R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jurgen
Default Need help with RC10B4

Hello everyone I am new to this Forum and RC cars .
I Got a B4 from a friend of mine its pretty quick but i need to get a battery and a charger for it .I know the motor is not stock its a SPEC Class 19 turn bearing machine-wound modified and the battery that I have is a SHARK 1500 but i only get about 5-10 minutes out of it . Its pretty quick but at the same time its my first electric RC anything you guys can suggest its appreciated like what kind of battery and charger any mods that I should start with .

Jurgen
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

The Shark Battery Packs aren't up to par for racing. If I were you I would go straight to LiPO batteries. The Yeah Racing Packs are the best for the money IMO. From what I hear the Turnigy Accucell is a great charger for the money and charges lipo's.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

Do you have a specific budget that you want to stay within?
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
The Shark Battery Packs aren't up to par for racing. If I were you I would go straight to LiPO batteries. The Yeah Racing Packs are the best for the money IMO. From what I hear the Turnigy Accucell is a great charger for the money and charges lipo's.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

Do you have a specific budget that you want to stay within?
I dont have a specific budget i am just getting into RC's and i am not the best driver out there would't a Lipo battery be too much tho or burn the motor ?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

well it would be a good idea to stick with some decent nimh until you decide yo upgrade the speed control and etc..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
well it would be a good idea to stick with some decent nimh until you decide yo upgrade the speed control and etc..
So for the motor that i have now what would be a decent NIMH until i get the hang of it and want to go all out .
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

You could go with something like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLFW4&P=7

You will notice alot more speed and power with the battery above. A lipo battery won't burn up the motor, I run 2s LiPO packs with my 19T spec motors with no problems.

What kind of charger do you have now?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I dont have a charger i was using my friends charger for the shark 1500 i was thinking of going to the hobby shop and checking some out i know they had venom battery's i dont know if they are good or not . I could get the battery you just posted with the charger on the second post if they work ok together bout i would have to wait till they get here .
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Tech Elite

The battery and the charger that I posted work fine together. The Venom cells aren't very good, not much better than the Shark battery that you are using now. I have always used Integy batteries before I switched to lipo and liked the Integy cells. You will want to upgrade to deans plugs on the battery that I recommended though.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDU8&P=7
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
AE-Reedy

Send a message via AIM to AEDUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Hello everyone I am new to this Forum and RC cars .
I Got a B4 from a friend of mine its pretty quick but i need to get a battery and a charger for it .I know the motor is not stock its a SPEC Class 19 turn bearing machine-wound modified and the battery that I have is a SHARK 1500 but i only get about 5-10 minutes out of it . Its pretty quick but at the same time its my first electric RC anything you guys can suggest its appreciated like what kind of battery and charger any mods that I should start with .

Jurgen
Hi Jurgen,

Well the first question that I have to ask is what speed control do you have? You shouldn't purchase a lipo if you don't have a speed control with a cutout for lipo. It would technically be okay to run a lipo with a speed control that doesn't have a lipo cutout but you are running the risk of over discharging your lipo. Secondly, from your post it doesn't sound like your looking to race necessarily. If that is the case then just try to get your hands on another cheap stick pack, just look for ones that have a higher mAH rating, maybe something like a 3000mAH or there about. Almost every manufacturer makes stick packs like I just described. Lastly, there are many different chargers out there and everyone will have an opinion on which one is the best, but the question that you want to ask when purchasing a charger is whether it does just Lipos or lipos and HiMH or just NiMH. I would suggest that you get a charger that does both types of batteries because you may decide down the road to get some lipos and if you don't buy a charger that does both now you will have to purchase another charger later on.

Later

Duefuss
Team Associated - www.rc10.com | Reedy | LRP | Factory Team | JConcepts - www.JConcepts.net | Good Run Gear | Futaba - www.Hobbico.com | 92 Zero Designs - www.92ZeroDesigns.com | BFast Racing | Turd Ferguson Racing | RC Scoring Pro - www.RcScoringPro.com | Live RC - www.LiveRC.com | S&N's Trackside Hobbies - www.Trackside.com
AEDUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

What are deans plugs tho is that the one that i have now ? if not where do i find it ?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Tech Elite

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDU8&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHGL9&P=ML

You are probably using the cheap tamiya plugs now. If you decide to switch to deans you will need to solder one plug onto the speed control and on onto each battery that you have.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

AEDUE You are right i am not trying to race i just want to play around with this thing and race my friends some times i think its a stock speed control tho (runner plus reverse digital crp electronic I hope this is what you were talking about )
Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default track

Not to be nosy but where do you live in Michigan? If you are looking to run at a track there is www.larrysperformancercs.com/ for offroad carpet or www.factorytracksraceway.com for offroad dirt. you don't necessarily need to race. I just go to the track with my friends to play around
rc10 ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
AE-Reedy

Send a message via AIM to AEDUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
AEDUE You are right i am not trying to race i just want to play around with this thing and race my friends some times i think its a stock speed control tho (runner plus reverse digital crp electronic I hope this is what you were talking about )
If thats all you are doing then just go ahead and get yourself some cheap venom, duratax, reedy, trinity stick pack any of them will work. Dont worry about changing the end right away, if you start having issues melting the plugs then worry about changing to deans connectors. Normally outside playing you wont have an issue. Get your hands on one of the cheap duratrax charges. Here is the one that I suggest.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCK1&P=ML
Team Associated - www.rc10.com | Reedy | LRP | Factory Team | JConcepts - www.JConcepts.net | Good Run Gear | Futaba - www.Hobbico.com | 92 Zero Designs - www.92ZeroDesigns.com | BFast Racing | Turd Ferguson Racing | RC Scoring Pro - www.RcScoringPro.com | Live RC - www.LiveRC.com | S&N's Trackside Hobbies - www.Trackside.com
AEDUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 what Adedue said. Not only do you need a cutoff for LiPo, you'll also want a voltage regulator since 2S LiPo is 7.4 volts (as opposed to 7.2 for a 6 cell NiMh pack). Most BEC aren't designed to handle that and you run the risk of frying your servo is more than 6.0 volts get to it. You can race just fine with NiMh batteries if you want to. I do.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote