Wiki Posts
Search

Track Layout

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Track Layout

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the R/C world after taking a 4-5 year haitus. I purchased a couple of Slash's, a Rustler, and a Stampede for myself and my nephew to play around with. Anyway, to the point, I have some land that I am thinking about putting a track on so I had some guys clear it off with a dozer and now I need some help designing and laying out everything. First of all, what type of dirt do I need to bring in, red clay? Also, does anyone have a layout of a track with the specs such as lane width, jump sizes, etc? I was thinking of using some 4in rubber hose for the sides would that work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Drain Tile

Drain Tile for tubes.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Alot of tracks use clay, not sure which kind, i know clay can work really good with the right kind of treatment/watering. 6-8ft lanes should be ideal. you can use 4" pvc pipe or that black thin plastic drainage pipe. im sure alot of stuff will come up with a search.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tater salad
Alot of tracks use clay, not sure which kind, i know clay can work really good with the right kind of treatment/watering. 6-8ft lanes should be ideal. you can use 4" pvc pipe or that black thin plastic drainage pipe. im sure alot of stuff will come up with a search.
thanks bro, i had 1500 ft. of 4in rubber hose delivered and the dirt is coming monday so I will keep you guys updated with pics.........
Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Suspended

10 foot lanes, don't make it too technical, and make your jumps no taller than you're ready to start stocking boo-coo replacement parts
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

the little washboard jumps, what is a good ballpark estimate of their size, distance apart, etc...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoseyWalesX
the little washboard jumps, what is a good ballpark estimate of their size, distance apart, etc...
A lot depends on whether or not you're going to be running by yourself or with a small group of friends, or if you're planning on having regular races --- all because of turn marshalls. Without marshalls I'd suggest keeping them smallish so you don't have to keep running out and flipping your car back on all four --- and thus somewhere in the range of one to two times the height of the car or truck you're running, you can always add dirt later to make them taller if needed or wanted. Distance apart all depends on run-up distance, the shorter the distance the closer together the jumps and the longer the run-up the wider apart you can place them.
Really what you need to do is start out with a blank slate, in other words layout the track as a flat track with no jumps and then run it to make sure it has good flow from corner to corner and it seems like a fun layout. Then go back and add jumps, a couple at a time, and see again by running it that they're in good spots.
Too often people build tracks, taking a lot of time to do so, only to find out that they just don't work because they're either too technical or that the jumps are in all the wrong places, etc.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks cracka, that was very informative.......i have a 100x150 size area cleared just for the track, will that be big enough, it will just be for personal use, maybe 3-4 cars max at a time.........
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Suspended

EDIT ------- I don't know what to say because I initially responded to this in the electric heading and now I see a duplicate thread in the nitro section. Makes a huge difference on lying things out, land width and track overall size.

But either way dupli-threads ain't cool.

Last edited by cracka; 09-20-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Follow the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) theory of doing things initially - make the layout smaller, keep the design/layout easy to drive and navigate, and keep the jumps smaller. It's easy to go back and add to a design to toughen things up, but it's really hard short of doing a total rebuild to scale things back if it's too hard and technical.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

sorry bro, i wasn't getting any help in one of the forums so i posted in the other one.......thanks for all the advice i am going to try to get started on it sometime this week after the dirt is delivered, will keep you updated on progress.....