R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default yet another returning to 2wd thread

hi all,

Done the search button thing but didn't seem to find any good hits. Anyway, been away from the buggy scene for a while (8+ years) and would like to get back into it. What would you guys recommend? I would go Schumacher in a heartbeat if they have one just now but they don't

Also would like to try bl motors + lipo this time round. What "turns" do people run with their 2wd buggies? TIA
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-nil View Post
hi all,

Done the search button thing but didn't seem to find any good hits. Anyway, been away from the buggy scene for a while (8+ years) and would like to get back into it. What would you guys recommend? I would go Schumacher in a heartbeat if they have one just now but they don't

Also would like to try bl motors + lipo this time round. What "turns" do people run with their 2wd buggies? TIA
Losi xxx-cr or AE B4

13.5 , 10.5 or 8.5 Imo for 2wd .
HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-nil View Post
hi all,

long time since schumacher made a good 2wd, maybe the cougar 2.

as well as the xxx, b4 there is the kyosho rb5, plus the hot bodies d2, and the x factory X6.

for motors try 7.5, 8.5 for mod.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

All buggies mentioned are good bugs and I`d check with the track hobby shop to see which parts they mainly carry for . Sucks breaking and they don`t stock that part . As for brushless I have a Novak system and LRP system . I`m liking the Novak better . But there are other good brands as well , just make sure you get a sensored brushless system . In my XXX-CR and B4 I run a 7.5 and some run 6.5 . 8.5 and up would be good for small tracks . For lipos I really like Orion`s packs and pretty cheap from Stormer Hobbies . I have a Maxamps pack coming so see how they are .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

One-Nil- When it comes to buggies it is best to see what the local shop you will be racing at carries parts for.
Probally the Assoc B4,Losi XXXcr and maybe the Kyosho RB5.
All these are quality buggies.
Being you were a Schumacher Fan and may like to go against the NORM sometimes then the HotBodies and Xfactory cars are great but not supported as much is all.
When it comes to brushless Im guessing you will start off in Stock Class unless you just like to torture yourself. lol.
Find out if their stock class is a TRUE stock class with 17.5's or a Superstock class with 13.5's.
It's always best to visit the local track and find out what cars people run due to support and check to see the classes,and tires people run.
Grab up a nice buggy and the required equipment and it's off to the races.
Lipo's=Hard cased lipo's is whats needed. Plenty of them out there. I prefer the Tekin and SMC one's.
Brushless systems- I have had them all and the Tekin wins HANDS DOWN!
Small in size,No fan needed and it works flawlessly. Tekin RS is more than enough for offroad. They have some nice motor's as well.

Glad your back to the electric offroad side and while talking to the guys at the local hobbyshop I hope you have a blast.

Les
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The hot bodies is not out yet (supposedly next month). Academy also makes a good 2wd buggy.

I agree with the person who said run the the tracks hobby shop carries. Usually AE, Losi and Kyosho.

Lipo is the way to go, track will probably require ROAR approved hard case.

As for ESC with brushless, any of the big names are great. Size of the ESC in 2wd off road is not that important and there is usually plenty of room in the chassis. Have fun
Trinity .21
Airtronics
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

as far as schumacher supposedly they are working on a new 2wd buggy, and far as their last good 2wd buggies...i'd say either firebade evo or cougar 2000...the 2000 is as long as the xxx line of cars, the fireblade evo is shorter
thefnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Tech Champion

I used to race Schumacher cats back in the day and can`t wait til the new one hits the shelves . Also heard they have a new 2wd coming soon .
Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

me too..wish they'd come out with a stadium truck again...i still have my storm 2000
thefnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Associated makes good stuff and their B4 buggy is decent.

Mamba Max or Sidewinder from Castle Creations are probably the best bang for buck brushless systems out there.

I'd go with either 4600kV or 5700kV system for a 1/10 2wd. If you go with 4600kV you'll want to gear up a little higher, if you go with 5700kV you'll gear a little lower. Speed will be the same, and you can control it with your gearing ratio. I have a MM5700 and I'm using 17/84 to get about 35mph. I could probably go up a little to 40mph, but as you can see a 17 tooth pinion is pretty low.

You will want a 2s Lipo for your 1/10 scale 2wd buggy needs. Capacity around 3500-5000 would be best. There is some choice in top end 5000~ mAh 2s hardcased Lipos, such as the TrakPower 4900 gold brick, some Team Orion ones and Enerland Racing 5000RXQ is an awesome pack. I'm using the latter and it's more than I could ever want or need in terms of power/efficiency/temps and price (was $105 for me), but most other guys use one of the first two since they've been around longer.

As far as chargers go, after months of research I went with iCharger 106B and I'm loving it. It's a 180W balancer-integrated DC charger/discharger and handles all battery chemistries, up to 6S Lipo. Tons of features and power, and it works great. They've stopped selling it now because an upgraded version with integrated USB port for updating firmware and Logging, called the iCharger 106B+ is coming sometime soon. You can find its sorta official thread here. But you'll find most guys are using all kinds of other chargers here, so you'll get different advice. Many different chargers are good, so just pick one with favourable reviews.

That's all I know, hope that helps! Good luck.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Shurcool , Castle creations brushless systems are not sensored and many tracks will not allow them .
Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Shurcool , Castle creations brushless systems are not sensored and many tracks will not allow them .
That's a good point. It's only an issue to do with track rules and stuff, nothing to do with performance. Mamba has more than enough, and great ways to tune it/tone it down. Not to mention at a great price.

Luckily for me, my nearby tracks use the "run what you brung" policy for open off-road classes.

Be sure to check with your tracks' requirements before buying anything.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Tech Champion

That is a Roar rule and just depends if your track goes by Roar rules for club race or not . but I did hear the Mamba Max Pro that is coming will be sensored .
Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I run a Losi XXX-CR with a mamba max 5700 and orion 4800 lipo. I really like the castle line and now that im looking to get my son a BL set up for his truck (XXX-T MF1) it will also be a castle product.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
Tech Adept

wow, thanks everyone. So much to catch up on especially BL and lipo batteries. Glad to hear Schumacher is working on a new 2wd. Used to own a Topcat and a Fireblade! Will pop down the to the local shop and see what's supported. All these choices of what to buy, life will be tough while deciding .

What's the expected run time now a days? Used to run 5 min races but get around 8-10 min for bashing. Thanks again!
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote