R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #46
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
You "know" Cracka... 'cause from what I hear, you guys have the same/similar IP. Hell -- I bet you, he and RocketRob40 are sharing the same pair of shorts right now.
LOL...if this is true, it's pretty funny. Would make sense though, the guy who posted under Rocketrob/ssakcajaru (u r a jackass, very true) had the same bad attitude.

Anyway, the advice I offered was not that the guy HAD to run out and buy a new radio. I believe my wording was something along the lines of "you're going to want to." I don't know anything about the guy's financial status. He was talking about going straight to the factory team kit which was a much higher point of entry than I took, to begin with...so, whatever. The fact that I had a problem only weeks after starting with my RTR, and haven't had an interference issue since, is enough to justify the $190 for me.

Last edited by kdeselms; 09-21-2008 at 07:53 PM.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
LOL...if this is true, it's pretty funny. Would make sense though, the guy who posted under Rocketrob/ssakcajaru (u r a jackass, very true) had the same bad attitude.
Same guy. He has a BUNCH of screen names.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #48
Tech Master

By the way, with regard to the gearing on the 17.5, I ran 78/32 at Hot Rod's with my Novak and the motor was just right on heat...another guy had just bought one of the new Murfdogg 17.5's and ran it with the same gearing with the same results. That gear puts your motor as far back as it'll go, so it's about all you can do and still maintain the slipper clutch. I had no trouble with clearing jumps and getting speed on the straightaway...actually, at the beginning of the night during practice, I got a really good approach at the back triple and VERY nearly cleared it...landed on top of the third hill. If I hadn't put a little bit of weight back in the truck, I might have cleared it!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #49
Tech Elite

That's pretty close to what I'm running...only I have a 71 spur.

Sooo.....how is it running? It is better than it was? Did you get it all set up right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
By the way, with regard to the gearing on the 17.5, I ran 78/32 at Hot Rod's with my Novak and the motor was just right on heat...another guy had just bought one of the new Murfdogg 17.5's and ran it with the same gearing with the same results. That gear puts your motor as far back as it'll go, so it's about all you can do and still maintain the slipper clutch. I had no trouble with clearing jumps and getting speed on the straightaway...actually, at the beginning of the night during practice, I got a really good approach at the back triple and VERY nearly cleared it...landed on top of the third hill. If I hadn't put a little bit of weight back in the truck, I might have cleared it!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With all this talk about gearing... What is all this talk about not having a slipper clutch and what are the advantages to this. I just never got what this is all about.
T4 Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #51
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

In electric racing, gearing is a crucial part of proper set-ups!
Since the power of the motor is a limiting factor; you just cant' simply lean out the bottom end for more low end snap! Nor lean out the top to get more speed!

That being said I also got a T4 this week and ran it the way it came. With a brushed stocker in it and a VINTAGE Novak Explorer sport rtr speedo, and aded my 2.4ghz spektrum radio and Hitec 5985 I had already. It worked incredibly, but I am going to slap in my Novak GTB and Velociti 5.5 brushless mod combo.

What kinda gearing would be good for this combo? Thanks and sorry for going off topic on this one!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
That's pretty close to what I'm running...only I have a 71 spur.

Sooo.....how is it running? It is better than it was? Did you get it all set up right?
Well, for the time I was actually on the track it felt a whole lot better than last weekend! More controllable after increasing the drag brake setting and adjusting my endpoint on the throttle - although the Losi IMFAR Pins had something to do with better control, too. However, I had hardware malfunctions all night that kept taking me out of the race. In practice, someone stopped in front of me and I snapped an a-arm mount on him at the end of the straightaway...a bad omen. In the second qualifier, I got tapped in midair during a jump and came down on my rear right tire, which popped my camber link ballcup and blew the seals on my shock. I popped the ballcup back on and rebuilt the shock, but didn't replace the rod end for the main...got ten laps into it and had too much throttle off a jump (still working on getting a handle on the brushless throttle) and came down on that rear tire again...pop went the weasel, I was out of the race.

So, yeah...pretty unsatisfying night for me, but I learned an important lesson about replacing those rod ends when they pop off in races. I looked at the offending cup at the end of the night and the thing was looking a lot more "oval" than circular. I ordered some replacement RPM rod ends tonight, to put in my toolbox!

By the way, I started the process of trying to get the woman to agree to Wednesday...we'll see how it plays out!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's funny how the one who is telling others that unless they are experts, they shouldn't be giving advice is giving advice although they are not experts themselves...

Attitude and personality is often a strong signature/thumbprint. Just from reading a few posts from cracka led me to believe that it was the same person behind RCabc, rocket_motorsport, and other aliases this person has created.

kdeselms, just do what I did, just block this user and you will no longer have to see his posts that are neither productive or informative... Your recommendation for a 2.4GHz radio system is sound. Am I an expert? I don't know, I'm only an RF Engineer, what do I know about RF systems...

I can argue for a 2.4GHz just from a simple mechanical consideration: antenna length. We are dealing with an electro-mechanical system, RC, be it a car, helicopter, airplane... Having a nice, short antenna is a big plus. I often hated 75MHz antennas at the receiver because they are like 3 feet long! Plus the antenna at the transmitter has to be quite sizable, so they are often telescoped for transport. I don't know how many telescoping antennas I've damaged when I was trying to retract it... The shorter the antenna, less mess IMO. There's also a limit for the pilot/driver to be able to "see" their vehicle in order to pilot it, so the difference in range is definitely not an issue. The 2.4GHz system uses frequency hopping, which is a big plus since you're more likely to be continuosly jammed if the source of jamming is not changing.

Like all radio systems, receivers play a big role of susceptibility from the outside world. You really can't do anything about in-band jamming such as other RC radio system transmitting within your band, but there are a lot of out-of-band jamming that's also present in our wireless-filled world.

In conclusion, the 2.4GHz system is much more sound system in terms of interference then a 75MHz system simply because of the scheme that it uses. If anyone wants to get into more detail, we can do this over PM, I think I've flooded this post with too much techni-babble that digressed from the original title. My apologies, eldivad1...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #54
Suspended

Quote:
You "know" Cracka... 'cause from what I hear, you guys have the same/similar IP. Hell -- I bet you, he and RocketRob40 are sharing the same pair of shorts right now.
joey, joey, joey ... I'm not Cracka and I apologize that what I said got your panties all bunched in a knot, all I was trying to do was stop the petty bickering some of you seem to enjoy, but unfortunately you just proved the point I wasted my efforts.
RCabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCabcs View Post
joey, joey, joey ... I'm not Cracka and I apologize that what I said got your panties all bunched in a knot, all I was trying to do was stop the petty bickering some of you seem to enjoy, but unfortunately you just proved the point I wasted my efforts.
Not in a bunch at all here. Just waiting for you to blow a gasket and get perma-banned. I sorta hope it doesn't happen, but it's almost like it's your destiny. To be honest, I really don't mind you most of the time...I just wish that you would just pick a name and go with it.

If you actually invested some effort into being a part of the community instead of just signing up another name (or ten) every time you go over the edge, people would have more respect for you. You make plenty of good points...but when someone disagrees with you you get very personal and rude.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #56
Tech Master

F'get it...not going to fan any more flames.