Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho zx-5 tallest pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Kyosho zx-5 tallest pinion?

Can anyone tell me what is the tallest pinion they have run in their zx-5? I am currently running a 78 spur and might goto a 76 but I am going brushless 17.5t and am looking for a fdr in the 5 area. I have been told the largest pinion that can be fitted is a 32 which would bring me into the high fives. Would a 35t fit as I am looking for a fdr of around 5.5 ish.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default kyosho-zx-5-tallest-pinion

In response to the "Kyosho zx-5 tallest pinion" question.

You'll overheat with that kind of gearing. Try using the stock setup and depending on how hot your motor and ESP get adjust from there. Too hot and reduce the pinion, too low and bump up. Read up about your ESP and motor to find out what temps are safe. I'm no expert but from what I've read anything over 175 degree F is not good.

BTW, it's a lot less work to swap the pinion. Once you have the pinion dialed in then consider going with the 76 spur for a more fine tuned adjustment (i.e. get closer to the top end for heat without going overboard).

FWIW. I'm using a Castle Creations Sidewinder with 5700 motor in my ZX-5 and it overheats with anything higher than 18t pinion. the 17.5 can take more pinion than that without risking too much heat I'm sure but it's all about managing temps no matter which motor and ESP combo you have.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Try fitting a Kimbrough 66t spur, using the Traxxas slipper pucks in the holes where the bearings would go. This should get you to the 5 FDR your looking for pretty easily.

The 17.5 loves tall gearing and doesnt produce much heat, it is no comparison with the 5700 mamba. I ran the 4600 mamba in my ZX5 running 21/81 and it was awesome.

Let me know how the experiment works, I have thinking about running a 13.5 or 17.5 in my 4wd cars, I just drive better with the lower RPM motors.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I have a mate that is running the novak 17.5 in his d4 with a fdr of around 5.5 and it doesnt overheat. I think I am basically gonna get pinions 32 through to say 35 and see how the temps go. The problem is however that I am told that the tallest that will fit is a 32 pinion with a 76 spur as the motor mount will only allow that much movement to fit the pinion. I may have to mod the motor mount to allow me to go higher with the pinion. I think a 27t pinion is around 16mm diameter, the tallest pinion that will fit is around 18mm diameter but I cant seem to find these taller pinions diameter.

Last edited by lookiezx-5; 10-09-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookiezx-5
Yeah I have a mate that is running the novak 17.5 in his d4 with a fdr of around 5.5 and it doesnt overheat. I think I am basically gonna get pinions 32 through to say 35 and see how the temps go. The problem is however that I am told that the tallest that will fit is a 32 pinion with a 76 spur as the motor mount will only allow that much movement to fit the pinion. I may have to mod the motor mount to allow me to go higher with the pinion. I think a 27t pinion is around 16mm diameter, the tallest pinion that will fit is around 18mm diameter but I cant seem to find these taller pinions diameter.
here is a 30T 48P Pinion. Just not in stock at the moment.

And Robinson Racing have 28T until 35T for you to play around with.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah i got it sorted today. I am going to be running a 76t spur with a 34t pinion. It will fit without having to modify the motor mount just . That will give me a fdr of 5.58 which is what I need.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'm running a 10.5 novak brushless in my zx-5 sp. what pinion would be good for this, i have the stock 78t spur. not looking for lots of run time just 5-7 minutes for racing.