R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Where do you live!
Posts: 3
Post Is So. Cali still the MECCA of R/C

Good Day Ladies And Gentlemen,

I recently started racing R/C cars again after a long, long break. Come to find out that all my old friends still race but by a thread. When I used to race, there were three perhaps four tracks in southern Cali that were indoor. There were people practically living at the track. What happened? I know gas racing has gotten larger but what happened to the 1/10 scale electric people? Is this more of an east coast hobby all of a sudden. I purchased a T4 truck with all the electronics and recently started racing it. I couldn't believe the cost involved. What we would have given up before to race for so cheap. I mean, tires are always expensive but the lipo batteries and brushless motors alone are awesome. No more cutting motors every night and replacing brushes. I still see people running brushed motors but not everybody. Did people get spoiled and look for some other hobby? How many tracks are there in So. Cali? Where are all the old pros?

Please respond to me when you can. I hope we can get this industry back to what it once was.
Catch Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

OCRC is a really nice indoor 1/10 electric offoard track in hunington beach, thunder alley is in beaumond and it really nice (had the ROAR nationals over there) and is mostly for 1/8 nitro, and I will name somes other but I dont know alot of information about them: revelation raceway (revrace.com) hot rod hobbies, pegasus, and there is a couple "backyard" tracks that people race in Joshusha Tree and Morongo Valley.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I also just got back into R/C electric after a long time off. I raced gas for a little bit but i like electric more. I rememeber what you are talking about.
Race Prep in Chatsworth. So. Cal. in Garden Grove. MnM in Corona. The Ranch in Pomona.
It seems there arent very many "electric" tracks around except OCRC. 1/8 scale beats up the tracks. I know its off road but it still sucks a little.
215slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
stfitzgerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
OCRC is a really nice indoor 1/10 electric offoard track in hunington beach, thunder alley is in beaumond and it really nice (had the ROAR nationals over there) and is mostly for 1/8 nitro, and I will name somes other but I dont know alot of information about them: revelation raceway (revrace.com) hot rod hobbies, pegasus, and there is a couple "backyard" tracks that people race in Joshusha Tree and Morongo Valley.
I live in yucca valley and that track in joshua tree (ground control) closed the hobby store moved but the track is gone.
__________________
ALL STATE DRIVESHAFT
TEKNO PERFORMANCE PARTS
stfitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
stfitzgerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Me View Post
Good Day Ladies And Gentlemen,

I recently started racing R/C cars again after a long, long break. Come to find out that all my old friends still race but by a thread. When I used to race, there were three perhaps four tracks in southern Cali that were indoor. There were people practically living at the track. What happened? I know gas racing has gotten larger but what happened to the 1/10 scale electric people? Is this more of an east coast hobby all of a sudden. I purchased a T4 truck with all the electronics and recently started racing it. I couldn't believe the cost involved. What we would have given up before to race for so cheap. I mean, tires are always expensive but the lipo batteries and brushless motors alone are awesome. No more cutting motors every night and replacing brushes. I still see people running brushed motors but not everybody. Did people get spoiled and look for some other hobby? How many tracks are there in So. Cali? Where are all the old pros?

Please respond to me when you can. I hope we can get this industry back to what it once was.
Every thing jumped up a scale and went nitro.I did the same thing left the hobby and racing and came back.I live in socal too.
__________________
ALL STATE DRIVESHAFT
TEKNO PERFORMANCE PARTS
stfitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfitzgerald View Post
I live in yucca valley and that track in joshua tree (ground control) closed the hobby store moved but the track is gone.
Go into Ground Control in Yucca and the owner (Ed I believe) will tell you about the backyard tracks. Like when I was there up for the weekend he said they were racing 10th scale trucks at one backyard track in Joshusha tree and they have 3 backyard tracks theat are pretty well maintained.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Where do you live!
Posts: 3
Smile Thanks for the reply,

I've been to OCRC and it is a very nice facility, but what I'm trying to say is why did people go 1/8 scale over 1/10? Are there any other track indoor or offroad within the southbay are or orange county without going out to the boondocks and spending more on gas than my week of racing? I like a little change, yes ocrc will be your home track but don't you feel a strawberry ice cream will taste better than always eating perfect French vanilla. Is anyone working on a new track or should I come back into the hobby in another 11 years. I don't blame Kinwald for moving and I'm sure its not only because of the track selection. Please get back to me with any info.
__________________
You know me.
Catch Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The OC
Posts: 291
Default

A lot of great RC companies are here in Southern California.

AE
Losi
Kyosho
Novak

They are all within about 60 minutes drive of each other.
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Me View Post
I've been to OCRC and it is a very nice facility, but what I'm trying to say is why did people go 1/8 scale over 1/10? Are there any other track indoor or offroad within the southbay are or orange county without going out to the boondocks and spending more on gas than my week of racing? I like a little change, yes ocrc will be your home track but don't you feel a strawberry ice cream will taste better than always eating perfect French vanilla. Is anyone working on a new track or should I come back into the hobby in another 11 years. I don't blame Kinwald for moving and I'm sure its not only because of the track selection. Please get back to me with any info.

1/8th scale is easier to drive and bigger size i suppose is mor impressive.
__________________
Island Raceway & Hobby
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch Me View Post
I've been to OCRC and it is a very nice facility, but what I'm trying to say is why did people go 1/8 scale over 1/10? Are there any other track indoor or offroad within the southbay are or orange county without going out to the boondocks and spending more on gas than my week of racing? I like a little change, yes ocrc will be your home track but don't you feel a strawberry ice cream will taste better than always eating perfect French vanilla. Is anyone working on a new track or should I come back into the hobby in another 11 years. I don't blame Kinwald for moving and I'm sure its not only because of the track selection. Please get back to me with any info.
Your best option for electric offroad would be OCRC and Pegasus hobbies.
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
JamesnMeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,224
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

The electric scene is making a comeback and both Pegasus and OCRC have a great race program. At Pegasus we have seen it grow from a few racers a year ago to roughly 35 to 50 on any given weekend. The same can be said for OCRC as they have sparked new interest in the hobby and have been getting great turn outs.

The 1/10 scale electric race scene died a bit but is coming back. Look at all the new 1/10 scale 2wd and 4wd buggies. Not sure if we will ever get back to how it was in the 80's and early 90's but things are looking good right now. We have to strong tracks that wont be going anywhere and this will bring more people into the hobby.
__________________
The Stadium at Pegasus Hobbies:tire:
JamesnMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
STEALTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manila & California
Posts: 3,019
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

No doubt Southern California is still the "Mecca" of R/C and especially R/C Racing. Try following and getting involved in the EP JBRL (Jimmy Babcock Racing League) which hits tracks all over SoCal. Going to Pegasus and Hot Rod Hobbies for Club racing wouldn't be bad either if you don't mind the drive... your also in luck since you run a T4! The REEDY RACE OF CHAMPIONS is this month (Oct.24-26) at Hot Rod... I definitely wouldn't miss it if I was in town! Oh and yes... a lot of the Pros will be there! Check the links below...


http://www.jimmybabcock.com/2008_Electric_Home.htm


http://www.hotrodhobbies.com/Main_frame.htm
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered User
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

where are the alternatives for that title. i cant think of a valid 1 honestly. look at the buggy worlds entry sheet for example. lotta 'FF miles' were logged by US drivers over to the farm 2.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
kdeselms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,019
Default

R/C was never even on my radar, growing up in Colorado. I had to move to California to discover it, as an old man (well...oldER). As far as I know, there are only a couple of tracks back home, out here they're all over the place (but like everything in Southern California, you have to drive for hours).

I think there's a ton of room and opportunity for growth in this hobby/sport, though. Just needs better promotion and increased mainstream exposure.
__________________
Kevin Deselms
Associated Factory Team SC10
Webmaster, www.hotrodhobbies.com
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulin79 View Post
A lot of great RC companies are here in Southern California.

AE
Losi
Kyosho
Novak

They are all within about 60 minutes drive of each other.
Proline is also located in Beaumond by Thunder Alley. There are a couple couple more but I cant think of them right now.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do we need r/c magazines anymore? KDagh1 Chat Lounge 13 01-18-2008 03:23 PM
Does R/C racing really belong on TV? Motor City Hami Electric On-Road 82 10-17-2006 12:54 PM
New Southern Cali Parking Lot Track R/C HEAT Track Locator Forum 13 12-23-2003 04:45 PM
Southern Cali R/C TRACK LOCATER empire racing Track Locator Forum 3 11-18-2003 08:50 PM
Team Losi Products Closout Sale Kevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 39 01-05-2002 03:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:52 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net