R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default Bearings....anything to free up new ones?

Just curious if anyone has some tricks to free up stock bearings? I remember cleaning then out with brake cleaner and a drop of WD40 in the old days....but not sure if any 'tricks' still apply?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Use motor spray/nitro cleaner with RPM bearing blaster to clean the bearings and Trinity bearing oil for the motor/tranny and 3 in 1 oil for the wheel bearings.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

you can pop a seal off, flush out with wd 40, re apply the seal after regreasing.

TeamFastEddy.com sells a unit called the Greaser. its a bearing greaser that you can use with the seals inplace. its really quite a nice lil unit and can do many sizes of bearing used on most all our RCs with exception to some of the largest bearings found in the HPI Baja 5B diff (Big Bearings).
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can blast all the grease out of a bearing or soak it in motor spray and then use oil... only problem is that you have to do it often or they blow out.. Yes.. oil is smoother than the grease in most steel or carbide ball bearings.

All bearings are not made equal... when a bearing is new, they are usually pretty good... but as they age, that is when you can really tell..

You can buy decent quality bearings from the car manufacturers, but they are usually really expensive if you look at them closely. Avid sells most of the same bearings for a buck a piece! You could buy a set of Ceramic Bearings from companies like BOCA (i have had them last 4+ years! but at $140+ a set) or run some of the less expensive brands like ACER. Still really smooth at about half the price. You can definatily tell the difference running a ceramic bearing set over standard. The car gets going much faster and smoother.

As long as you don't run in water or mud, you shouldn't even have to oil a good ball bearing... That one thing that cracks me up about some newbs running Traxxas Slash Trucks.. they if you tell them don't run in water.. they all say "It's water proof!"... well.. maybe the elctronics... but what about the bearings? Then again.. just buy a bunch of Avid bearings at $1 each.. then it doesn't matter.. lol

Have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Thanks for the replies....maintenance time is not an issue....I was just looking for a bit smoother....or better spinning bearings out of the stocker ones.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
just buy a bunch of Avid bearings at $1 each.. then it doesn't matter.. lol

Have fun!

Jerome
That's what I say. When they get slow, pull them out and chunk'em.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I just might get a few items from Avid now....

Are the ceramic bearings that much smoother? I would think so as most seem to run ceramic balls in the diffs alot.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

if you pony up and go ceramic you wont believe what you've been missing all these years...but it is an investment in both money and maintenance. You cannot afford to slouch on your bearing maintenance if you're running ceramics. If you have a ceramic bearing set, dont mess around with taking the grease out of them, they need to be broken in and let them do their thing.

Avid yellow seals are awesome bearings for the price, outfit your car for under $30 and they're pretty free.

One time, and this is before I had a life haha....I took the seals off my bearings, took all the grease out so they were dry, then packed the bearings full of mothers metal polish and re-installed all the bearings back into a "dummy" transmission case and chucked the top shaft into a drill for 10 minutes...took all the bearings out, washed them off with simple green and swear to god I had like 2 minutes of free-spin w/ the wheels on. My bearings detonated after 2 runs, but dammit my car was fast!

I just got a new B4FT and am running kit bearings, they're plenty smooth for the time being. I will upgrade to the B44 hubs/bearings in the back as I blew-up a hub bearing at my first race, but thats common. Down the road, my next bearing upgrade will be a full-on Boca Orange Seal (level 7) or whatever they call it ceramic kit. Yep, they're about $140 for the whole kit but a better bearing does not exist.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
if you pony up and go ceramic you wont believe what you've been missing all these years...but it is an investment in both money and maintenance. You cannot afford to slouch on your bearing maintenance if you're running ceramics. If you have a ceramic bearing set, dont mess around with taking the grease out of them, they need to be broken in and let them do their thing.

Avid yellow seals are awesome bearings for the price, outfit your car for under $30 and they're pretty free.

One time, and this is before I had a life haha....I took the seals off my bearings, took all the grease out so they were dry, then packed the bearings full of mothers metal polish and re-installed all the bearings back into a "dummy" transmission case and chucked the top shaft into a drill for 10 minutes...took all the bearings out, washed them off with simple green and swear to god I had like 2 minutes of free-spin w/ the wheels on. My bearings detonated after 2 runs, but dammit my car was fast!

I just got a new B4FT and am running kit bearings, they're plenty smooth for the time being. I will upgrade to the B44 hubs/bearings in the back as I blew-up a hub bearing at my first race, but thats common. Down the road, my next bearing upgrade will be a full-on Boca Orange Seal (level 7) or whatever they call it ceramic kit. Yep, they're about $140 for the whole kit but a better bearing does not exist.
Do they have kit prices, or do you need to go threw the manual and figure it out bearing by bearing for what you need?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

www.bocabearings.com

they have a different level kits to choose from.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
www.bocabearings.com

they have a different level kits to choose from.
Thanks....I'll give it a look.

I would be looking for a stadium truck set, so should not be TOO expensive, I would hope.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just replace with avid bearings. I am loyal avid buyer they are top notch service.

I keep lots of spare bearings with me. they are very important to change and replace.

well if you race alot.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #13

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

u could get 5 bearings from dave for price of 1 ceramic. u will NOT notice a difference on ur stadium truck at club races. check that...you will...

...when 1 of them crunches and ur now down $5bux and a bearing.

onroad yeh, go ahead, but add dirt and jumps. no way

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Is the RPM bearing blaster worth buying. Does it clean gritty beatings?
jjdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

As others have said, if you want your bearings to spin free, remove the grease from inside of them, and then use a light oil. Its a lot more maintenance, but it will result in a freer drive train.

I've even seen drivers who will keep half of the bearing de-shielded (one side open) allowing for easier maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
Is the RPM bearing blaster worth buying. Does it clean gritty beatings?
I've had mixed results with it. I prefer to soak, then spray mine on top of a towel. YMMV.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote