R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

This is usually personal preference but i can tell you about my own personal experience. I used to run a xxx4 and now run a b44. With the xxx4 i noticed that i kept breaking the same parts over and over again, I was not getting consistent lap times with it. Put a lipo in it and the weight distribution was off and had to adjust it as best as possible. I did not like the feel of belt driven probably because i also drive nitro. I switched to the B44 and it was night and day for me. I have been racing a B44 for atleast 6 months and i thoroughly like this car. Much faster and consistent lap times. I have only broken a shock shaft and 1 A-arm which were totally my fault. Diffs are super-easy to work on. Car looks more complicated then it is. Drive train feels great and it jumps extremely well. I put a lipo in it and also adjusted the weight distribution but it was much simpler because of the saddle pack design. This made it very easy to balance. Also don't forget about the part supply, This can make all the difference in which car you choose. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you get.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC View Post
This is usually personal preference but i can tell you about my own personal experience. I used to run a xxx4 and now run a b44. With the xxx4 i noticed that i kept breaking the same parts over and over again, I was not getting consistent lap times with it. Put a lipo in it and the weight distribution was off and had to adjust it as best as possible. I did not like the feel of belt driven probably because i also drive nitro. I switched to the B44 and it was night and day for me. I have been racing a B44 for atleast 6 months and i thoroughly like this car. Much faster and consistent lap times. I have only broken a shock shaft and 1 A-arm which were totally my fault. Diffs are super-easy to work on. Car looks more complicated then it is. Drive train feels great and it jumps extremely well. I put a lipo in it and also adjusted the weight distribution but it was much simpler because of the saddle pack design. This made it very easy to balance. Also don't forget about the part supply, This can make all the difference in which car you choose. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you get.
Just curious on what parts were repetitively broken? I'm looking for a 4WD for a 2nd class, and you can pick these up pretty cheap used with a ton of spare parts....
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

I ended many races due to the spindles and carriers. But also broke some molded outdrives, A-arms, and shock towers.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #34
Suspended

Thumbs up AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL!

B44 is by far the best i've driven,it drives it self hands down for the $$$ best car!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Just curious on what parts were repetitively broken? I'm looking for a 4WD for a 2nd class, and you can pick these up pretty cheap used with a ton of spare parts....
XXX4 is usually steering hubs and front shock towers and inner pivot parts.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

I've owned both. Stay away from the XXX4 if you run on a rough track. The XX4 would be a better choice if you want to run Losi.
Not to take anything away from the B44, but the shocks are a pita to keep smooth. You also get occasional blow outs with them. Sometimes the part that snaps and keeps the spacers and orings in. Pops out and you get shock oil all over your susp. I've had his happen to my b4, t4, and b44.
You also have to make sure and tighten the upper inside camber link ballstuds every once in awhile. They always seem to loosen up.
B44>XXX4

Last edited by Dasupacat1; 10-21-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #37
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Between the B44 and the XXX4? The B44 all day long.

Now add the XX4 into the mix, and the story is a little different. The XX4 will require you to become a bit of a bit of a scholar and a tinkerer since most used ones are ragged out. There are many updates and advancements that keep the car fast and durable.

If you want a car you can run out of the box and have tons of setup support for, get the B44, despite the AE shocks.

If you are open to other options, check out the Kyosho ZX-5 SP or the Hot Bodies D4.

Last edited by ruf; 10-21-2008 at 04:31 PM.
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The xxx4 is a neat car but on a tight indoor track the limited steering lock and exaggerated ackermann work against it. Some of the alloy parts used to strenthen the front and rear suspension aren't available new anymore so durability can be a problem. Once you do some mods though it really can run well.

The b44 is a great car, great support, setups are there. You really can't go wrong here although IMO it seems the most predictable, driveable cars (xx4, zx5 sp,) use a plastic/graphite molded chassis--not a flat carbon one. I always feel the flat carbon cars are more on edge--just harder to drive.

If you want a competitive Losi 4wd the xx4 is fantastic--and I would say a superior car in pretty much every area to the xxx4. Its probably my overall favorite car--its not available new and some of the used ones are ragged out but all the replacement parts including chassis are available and the "newer" style setups let it compete successfully with any 4wd car out. Add to the fact that the drivetrain drag issue with 3 belts isn't really an issue at all and is greatly exaggerated. I was very surprised the first time I took one out with the same motor and gearing as my other 4wds (xxx4, bj4, 501x) and the xx4 didn't really acclerate any slower--wasn't lacking at all for speed.

Don't sleep on the zx5 sp or the saddle FS--awesome, awesome cars.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

B44
B4 Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #40
Tech Elite

B44 hands down.
Shirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nitronut3

Depends on the track,
Outdoor, b44 hands down.
Indoor, xxx4 beacuse its silly fast when theres traction.
But i made the switch to the AE car and at first was weary, but once i drove it i was confident on the choice i made.
The xxx4 is very reactive over the rough stuff,
If the b44 had better shocks, it'd be almost unbeatable.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Run the B4 front unubtanium shock shafts they are a .71 versus the stock .81 it will fix alot of the shaft breakage on the front and that will give you Tebo's setup without having to do all the spacers like his is and they are alot stronger
Blade Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote