R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCRat Send a message via Skype™ to RCRat
Default Novak Havoc or Sidewinder??

I thinking about getting the Novak Havoc system (http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ort/index.html) or the Sidewinder 4600??

What do you think?
RCRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Havoc. Anything Novak over castle gets my vote.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Havoc sounds pretty good! Especially since it uses "sensored" motors.
Waiting for them to be in stores... haven't seen one yet. Hope they come out with a 17.5 motor bundle!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

The Havoc is supposed to be available with 21.5 to 8.5 motors .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

I would go with the castle Sidewinder system. Can't beat the price and has a great feel to it. Also great customer service. I'm not going to bash the novak system because I think Novak makes a great system. I just think the Castle Sidewinder system is better.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alberico View Post
I would go with the castle Sidewinder system. Can't beat the price and has a great feel to it. Also great customer service. I'm not going to bash the novak system because I think Novak makes a great system. I just think the Castle Sidewinder system is better.
I thought that two when I was first getting into brushless . 90% of the racers at my track were running either mamba or sidewinder and by the time I was ready for a brushless many of them switched to Novak due to problems they had . Besides many tracks follow ROAR rules and won`t allow sensorless systems . But I heard the Mamba Max Pro that is coming is supposed to be sensored .
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
I thought that two when I was first getting into brushless . 90% of the racers at my track were running either mamba or sidewinder and by the time I was ready for a brushless many of them switched to Novak due to problems they had . Besides many tracks follow ROAR rules and won`t allow sensorless systems. But I heard the Mamba Max Pro that is coming is supposed to be sensored .
ROAR Rules do not disallow sensorless. There are specs for motors and a sensorless motor built to ROAR specs is legal. Castle motors are not built to ROAR specs and that's why Castle motors are not ROAR legal. It has nothing to do with being sensorless.

BTW, I am running a Novak 8.5 with 13MM rotor on a Castle Sidewinder ESC. Works fine. Actually, I think it works better than with the Novak controller because I can, and have, tuned the ESC using the Castle Link. With the ESC tuning I have got it to feel more like a brushed motor instead of the typical brushless with the uncontrollable torque that makes driving difficult on a slippery off-road track. The sensor cable is zip-tied to my shock tower.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Do it right and get a Lrp sphere comp, Speed passion or a Losi xcelerion system.

Don't be cheap. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
ROAR Rules do not disallow sensorless. There are specs for motors and a sensorless motor built to ROAR specs is legal. Castle motors are not built to ROAR specs and that's why Castle motors are not ROAR legal. It has nothing to do with being sensorless.

BTW, I am running a Novak 8.5 with 13MM rotor on a Castle Sidewinder ESC. Works fine. Actually, I think it works better than with the Novak controller because I can, and have, tuned the ESC using the Castle Link. With the ESC tuning I have got it to feel more like a brushed motor instead of the typical brushless with the uncontrollable torque that makes driving difficult on a slippery off-road track. The sensor cable is zip-tied to my shock tower.
Maybe you should reread the rules . Right from their rulebook ,

"Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored
type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing."
Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

so you're both right. it just depends what class you are running. I have now seen quite a few threads of people claiming problems with Novak, castle, and LRP. Things go in spurts.

personally i like the mamba max system (used it in my stampede and used to run it in my converted revo). if you are going to just bash go for the one that is cheaper, if you are going to race use the one that the rules dictate.

lastly you might want to check on the novak and sidewinder for how much battery each can handle.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I run a Mamba Max 5700 in my XXX-CR and my son runs a sidewinder 5700 in his XXX-T MF1. As far as Im concerned I have no reason to buy otherwise. I love the simple set up features with the castle link for both. No waiting for beeps or blinks. Just hook it up and set it by numbers. Dont get much easier then that. As far as Brushless systems go Ill buy a castle over anything else if i can.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You have a link to that? I tried to search for that phrase at:

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/2007rulebook.pdf

And I couldn't find it...

Nobody uses sensorless motors in Stock or Super Stock because they're not wound in a legal manner. *That's* is what makes them illegal, not the fact that they don't have hall effect sensors. Legal b/l motors with the proper winds don't make enough back EMF signal to allow a sensorless ESC to locate/sense the rotor properly on startup...so they stutter a little until they get up to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Maybe you should reread the rules . Right from their rulebook ,

"Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored
type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing."
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
I run a Mamba Max 5700 in my XXX-CR and my son runs a sidewinder 5700 in his XXX-T MF1. As far as Im concerned I have no reason to buy otherwise. I love the simple set up features with the castle link for both. No waiting for beeps or blinks. Just hook it up and set it by numbers. Dont get much easier then that. As far as Brushless systems go Ill buy a castle over anything else if i can.
See what you may not realize is all things aren't equal. The feel that gives you compared to the others is where it's lacking.

I am sure you know nothing else so you don't realize what a great speedo is compared to a mediocre one.

My buddyb recently bought a novak gtb and he is selling, it to get another sphere..... cause thats what he has in the 2wd.

His exact words were.... "It's just such a pleasure to drive with the sphere" "this GTB isn't."

Nuff said.. he is a good racer.

They are not EQUAL. You can surely win with either one if your good enough but one is more of pleasure to use then another.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
You have a link to that? I tried to search for that phrase at:

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/2007rulebook.pdf

And I couldn't find it...

Nobody uses sensorless motors in Stock or Super Stock because they're not wound in a legal manner. *That's* is what makes them illegal, not the fact that they don't have hall effect sensors. Legal b/l motors with the proper winds don't make enough back EMF signal to allow a sensorless ESC to locate/sense the rotor properly on startup...so they stutter a little until they get up to speed.

Your link is for the 2007 rule book , not 2008 .

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

Page 45, 8.8
Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I use Novak gear in my stock brushed set up and just dont care for the set up. Ive seen the GTB used by friends and the track and they have to go thru the same mess to set it up. Plus you look at the fan wrong it breaks. So no its not "All I know"
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote