Brushed mod motors extinct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed mod motors extinct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Sorry to get back on topic , but I think brushed motors will never disappear completely. For a start, they are a lot cheaper than brushless if you're looking at converting (20 set-ups RC Dad, holy sh*t!), and it will be YEARS before the manufacturing capacity, and therefore cost of, brushless is there for high performance brushless motors to come down to the level of brushed.

What I find odd is that soooooo many people are trying to justify brushless, beacause you can tweak and tune it for hours to get it behaving similar or better than brushed. When the day comes you can buy a brushless motor and ESC that plugs in and does what a mod motor can do, i'd say the tide has turned. From what i've read on these forums (and others), brushless is still in it's infancy, and it has a LOT of catching up to do.

I'm not a brushless hater, i'm converting. Just an old man making an observation.

BTW, I rock my Tech 1210's and vinyl, oldschool is where it's at. PPL get off on seeing a DJ kick it old school and rocking a dance floor
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Brushless prices will come down with time-the technology is still new enough that its very expensive, but with time the prices will come down.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC Dad
I was looking at those light series for that same reason. What are thoughts on the Sphere or GTB speedos so I can go back and forth between B/BL if the track requires it?
Also, 17.5 is the stock equivalent, right (for 1/12 scale)? Does it have to be sensored to be ROAR legal? Are there BL speedos that do both sensored and non?
I (and others) have used Lights with a GTB, it worked fine, well as long as the GTB worked anyway. I know fast guys running both the LRP and GTB with brushed, seems good. The Speed Passion GT works with everything, brushed, sensored, sensorless. Haven’t tried brushed with it. Tekin RS does everything too, an old fave of mine, I’ll probably be trying one soon.

Don’t know about 12th scale, would like to get back in myself if the class ever develops locally.

As I understand it Roar explicitly requires sensored motors only for stock, but the motors have to be on the approved list stock or mod. Apparently you don’t actually have to use a sensored ESC the way the rules are written. A loophole I think.

Oh, I have three turntables and many cartridges, even thinking about buying a new Rega table. Vinyl rocks on. But it is a hassle to get it right!

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Dad
I was trying to hunt up some replacement motors or arms for our mod stash and everyone's out of stock. I can still find plenty of stocks and specs but I see that AE is clearancing out all their Reedy's on their ebay store; Horizon, Tower and Stormer all have only random single winds and a few low-end Flash/Speed Gems left. How will I keep the SBV2 going faster than 1/8 scale buggies without a fresh 10d?

Is this the end of the Mod motor era? Are we all doomed to run brushless? ....will...not...be...converted...aaaagh!
What will all the RTR bashers do when their Titan 12's and LRP 15's bite the dust after no maintenance?
I took a look myself, just out of curiosity. We have over 30 different 10 turn motors still listed. That's just 10 turn. How are you searching for them?
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...owt=on&omode=0

Looks as though we still list over 400 different brushed modified motors. That's not 400 motors, that's 400 part numbers of mod motors.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Brushless gives you time to space out between the heats. Too bad for the motor tuners that we used to support.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I'm tied for 1st in a best 6 of 8 series with race six this Fri 10/10. With my B4 with a 14x2 motor. Have raced it with 19T Spec, 10T and 27 Stock and have always returned to a 14x2 cause it's just right for me, now with a Core-RC 5000 lipo it's even SWEETER!!!

The guy I'm tied with is running a LRP BL setup and I TQ him every time we race!!!

As long as I have the B4 and can get 14x2's I'll not put a BL in it.

I do have BL in my T4 and it depends on the track which BL motor I use a 5.5 or a 10.5.

Brush just isn't getting much press at this time cause BL is still the "new" thing!

AND it seems the motor manufacturers see that the future maybe limited for brush motors.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Bob, I searched under motors-mod motors from the menu so maybe some weren't categorized correctly? Or else you got some more in. Those Cobalt 10D flatwires weren't in the list the first time. I just haven't ever had good luck with single-winds and thats mostly what everyone has left

Yep JR007 we have waaay too many cars, but both my kids race too. Between the three of us we currently run a Losi XXXT, 2 BK1's, XXX4G+; Associated T4, B4; Academy SB, SBv2, GVT2 (preordered) in off-road. Carpet brings out 2 mini-T's, 2 RC18s, X-ray M18, Itsy Bitsy Spyder, CRC 3.1, 3.2 and a Speed Merchant 3. Plus 3 nitros and several bashers and 'legacy' models. The only locally available classes we don't cover are MT and TC

Expense aside, it's nice to know that we'll have enough to make a class of whatever we bring each day to almost any track. We trade up 2-3 cars each year, this year all the old Losi's will likely become Academies.