R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrg2 View Post
What gearing would cool the motor down?
Actually I think I was running 31t pinion and 180 temp. Running the 30t last night had me at 160.
bprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post

Oh, and regarding your blog --- funny stuff --- there is a huge difference between carbon, carbon fiber, and graphite parts. I suggest you learn what they are and the difference between them so you don't sound so bush league.
Yo don't hate, The man has alot of passion for R/C racing !!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #33
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Yo don't hate, The man has alot of passion for R/C racing !!
I think he started the "hate-in".
and there's a difference between passion and actual knowledge.
if you know what I mean

Last edited by cracka; 09-21-2008 at 12:01 AM.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
OK rook, count how many spread spectrum radio systems are used by a-main competitors at the worlds?
But the discussion is not revolving around someone competing at the worlds, where the racers know when and when to not switch on and there are impounds.

Quote:
None, could it be because the response time is slow?
The latency on a 2.4g system is significantly less(faster) than an AM/FM/PCM system.

Quote:
Could it be because the technology isn't as foolproof as rookies want to say it is?
Anyone who knows how it works knows it isn't foolproof. Lockouts due to re-boots(caused by insufficient voltage) are well-documented but aren't really a defect in the system. And they certainly aren't completely immune to interference. Did anyone make that claim in this thread?

Quote:
Or maybe you haven't noticed that most cordless phones are using the same 2.4ghz technology?
Not relevant. Plenty of testing has been done and 2.4g phones don't interfere with Spektrum systems.

At each and every race day I've attended at several tracks, either a club race or a larger race, fully 95% or more of the radio systems in use are Spektrum systems.

At the 2007 IRCHA Radio-Control helicopter jamboree, there were over 750 registered pilots present. About 50-60 of those were using FM or PCM systems. 2.4g systems were NOT impounded and there were no reports of interference or shoot-down problems throughout the entire event, which lasts 4 days. Seems that the 2.4 stuff works pretty well.

Quote:
Oh, and regarding your blog --- funny stuff --- there is a huge difference between carbon, carbon fiber, and graphite parts. I suggest you learn what they are and the difference between them so you don't sound so bush league.
Ad hominem and doesn't pertain to the issue at hand. You're fishing.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to eldivad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Lower than what he is running for sure. For the track you are going to run at, I would ask around as far as gearing goes to get an idea of what kind of pinions to pick up.

what all did you decide to go with for electronics?
i've ordered the lrp AI brushless esc with the vector 17.5 turn motor.. and hand-me-down receiver, radio, and servo (futaba s3003?) until i can get better ones.. and does a 24t pinion sound good with the 87 tooth spur?
eldivad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
But the discussion is not revolving around someone competing at the worlds, where the racers know when and when to not switch on and there are impounds. .
Will defer to your later "95%" quote downpost.

Quote:
The latency on a 2.4g system is significantly less(faster) than an AM/FM/PCM system. .

Quote:
Anyone who knows how it works knows it isn't foolproof. Lockouts due to re-boots(caused by insufficient voltage) are well-documented but aren't really a defect in the system. And they certainly aren't completely immune to interference. Did anyone make that claim in this thread?

No they never did, but they also didn't mention it either to the newbie looking for sound advice. They just pushed it at them acting like it was something they had to have, and it's not.

Quote:
Not relevant. Plenty of testing has been done and 2.4g phones don't interfere with Spektrum systems. .
2.4ghz is 2.4ghz. plain and simple --- same tech

Quote:
At each and every race day I've attended at several tracks, either a club race or a larger race, fully 95% or more of the radio systems in use are Spektrum systems. .
So let's do some simple math, if 95% of competitors at your event are using SS technology and keeping in mind the number of channels available on AM/FM/PCM what are the chances of running across someone on the exact same frequency.
And with more and more people jumping on the good ship spektrum the chances are even less as time goes by.

Fact of the matter, in the last 24 months of racing at everything from the club level to the national level I've had a frequency conflict a total of one time --- during a practice heat.

Quote:
At the 2007 IRCHA Radio-Control helicopter jamboree, there were over 750 registered pilots present. About 50-60 of those were using FM or PCM systems. 2.4g systems were NOT impounded and there were no reports of interference or shoot-down problems throughout the entire event, which lasts 4 days. Seems that the 2.4 stuff works pretty well..
Um, we're talking about cars --- not your flyboy buddies.

Quote:
Ad hominem and doesn't pertain to the issue at hand. You're fishing.

He was the one trying to sound like the expert. Seems as if one doesn't know the difference between carbon and carbon fiber and graphite parts, they should be giving out advice on complicated electronics.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldivad1 View Post
i've ordered the lrp AI brushless esc with the vector 17.5 turn motor.. and hand-me-down receiver, radio, and servo (futaba s3003?) until i can get better ones.. and does a 24t pinion sound good with the 87 tooth spur?
30 to 33 pinion and 78 spur are what the top brushless t4 drivers are running with lrp 17.5 motors. but dont run it more than 10 min. at a time.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #38
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to eldivad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofRacebucks View Post
30 to 33 pinion and 78 spur are what the top brushless t4 drivers are running with lrp 17.5 motors. but dont run it more than 10 min. at a time.
don't run 33/78 more than 10 minutes or 24/87
eldivad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldivad1 View Post
don't run 33/78 more than 10 minutes or 24/87
you can run 24/87 for as long as you want but you will find that it is way too slow. 33/78 you have to keep an eye on the temp but its okay for the racing at ocrc.(7 min. tops)
Old 09-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

The radio you have will work fine. With so many people running some sort of spektrum system you should rarely if ever have any conflicts.

As for a steering servo a good quality servo will make a huge difference in your ability to drive the car. You should look at the AE XP line of servo's. They've got some that will work well in a T4 truck starting about $60.00.

Gearing for a 17.5 needs to be to the moon. I would recommend starting out with a 78 tooth spur and a 28 tooth pinion but you should ask around and and see what the other T4 guys are running gear wise.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

[QUOTE=cracka;4859522]

Quote:
2.4ghz is 2.4ghz. plain and simple --- same tech
You can repeat that as many times as you'd wish, but until you show proof that there are interference problems, you have no leg to stand on.

Quote:
So let's do some simple math, if 95% of competitors at your event are using SS technology and keeping in mind the number of channels available on AM/FM/PCM what are the chances of running across someone on the exact same frequency.
And with more and more people jumping on the good ship spektrum the chances are even less as time goes by.
I agree that the chance is diminished. However, it's still there.... I personally have seen a few problems at my track with two guys having the same AM frequency and having to scramble to find crystals. Besides why would you want your tx impounded and also have to grab a frequency clip anytime you race?

Your post mentions NOTHING about outside interference not caused by someone else switching on your frequency. 2.4 is also less prone to that type of interference as well.

Quote:
Fact of the matter, in the last 24 months of racing at everything from the club level to the national level I've had a frequency conflict a total of one time --- during a practice heat.
And I've had a problem ZERO times. You just made my point for me.

Quote:
Um, we're talking about cars --- not your flyboy buddies.
How is it any different other than the type of vehicle? It's not.

I'm not saying a non-2.4 system won't work, they work fine. I prefer the Spektrum systems and so do many others, the reasons are obvious.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
OK rook, count how many spread spectrum radio systems are used by a-main competitors at the worlds? None, could it be because the response time is slow? Could it be that any reputable track has a radio impound during races? Could it be because the technology isn't as foolproof as rookies want to say it is? Or maybe you haven't noticed that most cordless phones are using the same 2.4ghz technology?
That enough reason for ya?
LOL

Guess your reading comprehension is a tad impaired. The banner at the top of the blog says ROOKIE and the description is that I am a rookie sharing my experiences as I learn. A guy who's been in the hobby four months should be expected to sound like an expert? I hardly think so.

I saw PLENTY of guys at the nats running spread spectrum...and I wasn't recommending them to a pro, I was recommending them to a novice who wants to race at the club level, where radios aren't impounded and this is a practical concern. And interestingly, you didn't address my question about having your car runaway because someone in the pits is on your frequency, tuning up their car. Maybe you're too tied up in "what the pros do" to acknowledge the club level races and the fact that they aren't run like nats and worlds competitions.

Quote:
He was the one trying to sound like the expert. Seems as if one doesn't know the difference between carbon and carbon fiber and graphite parts, they should be giving out advice on complicated electronics.
So by your measure, anyone offering an opinion or advice is a self-styled expert. I had an experience with radio interference on my RTR radio in my first three weeks of racing, which I related, and I have not had that experience recur since switching to SS technology. Besides, I fail to see how you can draw ANY kind of connection between my knowledge of carbon fiber and my practical experience with a radio at a club race. Your reputation is well earned...I don't even know you and yet you've managed to annoy the hell out of me. Nice work!

Seriously, come out to Hot Rod's some Saturday to introduce yourself and show me how good you are on the track, I'd be more than happy to sing your praises and back up your RAMPANT claims to expertise, here on the boards.

Last edited by kdeselms; 09-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #43
Suspended

you guys are taking this way too serious.
offering a new guy advice under the ideals that they have to run right out and spend a bunch of money on a radio that might cost most than their whole rig does nothing other than potentially chase them out of the hobby.
remeber these guys are new, that some people might know more than you, and give all of us a break by not arguing about everything.
I don't even know any of you guys and yet you've managed to annoy the hell out of me.
RCabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCabcs View Post
I don't even know any of you guys and yet you've managed to annoy the hell out of me.
You "know" Cracka... 'cause from what I hear, you guys have the same/similar IP. Hell -- I bet you, he and RocketRob40 are sharing the same pair of shorts right now.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
Gearing for a 17.5 needs to be to the moon. I would recommend starting out with a 78 tooth spur and a 28 tooth pinion but you should ask around and and see what the other T4 guys are running gear wise.
6.10-6.30:1 FDR should get you in the ballpark.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote