R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop
Default o.s. vz-b engine

i bought the new os engine after giving one a test run that a friend has. the engine produces insane power but have found out that the engine has a very short life. i have about 3/4 of a gallon in mine and it has almost no compression and its very loose. i am very disappointed in o.s. for putting this engine on the market.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OS knows that there are some problems with the VZ-B and many people have received new engines as replacements. The problem with the VZ-B is that people are running those engines without installing the extra shim provided. Out of the box the engine comes set to run 20% nitro or lower. the head clearance is only .014 which is a bit too low for 30%. If u add the included shim it raises the head clearance to exactly .018 which is the recommended clearance for 30% or lower. Running out of the box using 30% will cause preignition and predetonation which will shorten engine life.

one question for u. You say the engine is loosong compression based on what. crappy performance or just cause u can turn the flywheel with your fingers? Many engines dont keep that "pinch" that everyone talks about. Take for example the OS RG. After a few tanks it will feel worn out but not the case.

If u are convinced your engine is wasted then contact the OS service dept and send it in. they should hook u up.

If not then try adding the shim if u haven't already.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Master

Default Re: o.s. vz-b engine

Quote:
Originally posted by goop
i bought the new os engine after giving one a test run that a friend has. the engine produces insane power but have found out that the engine has a very short life. i have about 3/4 of a gallon in mine and it has almost no compression and its very loose. i am very disappointed in o.s. for putting this engine on the market.
goop,

i'm running OS VZ-B engine and 3 gallon(25%) has through the engine. and i did not find any problem with the compresion. also there is about 3 of my friend also using VZ-B and their engine still have a good compression.

so i think is the way you break-in the engine that cause your engine loose the compression.
T-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Or you can do what alot of guys are doing and send the piston and sleeve out to get resized ( BY ME ) and you will be good to go for many many gallons. And yes you do need to set the head clearance at or above .018 this has been a problem by O.S.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:17 AM   #5
Tech Regular

For a second I thought u were gonna say to send the piston and sleeve to get resized by OSROCKET. hehe
Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Raydee

I just got a used VZ for pretty cheap but I have noticed that many of our local racers that use this engine complain that it runs pretty hot, how hot does your engines run?
Raydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:30 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

My vz-b has never been over 230 and has a lot of power. I installed the head shim right from the start and have had no problems. By the way, I have had over 3 gallons through mine and it is still running strong.
gquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
Tech Regular

If it is running hot try changing to an OS A5 plug if u are not running it already.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Raydee
I just got a used VZ for pretty cheap but I have noticed that many of our local racers that use this engine complain that it runs pretty hot, how hot does your engines run?
in south east asian country normally we are running it at 140 celcius on the race day
Old 09-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eltorito
If it is running hot try changing to an OS A5 plug if u are not running it already.
if it's really hot use the A8 plug
Old 09-16-2003, 10:22 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I dont know if that was a joke but the os8 is hotter than A5.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #12
HPC
Tech Master

Hi guys,now that my VZ-B is fully run in,I am getting a lot of power from it.And I have had about 2.5 hours of run time on it.I did not add the extra shim as I didn't know about this problem.Do I still need to add it on now?Or is my engine fine?

Please advise.
HPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eltorito
I dont know if that was a joke but the os8 is hotter than A5.
in that case you have the wrong information
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
Tech Regular

hahaha! It is pretty funny when someone who is misinformed thinks he has the answer. You can look up a glow plug chart and let me tell you that the OS8 is hotter than the A5 no matter how u slice it. Think as u will. Dont matter to me if u run the wrong plug cause of the wrong reasons.

Check this out: http://www.hobbies-n-stuff.com/glow_plug2.htm

http://www.holdfastmac.com.au/howglowplug.html

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCB29&P=0

and

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCB27&P=0

Last edited by eltorito; 09-16-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

in my v-zb i run only 20% so i did not add the shim. i do run the os A5 plug. the engine felt loose from the first day before even firing it up. i know the compression is low beacause i used a compression gauge. i talked to os and they gave me the run around about it being a motor that comes with no warranty. everybody said i should have bought the ws7 2 motor but no i had to have an os. i have talked to a lot of pro drivers and they said that they have noticed a lot of people having this problem and that the os motor is junk. os finally said to send it in and they might do something for me.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote