R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

IMO there was only one bad track in the series this year. Metro was the only one were NO effort was put into the track. The racers busted there butts to try and give us somethign to run on.

The purpose of the series is to run at different tracks. If you want a series at one track they have those as well. Not very well attenede but they exist.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

Just my 1 cent worth.
I like Jamals idea Need to keep the same clases.

As for Sponored drivers, I totally disagree with this statement. As in all other types of racing. If you have any sponsorship..... you race expert or if you really think you are all that you race pro. I have only had one real opinion during all the JBRL's is that if the sponsorship tag in any form has been given out to you, not you personally casper, you should step up and race with the expert/pro drivers.

Last comment on this topic. "sponsored" drivers. Where do you draw the line. Some guys get a couple bucks off motors and are "sponsored" team drivers. Anybody who works for a hobby shop can get this deal on everything in the shop Are they sponsored? I can see drawing the line at chassis sponsors but the small motor and battery company sponsorships are hard to police. Also these drivers don't need sponsored products to win. I will gurantee you, you can buy better batteries then I ran all season. To be a faster driver takes practice and competition like the JBRL provides to get faster. Not equipment.
RCINSIDER.COM
Special"ED" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub202 View Post
okay, i dont run the jbrl (i live in michigan) but i have to chime in about the serious-ness.

that is what series are about. weekly club races are where the fun is at. yeah the series should be fun, but they are for points, and trophies. mock the trophy if you will but dont race the series if you dont care. its once a month, relax the other 3 weekends. some people do take racing pretty serious. we get sponsored and have fun with tough competition. if you ARE slow, get the heck out of the way when faster drivers are coming up. (i can be slow too, dont take that the wrong way).
Perhaps.... but the original idea here was for local racers... nobody makes big money racing toy cars. Actually we all spend a whole lot of money, even the "sponsored" drivers!

It's toy racing... if it's not fun, we shouldn't do it... all it's going to do is make a lot of racers quit... It takes away a lot of the most enthusiastic club racers to go and try the series race... they spend more than they would for a whole month of racing to go to a track and race one day a month. Some of these folks stop racing club...and only the series. If they don't have fun.. they quit all together...

I think the series is cool.. I have had fun at some of them... some really sucked... Something is going on because they seemed to get smaller and smaller as the series went along.. ya ya.. the economy and all.. but... If it was more fun, we'd see a lot more folks going...

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special"ED" View Post
Just my 1 cent worth.
I like Jamals idea Need to keep the same clases.

As for Sponored drivers, I totally disagree with this statement. As in all other types of racing. If you have any sponsorship..... you race expert or if you really think you are all that you race pro. I have only had one real opinion during all the JBRL's is that if the sponsorship tag in any form has been given out to you, not you personally casper, you should step up and race with the expert/pro drivers.

Last comment on this topic. "sponsored" drivers. Where do you draw the line. Some guys get a couple bucks off motors and are "sponsored" team drivers. Anybody who works for a hobby shop can get this deal on everything in the shop Are they sponsored? I can see drawing the line at chassis sponsors but the small motor and battery company sponsorships are hard to police. Also these drivers don't need sponsored products to win. I will gurantee you, you can buy better batteries then I ran all season. To be a faster driver takes practice and competition like the JBRL provides to get faster. Not equipment.
Good points, I have often wondered why a company would even bother putting their money behind a driver that is just going to run sportsmen. I thought the whole reasoning of the sportsmen class was to get away from these guys that are up there being so serious, or even the guys that are paid to race away from the "common guy". Maybe rules like if your time was good enough for say the B main in Expert you are forced to move up or no longer allowed in Sportsmen. Personally I don't get it, I could of run Sportsmen at our track last year but would rather test myself and prove myself with the faster guys. I think it has made me a better driver. Some people are not happy unless they are winning I guess. But I still don't see how winning a sportsmen class rather then making an A Main in expert would be better for the driver or sponsor itself. Just my opinion.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

The problem is there is no "B" main in the expert classes. There are not enough people that sign up for the class to even fill the "A" I think the average turnout was 6-7 per race. I agree there are more thena few sportsman I would put on the expert list I ran expert way before I got any help. Expert/pro classes are not always offered though.

