Motor problem??

Old 04-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor problem??

I was out driving my Kyosho Ultima type R and it than it just took off down my street, crossed a busy street and fortunatly crashed into some bushes. I went down and got it and it was totally dead. I brought it downstairs and started trying to figure out what happened. Heres what I found: When the stock kyosho motor is hooked up to my novak explorer sport, the motor will not reach top speed even when I am giving it full throttle and the LED on the novak indicating fullspeed would not come on HOWEVER, when the I unhooked the motor and gave it full throttle, the highspeed LED came on on the explorer sport. My first thought was that it must be my motor so I hooked my motor up to an MSC that I had laying around. Again, the motor wouldn't reach full speed, it would only reach about 1/5 full speed. I think it might be the motor but I am not sure, any suggestions as to what it might be???? Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Bud
Tech Master

check your brush hoods. might have bent one and be hanging up a brush. Also check to see if there is anything that shouldn't be in there in the motor. twigs, dirt etc.

Bud
Old 04-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

twigs.. hahaha
Old 04-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Bud
Tech Master

warpig, he said he crashed into some bushes. There could be anything in the motor, from a little twig little chunk of dirt, leaf. He needs to look in there and make sure there's nothing in there that doesn't belong in there. Your answer doesn't seem to be aimed toward helping him with his problem. more towards laughing at someone who's trying to help.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

okay? not allowed to laugh about something funny... that's fine.. I can help...
Old 04-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

this was a post I made in another thread... tells you how you "need" to treat your electric motor..

tell you what.. run a direct lead to your motor.. no connectors between it and your esc... pull your motor apart.. clean thouroughly.. get a trinity hood and can aligner.. align the hood and bearings.. or bushings.. make sure the brushes move free.. can actually fall into the hood without pushing it through.. lightly lube the bushing or bearings with proper lube.. shim the arm in the center of the magnetism of the can.. use teflon shims for the outer shims... make sure there is 1-2mm of play and that's all.. do not make it tight.. turn the comm properly... install new brushes and springs according to manufacturers specs or to your racing desire.. time the motor at stock setting... you should be good to go... a clean well managed motor will amaze you..

this is vague I know.. but, maybe it will help
Old 04-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

BTW...

settle down Bud... seriously... I didn't deserve that at all...
Old 04-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Bud
Tech Master

Ok, I'm settled down. We did get some good info from you for Optima's problem, though.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

Stock Kyosho motor? There is the problem. Does the stock motor have a sealed endbell with non-reachable brushes? If it's one of the "throw away" 540 motors, it will never reach the full potential of the Novac ESC. Try upgrading to one of the name brands: Orion, Trinity, Reedy or Epic. They retail for about 30-40 bucks and are easy to install, especially if you get one with surface mounted capacitors, less soldering. Good luck and happy racing!!