R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
What do you think of the ZX-5 RTR out of the box so far? My track prob will only carry limited parts support, so I would just have to order a few things here and there that might break....

Kyosho Front & Rear Suspension Arms (ZX-5) are 4.29$ for a side. I'm not sure if the material between the kit & RTR are the same, but can afford to get a few sets of these to keep around as well.....
i hear the RTRs are hard to break. Something about their plastics being more flexy or something.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
What do you think of the ZX-5 RTR out of the box so far? My track prob will only carry limited parts support, so I would just have to order a few things here and there that might break....

Kyosho Front & Rear Suspension Arms (ZX-5) are 4.29$ for a side. I'm not sure if the material between the kit & RTR are the same, but can afford to get a few sets of these to keep around as well.....
that thing is super brittle!!! we had 6 or so at the track and now there are none due to the breakage issues. everyone either runs the d4 or the b44 here. the b44 works great out of the box, The d4 with the travis amezcua set up thats on the website is the fastest thing ive ever driven and the car holds up alot better than most too. its a little more but well worth it when you have ran the car for a year and it only takes kie $30 TO BRING IT BACK TO NEW TOLERENCES!!
ballisticsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticsart View Post
that thing is super brittle!!! we had 6 or so at the track and now there are none due to the breakage issues. everyone either runs the d4 or the b44 here. the b44 works great out of the box, The d4 with the travis amezcua set up thats on the website is the fastest thing ive ever driven and the car holds up alot better than most too. its a little more but well worth it when you have ran the car for a year and it only takes kie $30 TO BRING IT BACK TO NEW TOLERENCES!!
You must have some bad drivers at your track.

My track is inundated with ZX5s and breakage is uncommon. It is one of the stronger 4 wheels on the market. The old rule applies, don't hit stuff and you won't break stuff.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Tech Adept

most of the 4wd's are weak, they all have breaking issues. once you get used to a car, the parts stop breaking, i have put $7 in my xxx4 in the last few months, and beat a bunch of b44's, kyosho's, and xxx4's. watched new CAT SX's get tortured and break. it's all in the driving, smooth drivers don't break as many parts.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default breaking

all things will break, but the xxx-4 is by far the most fragile car they have ever put out. i've had every losi 1/10th scale since the xx and loved them all except for the xxx-4. i agree it's the fastest best handling car i've ever driven to date. don't touch a pipe though or get knocked into one or it might be over.
lil_man72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Funny. I've always felt the XX4 handled way better than the XXX4.

Right now I'm running my old trusty XX4 with stick pack lipo and some new tweaks. I've got a full-option Durga waiting in the wings, but the things run really well with a few reliability hopups. Very surprising performance from what most consider to be a hobby-grade car. Darned near bulletproof as well, and you can't beat the price. There are also some really quick ZX-5 SP out there. That being said, I think the biggest factors in your choice should be local parts and setup support.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everything listed so far is a decent ride as far as I'm concerned. Personally I run the Academy SBV2 and have been pretty happy so far. I've had it for 1 season so far and the only parts I've replaced were a hingepin and the arm attached to it (happened in same wreck). As far as I'm concerned that's about the most durable one out there. It performs well and isn't too expensive either.
Just had to add another buggy option to the list.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

B44. However I have also spent some time wheeling a Kyosho ZX-5 and was pretty impressed. Either are really solid cars.
avrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to downtempo

Tamiya 501x. Who cares about parts availability when it does not break to begin with? Have yet to see any belt wear and only one arm busted in over a hundred runs. Bomb proof AND beautiful.
downtempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Quote:
Everything listed so far is a decent ride as far as I'm concerned. Personally I run the Academy SBV2 and have been pretty happy so far. I've had it for 1 season so far and the only parts I've replaced were a hingepin and the arm attached to it (happened in same wreck). As far as I'm concerned that's about the most durable one out there. It performs well and isn't too expensive either.
Just had to add another buggy option to the list.
+1 on the Academy. Once you swap out the factory shock pistons they're pretty stout and easy to drive and setup.
On the other hand My XXX4G+ hasn't broke anything either and, yes, I crash alot. My biggest issue is chassis flex. My batts fall out of the XXX4 repeatedly. The strap is formed for old 3300 cells so doesn't fit the 4200 and 4600 packs. I've had to turn the strap upside down, which is still plenty tight but during a crash the chassis flexes enough to dump them out the side. I even tried stick packs wich were really tight and they did the same. Odd for a graphite chassis, don't you think? Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yokomo MR4-BX This is a super durable car, and I'm actually kind of fast with it.
Hammer Racing
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

You seriously can't lose with all these 4wds that everyone mentioned. Everyone of us has a different opinion on what the "best" is--and I think that is awesome. One car is not the best for everyone. Sometimes the best doesn't mean the fastest single lap--what does that matter if you can't afford the upkeep over a season? I have a 501x and its disgustingly gorgeous and handles very, very well--but parts are hard to come by and its very, very expensive. No it rarely breaks but stuff still does wear out (shocks, diff, u-joints, outdrives, arms slop out etc.) I will say that belt drive isn't a hindrance at all. I actually prefer it to shaft, even with todays brushless motors and lipos.

So get something you can afford to race, and afford to have a storage of parts for--and something where you can get parts from the wall in your hobby shop--not from Hong Kong or Japan.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #28
Tech Addict

My personal preference is for the Academy SBV2 Pro, I now run two of them. Though before these I had an XXX4G+ and I loved that car as well....
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Tech Regular

just curious why nobody has mentioned the bj4? i just picked my roller up from the lhs that had very few runs on it for $150, not a scratch on the carbon fiber.. though fragile imo, still a quick car with a smooth drivetrain.
BlazinB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinB4 View Post
just curious why nobody has mentioned the bj4? i just picked my roller up from the lhs that had very few runs on it for $150, not a scratch on the carbon fiber.. though fragile imo, still a quick car with a smooth drivetrain.
Also a very good buggy and sounds like a good price
Blade Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote