Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novak Smart Tray vs. Higher Amp Dichcharger? >

Novak Smart Tray vs. Higher Amp Dichcharger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Smart Tray vs. Higher Amp Dichcharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Novak Smart Tray vs. Higher Amp Dichcharger?

Which one would be the best to balance out your batteries? Say a 25 amp Integy discharger or a Novak smart tray? I dont want to spend over $40 shipped so I want to get it used. My batteries: slingshot ep4200 "race" matched, 1.217, 2x gp3300 matched by team scream, 1.17, 1 crappy Venom 3600, and a very bad radio shack 2000 nicad that I barely use. Also have a nicad battery for my lathe. SO if I get the Novak Smart tray and I balance packs that arent SXS and are stick packs like Venom? What would give me better performance and longetivity? How long do you discharge them after a run? And how long will it take to discharge at 25 and 2.7 amps? thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well that all depends on which Integy discharger you are talking about...

The Novak Smart trays are equalizing boards to bring each cell down to the same amount.. it is not made for discharging a pack after running.. it will take hours and be very hot.. possible damage it... you need to bring the pack down to around 6v before placing them on the tray.

Integy makes both dischargers to bring the pack down and equalizing trays.. their newest one is very similair to the Nova Smart tray.

You can make a 20amp discharger out of 10 automobile tail light bulbs (GE 1157). Use this to bring the pack down to near 6v and then put them on a tray. You can get about 9-10 minutes on 20amps from a fully charged 4200 pack. This will give them the best life and will also allow you to see how they are doing.

If they take a long time on the bulbs.. or if they cells do not equalize on the tray in about the same time, the cells are not doing well.

You could I suppose go LiPo and not worry about it all.. but then you'd need a new charger most likely.

Jerome
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Well that all depends on which Integy discharger you are talking about...

The Novak Smart trays are equalizing boards to bring each cell down to the same amount.. it is not made for discharging a pack after running.. it will take hours and be very hot.. possible damage it... you need to bring the pack down to around 6v before placing them on the tray.

Integy makes both dischargers to bring the pack down and equalizing trays.. their newest one is very similair to the Nova Smart tray.

You can make a 20amp discharger out of 10 automobile tail light bulbs (GE 1157). Use this to bring the pack down to near 6v and then put them on a tray. You can get about 9-10 minutes on 20amps from a fully charged 4200 pack. This will give them the best life and will also allow you to see how they are doing.

If they take a long time on the bulbs.. or if they cells do not equalize on the tray in about the same time, the cells are not doing well.

You could I suppose go LiPo and not worry about it all.. but then you'd need a new charger most likely.

Jerome
It is an Integy 30 amp discharger that Briguy saod he would sell for $30 shipped. My charger IS lipo capapble. I have the DUratrax Onyx 230. Pretty much a sport charger that I use for racing and I dont like it much. Would discharging a battery at 30 amps then then charging it at .3 amps equalize it to a bit? I bet i have around 40 runs on my ep4200 and gp3300 without any cycling and charging at 4 amps. How much of an increase of power should I see? thanks

I just dont know if I want to spend $130 in lipo, Orion 3800+balancer.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Rather than spending money and trying to bring back some old packs try these two items. I have that charger and it works great. This will get you into lipo for under $100.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=596&id=6297

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=59&id=7081
Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The integy is a discharge only and a balancing tray will be needed. If your charger is Lipo capable spend the money on the Lipo mentioned. It will work well for stock racing. What set up are you using?

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
It is an Integy 30 amp discharger that Briguy saod he would sell for $30 shipped. My charger IS lipo capapble. I have the DUratrax Onyx 230. Pretty much a sport charger that I use for racing and I dont like it much. Would discharging a battery at 30 amps then then charging it at .3 amps equalize it to a bit? I bet i have around 40 runs on my ep4200 and gp3300 without any cycling and charging at 4 amps. How much of an increase of power should I see? thanks

I just dont know if I want to spend $130 in lipo, Orion 3800+balancer.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Lipo

James, does the LiPocket charger need a power source? I see the Dynamite AC/DC charger that does Lipo for $59. Is that any good? What about balancing, don't the external balancers cost another $30? It would be great to go Lipo for under $100.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

A discharger and an equalizer are 2 very different things.

A discharger is meant to take a pack down very quickly to near empty. Typically at a high rate such as 20 or 30amps. This is similar to a stock or mod motor at full power. This conditions the pack to handle the high rates.

An equalizer takes each individual cell down to typically .9volts each so that they are all equally empty. If each cell has a different level of energy left in it, some cells will be full at the end of a charge, some will be slightly empty and some overcharged will be even more empty and possible damaged if this cycle is done over and over.

If you want to take care of NiMh.. you need both a discharger and an equalizer.

Jerome
Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

I have a lipo capable charger, but I will also need a balancer. I have a Onyx 230. The Orion 2400 is waayyy too little capacity. That is like 3100nimh capcity and I doubt that will get me thru a heat. I am going to get a Orion 3800 30C battery.

Jerome, if you had to chose between Novak Smart Tray and a Integy 30 amp discharger which one would you chose? Nothing can be worse than not discharging them at all.

Can you put a battery on the discharger right after a heat or does it have to cool down?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

We usually run 5 minute heats and 6 minute mains at our track.. a 2400 LiPo should be fine.. You will get around 7-8 minutes at full speed with that.. and as you know.... we don't run full speed for the entire race.. just don't take 6 practice laps and you'll be fine!

As for the tray.. I wold be tempted to get the Integy.. I have used their stuff for years.. looks like you need a power source though. I have a Novak Smart Tray at the moment and I like it... no problems..

You could put the battery on the equalizer right after a run.. but it would take hours to finish.. I put it on my discharger and run it down to about 6v.. then put it right on the tray to complete the cycle.

Just make sure you let it cool down before you charge it again.

Jerome
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

We usually run 5 minute heats and 6 minute mains at our track.. a 2400 LiPo should be fine.. You will get around 7-8 minutes at full speed with that.. and as you know.... we don't run full speed for the entire race.. just don't take 6 practice laps and you'll be fine!

As for the tray.. I wold be tempted to get the Integy.. I have used their stuff for years.. looks like you need a power source though. I have a Novak Smart Tray at the moment and I like it... no problems..

You could put the battery on the equalizer right after a run.. but it would take hours to finish.. I put it on my discharger and run it down to about 6v.. then put it right on the tray to complete the cycle.

Just make sure you let it cool down before you charge it again.

Jerome
I think I would rather go with a battery like the Orion 3800 30C which has more power and last alot longer. So you need a 12v DC power source for the Integy one? What I want to do is get something now that will get me the best power possible into my batteries in the quickest time as I will get either the discharger or Smart tray when i get more money. The 2400 is temping though......
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

What about this, https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...1&showbig=6809 ?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

That seems like a good discharger for the money.. but again.. an equalizer is not the same thing.. you really need both if you want to maintain your NiMh batteries.

Jerome
Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I guess Chris didn`t believe me when i told him he needs both the other day .

Chris , equalizer trays like the smart Tray or Integy INDI Digital-03 Balance tray need a 12V power source . The reactor dischargers do not .

Like I told you I`d just go lipo and sell your nimh packs . Once you go lipo you will never go back .
Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Switch to lipo your wasting your money buying nimh crap, You'll wanna sell it down the line and it wont be worth diddly.

get a 3800 lipo at $100.00

You don't need a balancer right away. I have been running orion lipo's for almost a year and i don't own a balancer.... it cannot be.... lol they barely go out of balance.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

That seems like a good discharger for the money.. but again.. an equalizer is not the same thing.. you really need both if you want to maintain your NiMh batteries.

Jerome
Nothing can be worse then charge, run, charge run, etc. I let it cool off 2 hours though.

Originally Posted by Briguy
I guess Chris didn`t believe me when i told him he needs both the other day .

Chris , equalizer trays like the smart Tray or Integy INDI Digital-03 Balance tray need a 12V power source . The reactor dischargers do not .

Like I told you I`d just go lipo and sell your nimh packs . Once you go lipo you will never go back .
A guy had a smart tray put it in an AC outlet and it worked fine. I dont think I can get more than $40 for 2 gp3300's that only have 1.15v per cell, and a ep4200 that was used 5 times a day once but has 1.217v per cell.

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Switch to lipo your wasting your money buying nimh crap, You'll wanna sell it down the line and it wont be worth diddly.

get a 3800 lipo at $100.00

You don't need a balancer right away. I have been running orion lipo's for almost a year and i don't own a balancer.... it cannot be.... lol they barely go out of balance.
That was I was thinking about you dont need a bancer right away. Problem is is that I owe $150 and I have an order of $120 on losipartshouse and probably 50 to get the 20 off 50 coupon from tower.

Selling a few things for friends that is getting me money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.