R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

same thing happened to 10th off-road that happens to most/all classes. it got stagnant. the machines reached a certain point where you bought the kit and that was it. the level of competition was taken to the Nth degree, it became harder and harder for new sportsman looking to have fun and some success to compete, etc.

12th scale - same way
oval - same way
micros - same way
sedan - same way
1/8th & truggy - getting to the point.

the electronics are bringing some life back to 1/10th, though it will only be a matter of time until we start seeing the equipment being taken back to where it was pre-lipo/bl days. we're just in the equivelant of the 1200SC sport pack with 1700SCE's starting to come on the scene.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Dont feel so bad over there. I am in Florida, and to race at a track with a decent class of electric offroad, you have to drive almost 2 hours. All the good tracks in Orlando are no more. And for some reason, 8th scale nitro is popular. I dont get it, either. I have been racing since 1988. I never thought I would see electric offroad being the "red-headed stepchild" of RC.
AndyH5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #18
Tech Elite

a) the demographics have changed. more lazy rtr types now so they don't care about the track - just run 8th scale cuz its "big" its "fast" and the track doesn't "matter".

b) too many tracks sprang up. kinda like too many classes. Things get diluted and you end up racing less people. Like the rest of the USA we are in a consolidation period.

I'd wager florida is the place. 2 Nitro off-road series, an electric off-road series, electric on-road series, nitro on-road series, elec/nitro dirt oval series.. and for the last few years there was an paved oval series but thats no longer going (not related to a popularity issue as far as I'm aware). oh and Boylan's Carpet Cup series.

andy, there hasn't been a consistent off-road track in orlando since GOAR closed down back in the late 90s. too many urbanites with their pipes and spinners lol. there won't be a track there until somebody runs it consistently. or anywhere else for that matter.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 215slowpoke View Post
I also just got back into R/C electric after a long time off. I raced gas for a little bit but i like electric more. I rememeber what you are talking about.
Race Prep in Chatsworth. So. Cal. in Garden Grove. MnM in Corona. The Ranch in Pomona.
It seems there arent very many "electric" tracks around except OCRC. 1/8 scale beats up the tracks. I know its off road but it still sucks a little.
ahhhh.... the good old days of 1/10 offroad electric i raced at most of those tracks (didn't run at Race Prep). you forgot about RC Offroad Raceway in Costa Mesa (wish i raced there)

My RC Racing Blog- http://ra99gt-rcracing.blogspot.com/
My YouTube Channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/ra99gt
RA99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Yeah, your best bets for electric offroad in SoCal will be OCRC in Huntington Beach and Pegasus in Montclair. I know a guy with a backyard track in corona if that helps any lol. The pegasus program has been getting better and better and for the JBRL offroad electric series, many agree that pegasus was actually one of the best tracks they raced at the entire season. Good stuff.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Tech Adept

the east coast has some awsome tracks for electrics especially florida, virginia and pennsylvania. Once you get into new england where I am, the electric seen does definately drop off. Nitro is real BIG. Your best bet for east coast electic racing is down toward the south.

I also believe electric will pick up rapidly since the rush to find alternate fuel is on, there wont be any oil to put in nitro fuel

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I think BL and lipo is reviving the electric side of the hobby. Much less maintance (and cost) and a lot of race programs are running longer mains with the new technology which I feel was the biggest draw for the gas side of things. You just have to keep adding fuel to keep playing with gas cars (well almost) With these new long running lipo batteries and near zero maintance BL motors you can run 20-25 min at a time no problem with electric cars.

OCRC has seen some real consistant crowds for racing. Pegasus program has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 2 years and now has a real good base support group and some great racing. Hot Rod hobbies has a mixed electric/nitro club program. The JBRL electric and Nitro series have been drawing 150+ entries per event on average. This years electric offroad nationals had the largest attendance in YEARS being back in southern california. With many top drivers still calling so cal home and most all of the manufactures having bases in the area I would say without a doubt this is still the place to be. Fla has always had a strong R/C base as well. I would say with Kyosho and hot bodies getting in the mix with real race pedigree cars the hobby is growing again.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Please pardon my ignorance, having never had the chance to visit California. Are there tracks withing a reasonable driving distance anywhere in the state, or are they concentrated in certain areas? I'm not sure if it is still the case, but I would marvel over the fact that you could race almost any night of the week over there.

There is a good amount of racers here in Florida, however Orlando is lacking if you are wanting to race 10th scale offroad (or offroad at all, for that matter). As a matter of fact, there are no permanent tracks in Orlando at all (at least that I am aware of). Daytona has a nice track, however it is mostly 8th scale nitro. Other than that its 2 hours to Tampa or 2 hours the other way to Ocala for 10th scale electric.

When I hit the lotto (tonight, of course), I know what I am going to do.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

There are alot of tracks In Southern California from San Diego to Bakersfield and out to Ventura.
The closest track to me is about 20 minutes. I choose to drive 35 minutes to a different track because it has a onsite hobby shop, better turn out and what i feel is a better track. If i want to race electric off road i can race Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. My longest drive would be 1.5 hours to race. That is betweeen 3 tracks.
I'd guess there are about 15 tracks to race at within a 2 hour drive from where i live (ventura County) that include both nitro and electric, on road and off road. In the late 90's there were even more.
215slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

Like Fla CA is a long state. Top to bottom is about about 10hr drive.

Most all the tracks are concentrated southern california. Within about 1.5 hours of my house there are 8-10 tracks I could visit between nitro and electric tracks.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
Tech Elite

10 hrs top to bottom for cali?

i dunno man, it took me 6 hours to drive to San Francisco, woulda been 8 if i left from san diego which is near the bottom...

or maybe you meant something else lol.

All thats left for southern california to be THE place for every kind of track is an indoor asphalt track for 1/10th tc.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Sell I said top to bottom. not SD to SF.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #28
Tech Addict

You guys make me sick! LOL.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Sell I said top to bottom. not SD to SF.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

No, Traxxas is located in Texas.