R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
Nice!

Is that deep enough to fit most transmitters? Which transmitter do you keep in it?
It's just right for my Futaba 3PM, perfect depth. That tool holder can be reversed and re-attached, so it's just a flat surface that sits on top of the foam part...and there is quite a bit of depth in the top part, so even if the radio sticks out a bit, it's got clearance. If you split the case down the middle, my radio is on one side, the charger and power supply each occupy half the other side (vertically). It ended up being a perfect fit for my stuff and I like having most of my electronics in one case.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

how about the GMK diff dunker. $4 compared to $8 at Amainhobbies
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2020_153105997
http://shopstashtea.com/700111.html

If only I could find one like this at a local store, I'd be happy. No such luck though. No Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Dillons, Lowes, or local hardware stores.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Harbor Freight has cheap decent quality tools and stuff too! I got this case for $20 on sale a while back...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35777

Back when the pic was taken i was carrying my hex wrenches, pliars, radio, batteries, and extra onroad tires in it. Now i carry the hex wrenches/radio/and pliars still but i also have my tire warmers, setup sheets, gear charts, motor spray, 2 sets of onroad tires, and pit towels. There was a point when i was using it to carry extra sets of offroad tires too!

that thing is a steal!
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #34
Tech Apprentice

Fastener Express Has a lot of cheap screws, nuts and washer for RC cars.

Losi XXX-CR
LRP brushless
Sanwa DSSS
h8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

I saw a nice aluminum case at Menards (Midwest home depo type store) for 20$ that was filled with foam. Was thinking it might make a nice transmitter case.

Also don't forget Wal-Mart tackle boxes on clearance after 'fishing season'

Is that really a season?
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Also not to knock another post\thread on here, but paying 15-30$ for a 'pit towel' is a bit excessive in my book.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you are into building your own stuff and you use carbon fiber tubes for anything, online kite stores have awesome prices.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I restock my screws I buy them from MSC Industrial Supply. They are a lot cheaper than McMaster Car... After you buy from them, they send you email coupons all the time for 25-30% your next purchases making them very inexpensive!

http://www.mscdirect.com

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The aluminum case is a great find. I have one that houses two 3pk radios very nicely.

I have a few things to add.

Wal-mart has rubber mats made by sportcraft that make great pit mats. Depending on the size of your table you might be able to make more than one out of it. They usually sell for $20, but are frequently on sale for $15.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4381798

Sam's Club carries a package of Velcro that is a great deal. I think it's about $13. It's usually near the office supply section. It has a long roll as well as the small dots. This is Industrial strength stuff. It holds really strong and the adhesive backing is top notch. A must have for any pit bag. I actually now use it to hold transponders, receivers, and speed controls without any issues. Nothing budges.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=338864

At most home improvement stores, and probably many other places you can now find full spectrum florescent bulbs that put off the same light as the ever popular (yet pricey) Ott-Lite craft lamp. They only cost about 5 bucks, plus they are brighter than the Ott-Lite since you can purchase a 100 watt equivalent bulb. Couple this with a cheap desk/reading lamp and you're good to go for a fraction of the price. I personally will stick with my Ott-Lite since it fits so nicely in my pit bag, but this is a great alternative to anyone just starting out, or with a limited budget.

Ok. I'll stop there for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Let's keep this thread going!
avrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #40
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
BAD ADVICE WARNING

CRC Brakleen or any other brand of brakecleaner are NOT plastic or electronics safe, says so on the label, as it is comprised of heavyduty solvents and as a result the chemicals in it will slowly eat away the epoxy used to secure the windings in place in the motor and will sooner than later lead to BLOWING UP YOUR MOTOR!
Seen it happen tons of times. This has got to be the oldest self-perpetuating wive's tale in RC.

Here again CRC makes a product called Electromotive, an electronics cleaner that IS the same basic chemical product as any other motor cleaner on the market, that costs about the same as brake cleaner (or about 1/2 of what motor spray costs in hobby shops) and is designed to be safely used with electronics pieces and parts.
And what you definitely want to avoid is doing what I did yesterday. I accidentally grabbed my can of Brakleen (red can) instead of my can of Electromotive (Also in red can, and a similar height and diameter to the Brakleen) and proceeded to spray down my motor with it. It was not until I was putting all the supplies away that I realized I grabbed the wrong can. Ooops . Oh well!, the motor still works, and it is the only time I have done this... but it sucks that the cans appear pretty similar, especially when reaching for them in the back of a dark cabinet.
BillConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Thinking of the topic.....where can I get some good allen wrenches? I sold my good stuff on eBay when I got out of the hobby last, and now when I'm re-buying everything, I can't spend a fortune.....

I was thinking Sears or Menards, as they both offer a lifetime warranty....you break it, they give you a new one. Break meaning rounding off the end.....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #42
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Air brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Ash View Post
Airbrush. I bought 2 airbrush kits (2 different nozzle sizes) from a car parts store for 1/2 the price my local hobby shop wanted for their cheepest one.
Terry
http://www.airbrushcity.com
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #43
Tech Elite

speaking of airbrushes.....are there any kits that can work with a standard air compressor? I have a 33gal in the garage, and a 5 gal dual tank portable already. I would hate to have to buy a 3rd if I could use standard air......
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
speaking of airbrushes.....are there any kits that can work with a standard air compressor? I have a 33gal in the garage, and a 5 gal dual tank portable already. I would hate to have to buy a 3rd if I could use standard air......
Any airbrush can be used with those compressors as long as you have a pressure regulator and a moisture trap. Both can be had for far less $ than a dedicated airbrush compressor. I've been airbrushing this way for years.
avrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I my self prefer an air tank from a weld shop for airbrushing instead
of a compressor , much more quieter and will ast a good 6 months to a year.
Refilling is quite cheap.

Dynodan22
dynodan22 is offline   Reply With Quote