AS for the drop off in attendance this year. I believe it was due to two factors. One was ecomony but I think the bigger influence was the rules this year. No BL and lipo in the spec classes kept poeple that made the switch away from the race. Those technologies took off faster then we thought and Jimmy was not willing to change the rules mid way though the series. Next year the rules will allow these technologies in all classes and I attendance will be up again.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=559&parent=56

and

http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=661&parent=60

Will these batteries be allowed next year by any chance? I heard roar approval was being worked on but not sure if thats true or not. Being a budget racers (and im sure many others are given the economy and travel expenses between tracks), these would be popular batts. I have 2 of the 3200s and one 4000 and have used the 4000 in mod and use the 3200s in my b4 at pegasus (and the 4000 in my TC). They work GREAT. No problems at all, but the move to ROAR approved stuff worries as i would have to go out and buy new lipos with the money i dont have. What do you think would be the ruling?
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #22
Tech Prophet

It will be up to Jimmy

Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ive heard alot of people complaining about some of the tracks this year being blown out as if they where all like that and it was really only two that where really bad and it sucks to drive a long ways to get to a track that has been let go. but like Casper said you might like a well groomed track that is like running on aspalt where your car barely gets dirty and the track is easy. That might be fun to you, other people see fun as going to a totally different track and running on something that looks and feels more like dirt where you have to break out the Ifmar studs. and actually change your set up. your not going to make everyone happy with this your just not because everyone has there own fun.

Since this series has ended alot of guys that ran in Novice at the jbrl have been alot better at the local tracks because they have learned alot about there driving and there cars because of all the different tracks and other racers. I think thats fun to see in a hobby.

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It will be up to Jimmy
there are others that i know that can attest to the quality of these packs if that helps out later on...
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

With the elimination of the expert classes, does this mean that the only class bump up will be for the rookies, into sportsman? There needs to be some sort of bump up system or the same 10 people will continue to dominate the A mains. I believe that the reason that attendance drops off is because that people feel like they are wasting money traveling to a race when they are going to end up in a c main. And if the bump up system is eliminated then this problem will only increase. I understand that jimmy does not want to force people to have to buy a new motor to run in a new class, but in most cases, these top racers are going to buy new motors for the next year anyways.

These are just my thoughts and i know that the debate will continue, so the more discussion and ideas that are tossed around, the more accommodating the JBRL crew can be.
Daniel Sarfati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #26
Tech Prophet

Ok-- So If you end up in the C all the time and you bump up 10 people you will be in the B all the time. What did that solve.

My next question is do you want the classes so thinned out so you have less then 10 poeple show up for each class for each event. This is the only way to make sure you will make the show. Trust me running expert stock for the last 4 years with less then 10 people it is not as fun as it sounds. I would rather have 3-4 heats and have some fun trying to make the mains. 4wd mod is a good example. It was more fun to me to have to make the main on performance every month. There were 3 events were I didn't make them main. I had to try and bump up. I did it once and failed the other two times. I will argue the same point again. regardless of how many people you bump out of a class there will always be someone that will end up on top. We race as a competition to push ourselves. If we have a need to win all the time that is what practice is for. The only way to always win is to only race yourself.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

& i'd like to see electric racing more like this;

Open Mod; 2wd, 4wd & truck
Factory Mod; 2wd, 4wd & truck

Both with 2 bump ups
Also with some sort of ranking system; top 30 = f1, 30th to 70th = f2 etc, or something similar. Hopefully this would make for more racing against more people. & thats all!
Brodie-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

I completely agree with you Capser, there needs to be competition, but i see the need to keep people moving up in classes, so that classes do not become stagnant. I think that racing in a large class is fun and i would not mind being in a C, given the fact that everyone in that class belongs there, but when people are running a class that they have no buisness being in, that is a whole different story.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

I hear you and I do recognize the problem.

Just not sure what to do about it.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Jimmy can only do so much to encourage people to step up and push themselves to go to the next level, it ultimately comes down to the racer decideing when to move up. Unfortunately some decide to stay in lower classes for longer.

I think that there are somethings that can be done, for example when someone finishes in the top 3 in sportsman stock and are bumped up. Why can they race stock at a big race like the Shootout, this seems to defeat the purpose of bump ups.