R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-18-2003, 10:30 AM   #31
Tech Adept

T-shirt ... did you install the extra head shim? And what % nitro are you using?
chorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 PM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by chorner
T-shirt ... did you install the extra head shim? And what % nitro are you using?
yes i put an extra shim and i'm running 30%

this is just my suggestion for the WS7II use the long manifold and use the 2006 pipe(3 chamber)
T-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Rb= light switch good for some but many like me can't stand it.

Just give the vzb a little time it will improve. O.S. makes the best carb in the industry and they make very smooth and Linear power.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:47 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

By the way, I asked Greg and he didn't say to replace both the piston and sleeve, only the piston. He said the metal they used for the piston isn't as good as they thought. However the sleeve is better. So, use the vz-b sleeve with the v01b piston, and you will have a much better motor.
gquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Thats what I said ... was that he said to use the V01 piston in the VZ-b.

Apparently 'os rocket' says this work sas well, but to make sure you check your deck height.

To me, this is BS anyways .. shouldn't have to mix and match parts on a new motor. Get it right and I'll buy one
Old 09-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Raydee

THe problem with listening to the PRO'S is that they will run a engine just for a race day or two and then they are shot most of the time. They tune them for max power and most of the time the engines are far from stock. Everyday guys that run stock engine's have very different results. My OS.21RZv01 ran head to head against a Pro's 01 and I got smoked. I asked him what was done to his engine and he said it was stock....NO WAY! I just got my VZ piston and sleeve back from being pinched and after I break it in I will see how well it runs. Like I said before most of the guys at our local track run them and they run pretty hot compared to the 01 but then again it is a bit more "cut up" inside the engine than the 01 also. We have had a bunch of guys complaining that the compression is low with less than gallon of fuel through the engine and most of the guys are running 30% nitro. I have always told guys to shim the head with higher nitro and I have always been told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Shimming heads is a must in Nitro boats running over 45% nitro.
Raydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:08 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Believe it or not most of the reason a "pro" will smoke a regular Joe is becasue of mostly clutch and of course some of it is motor but the big part about it is clutch.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:33 PM   #38
Tech Addict

I would have to agree as I hear many racers talk about tuning the clutch. Here is a question, is there any way to tune a 2 shoe type clutch? I have the one with 2 large shoes and the spring that goes all the way around them?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

YES YOU HAVE TO SHAVE A LITTLE MATERIAL OFF EACH SHOE. THAT GIVES IT A LITTLE MORE STALL
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #40
Tech Adept

lol ohhkaay then!
Old 09-27-2003, 05:28 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Well i just got my engine back together last night and as instructed by the uy that pinched it I ran three tanks heat cycling the piston and sleeve at 210 or avove and then ran the engine on the ground for a few tanks right around 220 and this engine rips. This is by far the fastest OS engine ever produced and I have had them all! Now we will just have to see how long the engine lasts.

On a side note we have sent a few VZ-b's back to Hobby services and they have been replacing worn out p/s sets and rebuilding the engines but they have been charging for the rebuild since they say there is no warranty for these engines. THe average cost has been $30 to rebuild the engines which isn't bad. I would like to see now that people are more aware of the shim issue if the engine last a bit longer? I run 20% nitro and always have in my 21 engines so i left the second shim out. We will see how well this engine holds up. So far I have about 6 tanls of fuel and the piston will still lock up at top dead center.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

os finally got me my engine back and sent me a brand new one at no charge. thank you os
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:52 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Cool

Raydee- If you want to know why you got smoke I will tell you the truth. The OS Team guys motors are hand built for starters. There tolerances are much tighter. I have friends that drive for Kyosho and OS and get special OS Engines handed to them. Your OS will never keep up to there's no matter what you do. Another friend was only 50% spomsored by Kyosho and OS and got absolutly annilated at the worlds. You are not alone in on this one. If anyone can get a 100 athentic Greg Degani V01B you will find it much better than yours. It has more torque as well as more RPM. There motors just plain rip. I just bought a VZ-B and everyone is making me nervous. Good luck to all.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote