R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 163
Default How to open a CM36 motor?

I'm trying to mount a castle creations CM36-s5700 motor but I'm having problems because I can't find a position where the little screw heads are not fouling anything.

I want to take the front cover off to either close it with a different offset between the little screws and the motor mounting screw holes or, if that won't work, to tap new motor mounting screw holes into it.

I removed the 3 front screws hoping that the front cover will drop out but it didn't. I applied moderate force to it but it didn't budge.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks,
Avner.
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,428
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
I'm trying to mount a castle creations CM36-s5700 motor but I'm having problems because I can't find a position where the little screw heads are not fouling anything.

I want to take the front cover off to either close it with a different offset between the little screws and the motor mounting screw holes or, if that won't work, to tap new motor mounting screw holes into it.

I removed the 3 front screws hoping that the front cover will drop out but it didn't. I applied moderate force to it but it didn't budge.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks,
Avner.
The end caps are glued on as well as the screws. The only way that I can think of to get them off is to use a heat gun to get the glue to release. This is a problem for the Feigao motors that do not have the screws. They would come apart while running. That is why rc-monster makes motor clamps.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
DickyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 55
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I have always removed the screws then tapped the spindle on my work bench until it pops out. The stick a screw driver through the motor wedged into the bearing and tap the other side out. I done that to put ceramic bearings in several.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 163
Default

DickyT,
I'm not sure I understand you.
Do you first remove the rear cover by tapping on the rotor and then remove the front cover by tapping on the bearing from inside the can?

Thanks,
Avner.
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
B-FAST R/C's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 811
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

When I opened my 4600 for bearing replacement I did the following and it worked very well.

Removed the small screws from the can that hold the pinion end endplate.

Placed a small flat blade screwdriver on the inside edge of endplate where the wire opening is. Have the screwdriver laid down toward can as much as possible and pointing in the direction of the pinion, lightly tap the screwdriver.
Once endplate moves enough to place the small screwdriver in between the endplate and can, insert screwdriver and gently twist, slowly work your way around the can twisting gently. Be careful not to bend the can.

I did not remove the opposite endplate. I peeled the sticker back (no need to fully remove sticker)and removed the bearing with the endplate and can still assembled.
__________________
www.bfastrc.com *** Feel The Diff!! ***
arcshobbies mcculloughsrcracing
B-FAST R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
DickyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 55
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
DickyT,
I'm not sure I understand you.
Do you first remove the rear cover by tapping on the rotor and then remove the front cover by tapping on the bearing from inside the can?

Thanks,
Avner.
correct. remove all the screws, hold the motor in your hand rotor side down, tap the spindle end of the rotor on a table, this will pop off the read endbell.

Then stick a screwdriver though the motor, being careful not to damage the copper windings. from the side you just removed and do the same to pop off the front.

I use the word tap literally. no need to pound, just tap a few time. pounding could damage the magnets on the rotor.

The first time tyou do this to the motor it will require more force than any following attempts.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,428
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Ok, I guess they aren't glued. My bad.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
BlueB44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plainville, CT
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I would not recommend opening these motors if possible. I opened mine to clean it, but breaking the glue bond made the motor weak. after just a couple big jumps the motor pulled away from the front motor plate. I redrilled the holes and the same thing happen again. I was very unhappy, I'm going to return the motor, but will not open another one of these motors again.
BlueB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
DickyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 55
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueB44 View Post
I would not recommend opening these motors if possible. I opened mine to clean it, but breaking the glue bond made the motor weak. after just a couple big jumps the motor pulled away from the front motor plate. I redrilled the holes and the same thing happen again. I was very unhappy, I'm going to return the motor, but will not open another one of these motors again.
I never experienced that. 1 the motor uses screws and if they are in place should hold things just fine. I have removed those screws though use an rc-monster heatsink\clamp on mine, it is NOT coming apart http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCM01

it will even hold a feigao together in a crash :P
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net