R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: parkersburg wv
Posts: 26
Default affordable gps

Can someone please help me on some options on a small gps unit to record speeds on my rc's thanks ,.......
__________________
erevo, nue 15151y, mamba monster, 2p 5000 hv 11.1 maxamps/ losi 8ight mmm 1512 1.5,4s 5000mah ,slash mamba 5700 3s,baja 5b 29.5cc,associated sc10 mamba max pro 5700,slash 4x4 velineon,
erevo15151y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Drifting101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erevo15151y View Post
Can someone please help me on some options on a small gps unit to record speeds on my rc's thanks ,.......
I have a garmin if you get a basic one they cost about 75 bux second hand

and they are a very solid unit prolly the most solid on the market also they are light so they wont affect top end that much
__________________
::Mi4::17.5::::::M03R::HW 3000kv::::::T4::7.5::::::HB Cyclone D4::5.5::

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Tech Lord
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=231

This is smaller than handheld Garmin - I use one for keeping track of exercise and saw a pic of one velcro'ed to an rc with speed displayed.

Downside is this one has little other use while handheld can do some other things.

Last edited by Duster_360; 10-29-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Drifting101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=231

This is smaller than handheld Garmin - I use one for keeping track of exercise and saw a pic of one velcro'ed to an rc with speed displayed.

Downside is this one has little other use while handheld can do some other things.
My auntie had one like that it is pretty un accurate.....the one i have is one for somethinag like orintering so it is pretty spot
__________________
::Mi4::17.5::::::M03R::HW 3000kv::::::T4::7.5::::::HB Cyclone D4::5.5::

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I've checked mine in the car for both speed and distance and as long as you drive for a few minutes, its is pretty much spot on. If you try real short distance, couple of hundred feet, maybe thats why. I'm happy with mine.

Where I saw it used for rc speed was on UE and the guy advised driving back and forth a few time before relying on what it was indicating.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Default

the garmin foretrex 101 updates at a rate of 1 hz... aka 1 time per second. so if you can keep the top speed of your car for at least 3-5 seconds, you should have a pretty accurate speed readout. what would be best is something that updates @ at least 5hz... or 5 times a second. but i haven't found anything in this size range and weight with this much accuracy

if you're interested in geocaching, i believe that you can add lat/lon coords as destination addresses, but the entry method gets tiring after awhile. also, this model does not link to a computer
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Drifting101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1 View Post
the garmin foretrex 101 updates at a rate of 1 hz... aka 1 time per second. so if you can keep the top speed of your car for at least 3-5 seconds, you should have a pretty accurate speed readout. what would be best is something that updates @ at least 5hz... or 5 times a second. but i haven't found anything in this size range and weight with this much accuracy

if you're interested in geocaching, i believe that you can add lat/lon coords as destination addresses, but the entry method gets tiring after awhile. also, this model does not link to a computer
Lol that is what i used it for when i said orientering....do you geocache?
__________________
::Mi4::17.5::::::M03R::HW 3000kv::::::T4::7.5::::::HB Cyclone D4::5.5::

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non RC item for sale. Land-Chaser Malaysian R/C Racers 27 12-10-2008 07:06 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:40 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net