R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racing buggies VS monster trucks

I have a buggy or two and also a blackfoot and some other monster trucks. I was curious about the racing scene. I'm in NY... first of all how does it work? I imagine there are races for stock buggies etc... Is it regulated by motor type? like races for 19 turn 540 motors? Do buggies only race buggies and monster trucks only race other trucks? Please someone enlighten me. Thanks! BTW I'm an electric Tamiya guy only, that is all I like, that is all I use.
glev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yea in NY we race on Long island in a indoor facility...

Classes we run are as follows

19t 2wd electric Bugggy

Mod 2wd electric Buggy

Mod 2wd Truck ~ T4 & xxx-t cr

Mod 4wd electric buggy

Traxxas Spec Slash class.

2wd buggy and slash are good places to start.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

19t 2wd electric Bugggy

Mod 2wd electric Buggy

Mod 2wd Truck ~ T4 & xxx-t cr

Mod 4wd electric buggy

Traxxas Spec Slash class.
Thanks!
So 19 turn motor is the slowest motor in the buggy class? Mod means modified? So people dont race stock monster trucks? If you race in the modified class then you can have whatever you want in there? I've never even been to a race so I really am a noob. So I dont have a traxxas slash, could I race my blackfoot in that race or woud it have to be a slash? I guess a lot of people must have traxxas slash trucks to allow a whole race dedicated to it.. I guess I will have to mod my blackfoot and race it in the 2wd mod truck race? I can throw anything I want in? What do people generally use?

Thanks again, I'm totally just getting back into this since I was a kid.. that's why I'm loyal to tamiya, it's what I remember from the 80s, and also the Tamiya cars just got more style.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Actually most of us run 19t's in mod. But essentially yea it's not a spec motor class

You as a newb should not run Mod 2wd buggy.

You could run a blackfoot in mod truck.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Where exactly are the races? Maybe I could come watch. Does it cost anything to watch? What about to race?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
You could run a blackfoot in mod truck.
But I wouldn't recommend it...

I'm a Tamiya fan as well, but I've diversified in order to have more fun racing at the track. It's fun to be different, but you really need setup and parts support to have a good time racing. Otherwise, it's just no fun doing donuts in every corner and then breaking to find that there are no parts in the hobby shop to fix your car... This is ESPECIALLY true if you are just starting out, since an experienced racer can drive around a poor handling car, but a new racer really needs all the help they can get in terms of a decent setup. New racers also tend to wreck and break more stuff, so having parts available to get you back up and running is really important. Nothing like paying a track fee to drive for 2 minutes, break, and go home.

In terms of car selection, no one really races "monster trucks", they are all stadium trucks which basically means AE or Losi. Honestly, I'd keep your monster trucks just for fun. The easiest class to get into the hobby is 2WD stock truck, imo. Well that was before the Slash - more on that later.

2WD mod buggy is pretty difficult to drive. 4WD mod buggy is pretty expensive to maintain. Oddly enough, the only competitive Tamiya off-road vehicles are their 4WDs: TRF501X ($$$), and the budget plastic version the DB01 Durga/Baldre. I've seen a few of the DB01 run very competitively at our track, so I've taken to building one up. If you must race a Tamiya, I'd recommend a DB01 with a 19T once you get used to racing.

Slash - pros and beginner alike LOVE this class. $200. Darn near impossible to break. They handle kinda silly (not super hooked up like a competition buggy/truck), and the racing is a BLAST. This class is just plain fun, and it's a great way to get started in racing. On top of that, you will probably never "grow out of it". There are a lot of old pros that run the Slash class because it's a break from the norm and you can't help but smile when you race these things.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

I agree, the Slash is THE best entry level racing truck...if it had been out when I started four months ago I'd probably be focused on racing that, rather than my T4. The turnouts at the track are always great, the racing is fun, and you almost have to TRY in order to break anything on them.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glev View Post
Where exactly are the races? Maybe I could come watch. Does it cost anything to watch? What about to race?
Long island raceway

www.raceway.com

we are racing tonight we are there till the wee hours of the night. so pop on down before midnight and watch the action it costs nothing.

Let him come and run his blackfoot and get his toes wet. He doesn't need the latest and greatest to have a good time.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys! I would love to come down tonight, but i can't, it'll hafta be next time. As far as the slash, I just need a stock slash? Or are people throwing other stuff in them to race?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glev View Post
Thanks guys! I would love to come down tonight, but i can't, it'll hafta be next time. As far as the slash, I just need a stock slash? Or are people throwing other stuff in them to race?
Anything performance upgrade for the slash is illegal.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote