R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Great stuff. I laughed in the face of the guy when he wanted $20 for some hudy hi quality battery strapping tape.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #17
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Battery strapping tape is one place I wouldn't skimp. I wouldn't buy the Hudy stuff either! Get the good stuff (usually imported) and it will last the whole race day. The thin stuff that you buy in the hardware stores tends to get cut on the chassis on impact.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #18
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Most cans of automotive brake clean are much cheaper than electric motor spray too, assuming they're plastic safe. I've got a can of CRC brand "Brakleen" sitting here that works well.
BAD ADVICE WARNING

CRC Brakleen or any other brand of brakecleaner are NOT plastic or electronics safe, says so on the label, as it is comprised of heavyduty solvents and as a result the chemicals in it will slowly eat away the epoxy used to secure the windings in place in the motor and will sooner than later lead to BLOWING UP YOUR MOTOR!
Seen it happen tons of times. This has got to be the oldest self-perpetuating wive's tale in RC.

Here again CRC makes a product called Electromotive, an electronics cleaner that IS the same basic chemical product as any other motor cleaner on the market, that costs about the same as brakecleaner (or about 1/2 of what motor spray costs in hobby shops) and is designed to be safely used with electronics pieces and parts.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
BAD ADVICE WARNING

CRC Brakleen or any other brand of brakecleaner are NOT plastic or electronics safe, says so on the label, as it is comprised of heavyduty solvents and as a result the chemicals in it will slowly eat away the epoxy used to secure the windings in place in the motor and will sooner than later lead to BLOWING UP YOUR MOTOR!
Seen it happen tons of times. This has got to be the oldest self-perpetuating wive's tale in RC.

Here again CRC makes a product called Electromotive, an electronics cleaner that IS the same basic chemical product as any other motor cleaner on the market, that costs about the same as brakecleaner (or about 1/2 of what motor spray costs in hobby shops) and is designed to be safely used with electronics pieces and parts.

X100

Yeah, it doesn't take much common sense to figure out that if a company makes two different products one for electronics and one for something else not to choose the later.

Last edited by RCabcs; 09-24-2008 at 08:04 AM.
RCabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
I bought a pretty nice little aluminum tool briefcase for $25 at Lowes, with the foam inserts and a tool holder on the top. I use the foam case part to keep my radio, charger and power supply in. I've seen Futaba and other metal cases that sell for 2-3 times as much, and only hold a radio. This one has just enough spots for all my hex/nut drivers, pliers, etc...

Did the same thing, but instead of the fancy-smancy alumimum case I bought a couple of similar plastic cases made by Plano, designed for use as pistol cases, at Walmart for $8 each. Stole the idea from a guy I met at the track.

Got one for my transmitters, and another I put my charger, powersupply, and battery packs. They can bang around all they want in the trunk of the car on the way back from the track, and the foam padding keeps everything secure and happy.

Last edited by RCabcs; 09-25-2008 at 08:48 AM.
RCabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have an awesome hardware store that sells anything and everything. They have metric and standard screws in every size. I've redone a couple cars with stainless screws etc.

Prices are reasonable. I dig the store!

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Threadlock! personally like the loctite blue.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
I used to buy all my stainless screws from Mcmaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/
+1

I bought a whole set of stainless screw set from McMaster Carr for my DF-03. Instead of getting 8 screws for $4.95, I got a pack of 100 for $4.95...

Other things I've gotten at various hardware stores instead of hobby shops:

1) Rotary Tool - Dremel set, when they're on sale at hardware stores (like Lowes or Home Depot), they are generally cheaper then prices at hobby shops (since most of these tools are never on sale)

2) Stick-on Velcro - You can generally get these real cheap at Home Depot, I use it for securing bodies, so quality isn't real critical other then the sticky part staying on.

3) Zip-Ties - 200-pack in various colors for $0.99 at the 99 Cent store. You can buy some general stuff that you know you will abuse like wire cutters, pliers, etc...

4) Thread-Lock - Loctite blue at the Autozone. I bought a tube of this two years ago and I'm still on the same tube.

-------------------
Things to not cheap out:

1) 12-AWG stranded wires - The stuff at Radio Shack, Home Depot are utter crap. I have not seen anything that can hold up to Dean's Wet Noodle wires (3000+ strands of copper to make 12-AWG!)

2) Motor Spray - Generally can be bought pretty cheap. My local store always have sales of this stuff cause they over stock them.

3) Wrenches - MIP Thorp is all I use. Beware of el-cheapo L-Wrenches and other wrenches made from overseas. Just because they are hardened doesn't mean that they are made with a tight tolerance...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

CA Glue - Loctite Professional Super Glue from Home Depot is EXACTLY the same as Losi and PL tire glue - even the same bottle.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
BAD ADVICE WARNING

There is also some stuff called electrical contact cleaner, this also works well on cleaning out motors. I think it is made by CRC as well and is even more friendly to electronic bits. But yep stay away from brake solvents.

If you are a greenie you might try Clean-n-dip. A general cleaner that is good for everything from removing paint, to cleaning guns. It also works well for cleaning up motors.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #26
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

This is a great idea, I'll use it just as soon as I get my M11 back from Airtronics because I broke it from NOT having a case!

Cost effective and looks good too!

Quote:
I bought a pretty nice little aluminum tool briefcase for $25 at Lowes, with the foam inserts and a tool holder on the top. I use the foam case part to keep my radio, charger and power supply in. I've seen Futaba and other metal cases that sell for 2-3 times as much, and only hold a radio. This one has just enough spots for all my hex/nut drivers, pliers, etc...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...132&lpage=none

Great idea for a thread, hoping to see it grow!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just a bump for this thread, love to hear more goodies that are 1/10 the hobby shop price.
pullinteef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Went to big lots! and found blue threadlock for 99cents. Looks exactly like the one at home depot and hobbyshops. Red bottle with a blue cap.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #29
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...132&lpage=none

Great idea for a thread, hoping to see it grow!
Nice!

Is that deep enough to fit most transmitters? Which transmitter do you keep in it?
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Airbrush

Airbrush. I bought 2 airbrush kits (2 different nozzle sizes) from a car parts store for 1/2 the price my local hobby shop wanted for their cheepest one.
Terry
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote