicle.

But keep in mind the SP is still really good but i am hearing the FS is alittle better. I think i am gona sell my sp soon and get the FS kit when it comes out.
borderline smartech then
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
borderline smartech then

I wouldn't go that far but thats how race bred rtr's are. All the goodies are in the race kits. The original zx-5 doesn't have hex hardware it's phillips. Just to give you an idea.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far but thats how race bred rtr's are. All the goodies are in the race kits. The original zx-5 doesn't have hex hardware it's phillips. Just to give you an idea.
Yeah, I was looking at that and thought it was pretty sad. The theory to me at least is that a typical RTR can be upgraded to a race version over time, depending on a person's budget.

I was on the fence on ordering one just to check it out, but I think I might hold of on that thought....