R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52
Default XXX or AE T4

Hey guys

I'm currently looking at buying an electric 1/10th scale truck, and I have narrowed down my choices down to either the Losi XXX or the AE T4. What are peoples experiences with these two cars and what is better,

Cheers
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Good Job , you have narrowed it down to the two best race quality stadium trucks . It all comes down to personal preference , I`m a Losi fan and got a B4 in a trade and like it better then my XXX-cr on certain parts of the track and still undecided which one I`m going to stick to . I do not like the T-4 and run Losi for truck . Check out what your hobby shop and the shop at the track mainly carry parts for . My track there is 95% AE guys and sometimes it`s hard to get Losi parts at the track`s shop.
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its totally preference. I personally wouldnt run an Associated for anything in this world....they are both good trucks and cars....Its basically like Ford and Chevy.

I got started with an Associated but most of the guys at my local track were Losi guys so I switched after a month and never looked back. Now I am dedicated to Losi. I have bought boxes and boxes of parts off of Egay so I can run their cars for years without having to worry about parts supply.

If I could give you some advice....if you are a noobie then get the car / truck that most of the guys that can help you work and tune on it have....that way you have access to help with the car.
LosiRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go with what the fast guys use and what your local hobby shop supports.

I'm personally an associated fan, and most people at my tracks race associated.

Cya,
Paul
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Here's my experience: we (myself and 2 kids) run both, and I've always preferred the AE stealth tranny over Losi's. With the covered bearings it seems to last forever with minimal maintenance. For that reason alone I'd recommend the T4 if you're new to the hobby. You'll have enough other details to focus on without a chirping diff.

Losi shocks always piss me off though they're technically easier to bleed and seem to keep fluid in longer.

Setup-wise I'm more familiar with the XXXT and can predictably change handling characteristics where I still struggle with the AE chassis. Having to add weight to a car to make it corner better is counter-intuitive to me.

Both handle fairly well out of the box. One son prefers the T4, it jumps effortlessly, the other likes the Losi, it corners awesome. They both do well. If your track has a lot of jumps, T4. Lots of tight corners, XXXT. I go back and forth in buggy with both brands, but my B4 seems to break fewer parts and I love the silent tranny.

If you just want to bash with it, buy whatever your friends run so you can share parts.

my 2 cents
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Kinda the opposite at two tracks i go to . All the B4/T4 are noisy and Losis are quite .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

flip a coin and let it rip. I'm running the Losi XXXT-CR and I'm happy with it. At my local track the sportsman guys are all running AE whereas Losi is more prevalent in the amatuer classes.

The idea of getting whatever has more fast drivers is good. You can get plenty of advise; however, everybody has different opinions about what works and in the end you will ultimately do a lot of your own testing.

There is an article on the web that goes into detail about the science of the suspension - I recommend finding and learning it. It has helped me a bunch.

Most importantly though is to have fun. Enjoy racing, talking smack with your competition (assuming they don't get offended) and pushing each other. Whatever car you get will probably be tons of fun.
bprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Compare the price of replacement parts and availability and go from there.
dirtdustingdavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If you are looking at rtrs, losi replaced the rtr xxxt with the speed t, which is more for speed vs racing. Then I would go with the t4 rtr.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I am an Associated fan but I like the associated diffs much better than the losi diffs. I had a XXX4G+ and I blew up the diffs all the time. I have been running the stock diff in my B4 with a stock motor and the diff has lasted over a year now and it is still smooth.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Let me point out something that surprisingly is never mentioned in these Losi VS Associated debates....

Look at any NON Losi or Associated professional drivers. I'm referring to Tamiya, Hot Bodies, Kyosho, Yokamo, whoever.... and when they don't have a platform for a particular class, what do they run? Almost ALWAYS Associated. For instance, look at Hot Bodies... Jesse Robbers and Travis Amezcua can run either losi or Associated trucks since there is no HB truck... and they each run T4s when they enter a truck class. Look at Masami, he ran mod truck at Cactus and wheeled a T4. How often do you see non-losi drivers running losi cars in the a main at a big event?

Most importantly, see what's fast at your track, cause that's where you'll get the best setup advice. But from my experience, any AE setup off of RC10.com will work at almost every track.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
Let me point out something that surprisingly is never mentioned in these Losi VS Associated debates....
Interesting!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Interesting!!
It is. i know what he is talking about.
I rock a T4 B4 and a Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 SP. Personally if you don't mind waiting alittle and spending alittle more i would say get the kyosho rt5 when it comes out. Kyosho's are very forgiving when you drive them from my experience.

The boys in my parts are nasty with their losi's (J.Schlick,JS Schlick,Vin Nocella, Mazzara) . But there also a few guys nasty with assoc.'s WC Tommy Mertz and that dude Mike Gay. Then there is another........ armed with a kyosho and a dream Bobby "Tha' K-boi" Betts !!!!!

Last edited by Jason Pelletier; 09-23-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
Tech Adept

hahaha ur too funny 1-9'er