R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

question:
When using the stock flywheel....do you guys have clutch springs? I am reading the RTR manual and it doesn't show about putting clutch springs.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:15 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not 100% sure but you should have a spring wrapped around the shoes sitting in a groove. Without a spring the shoe will grab the bell as soon as the engine is lit (no neutral or idle).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:19 PM   #48
Tech Apprentice

The Associated clutch doesn't have springs, it seems to work fine, but I changed mine over to a MIP clutch w/spring.
Kiiski

And my 2 cents worth on the whole AE vs. Losi thing, in my opinion anyway, the Losi is easier to drive smoothly and is probably a better handling truck for a finesse type driver and the GT is better for the driver that has a more aggressive driving style. Yes the GT is tougher, but since we don't hit pipes or land wrong ever durability shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind also, and I feel this is a big issue, is what about parts availability. If your local hobby shop carries Associated parts and not Losi parts, then I would lean toward AE.
Kiiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:07 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AreCee
I'm not 100% sure but you should have a spring wrapped around the shoes sitting in a groove. Without a spring the shoe will grab the bell as soon as the engine is lit (no neutral or idle).
weird huh? During the tub chassis days...clutch springs were used. You are correct.....I don't understand the reason why they got rid of the springs.......the clutch would grab right away .....no idle.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:28 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It may be weird but AE doesn't use springs in their clutch. I checked their site and confirmed it.

What makes this even weirder is that they use springs and have an optional spring for the NTC3.

Last edited by AreCee; 10-30-2003 at 06:37 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:09 PM   #51
Tech Elite

I heard the mIP clutch doesn't have a good idle and accerleration is poor......the best one is the AE 4 shoe....is this true?

To change PS to non PS: correct me if I'm wrong
I have to get the following parts
non pull start engine mounts
new mount for transmission
non pull flywheel
non pull manifold

......is this right? or did I miss something.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The mip clutch works great and your list seems to be correct.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #53
Tech Elite

KingZJ
whats your setup like in your MIP clutch?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:31 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I run it trailing with no weights. I also have a mip heavy flywheel installed. You might have to stretch the spring a little, some of the newer clutches have a little to tight of a spring. Remember their is a breakin in period for the clutch so if its not perfect out of the box give it a little time. You will need to take it apart after a couple of tanks and make sure it is clean and fee of oil. Don't get any fuel on the bell either that will also cause problems. The heavy flywheel helps smooth out throttle transition it is very noticable, however it is not needed with high traction situations but those are rare with a nitro truck.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:39 AM   #55
Tech Apprentice

You don't absolutely have to have these items, though it does lower the engine a bit, lowering the center of gravity. I put an OS 12tr in mine and only had to change the manifold, mainly because it is a rear exhaust motor.
The MIP clutch works fine, I have never tried the AE 4 shoe, but have heard good things about it from a few people that come to my track.
Kiiski
Kiiski is offline   Reply With Quote