Best NiMH packs?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

As for racing or bashing; I'll be more on the racing side, since I'll be running exclusively on a track, but I haven't driven R/C for a while, so I will be practicing for the most part.

The promatch web site has matched and unmatched available... is it worth getting matched cells if I'm going to get them assembled as a stick pack? I read that side-by-side allows equal discharging, but if it's in a stick pack, that won't be possible... so I'm not sure if it's worth going with the matched cells.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've never seen matched cells make a big difference. I have used both matched and unmatched and haven't noticed much of a difference. If you gowith stick packs you won't be able to use a Novak Smart Tray or a similar matcher/discharger though.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr....just go with lipo and forget all that nonsense. Speedtech is having a sale on Reedy, Robitronic, and Core-RC lipos...
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Not ready to go LiPo yet, stitch.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gfx
Not ready to go LiPo yet, stitch.
Haha that's okay. I was in your shoes not too long ago, "returning to the hobby..." I did buy a nimh or two and am kinda regretting it as I have to keep an eye on them, cycling them, feeding, walking them, etc..

Got a couple lipos and haven't looked back. No fuss no muss, just make sure to get a lipo charger and not run it all the way down and use it as much as you want! We can take this to PM if you like...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

^^ I'm an old school basher recently back from the RC dead too, and was thinking of going to Lipo. BUT, and it's a big BUT, As Lipo's are getting more popular, NiMh packs are getting sooooo cheap.
For guys like me that don't need massive packs with high current drain, it's like heaven! You can now get good technology, relatively high storage packs cheap as. Just run them till they die, stuff balancing etc, and throw them away (responsibly of course.....ahhhem) after a year!
Woo Hoo
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gfx
As for racing or bashing; I'll be more on the racing side, since I'll be running exclusively on a track, but I haven't driven R/C for a while, so I will be practicing for the most part.

The promatch web site has matched and unmatched available... is it worth getting matched cells if I'm going to get them assembled as a stick pack? I read that side-by-side allows equal discharging, but if it's in a stick pack, that won't be possible... so I'm not sure if it's worth going with the matched cells.
Ok.... i am gonna change your quote for Nimh Vs. Lipo's

Nimh~

"I'll be more on the racing side, since I'll be running exclusively on a track, but I haven't driven R/C for a while, so I will be Charging, Discharging and Cycling for the most part and my voltage will be less consistant while i am practing.

Lipo~

"I'll be more on the racing side, since I'll be running exclusively on a track, but I haven't driven R/C for a while, so I will be practicing with consistant voltage for the most part with 2 batterys.

Link http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

Trust me man, I got back in to this about last summer and bought everything brushed and nimh... I mean lathes, esc's etc. I bought big x2. Don't to it to yourself brother. Especially if you know your gonna be into it.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Trust me man, I got back in to this about last summer and bought everything brushed and nimh... I mean lathes, esc's etc. I bought big x2. Don't to it to yourself brother. Especially if you know your gonna be into it.
Well, I'll be running NiMH on a Novak HV/BL setup, so I'm basically going to do what JR007 said above. I figure the NiMH packs will last me for a decent amount of time, until I'm ready to go LiPo and purchase a new LiPo charger.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR007
^^ I'm an old school basher recently back from the RC dead too, and was thinking of going to Lipo. BUT, and it's a big BUT, As Lipo's are getting more popular, NiMh packs are getting sooooo cheap.
For guys like me that don't need massive packs with high current drain, it's like heaven! You can now get good technology, relatively high storage packs cheap as. Just run them till they die, stuff balancing etc, and throw them away (responsibly of course.....ahhhem) after a year!
Woo Hoo
I guess that's the deal with this thread --- the original guy asked about "The Best" and you're suggesting the low-buck option. Not that there's anything wrong with going the low-dollar route, especially if you're just bashing, but there's always been cheap packs available --- and good NiMH packs haven't dropped in price that I've seen since the jump in LiPO's popularity, matched packs still cost what they cost. Even the cheaper "high storage" (capacity) NiMH packs are still selling for the same price as they were last year.
I guess if you don't mind buying new packs each year, as you suggest, that's just fine. But it seems that most people don't.
I always prefer to go the "buy well and buy once and you'll be happier in the long run" route.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Since this tread has already started I'll ask here instead of starting a different one.

I've found a good price on Venom 8.4v 7 cell sport packs.

Any input as to their quality- this is just for bashing with Slashs.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Since this tread has already started I'll ask here instead of starting a different one.

I've found a good price on Venom 8.4v 7 cell sport packs.

Any input as to their quality- this is just for bashing with Slashs.

If the price is right thats a good option for just bashing around. Our spec pack for slash at lir is the orion rocketpack 7 cell.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
BM1
Tech Initiate

Would this be a good choice for a Traxxas E-MAXX?

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-1527-7T
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BM1

At that price you should get some lipo batterys. You will get more run time and the power won't drop off with the voltage.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BM1

What I found shopping is that Venom is the last place to buy their stuff from.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...VEN15487T!1046

Same battery $30 cheaper
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM
BM1
Tech Initiate

My real question was more about whether or not that particular Venom pack is good quality or not. I wouldn't purchase it from that site, so ignore the cost.

So... Are those Venom 7-cell Venom 5000mAh packs are pretty good?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.