Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess i started a good thread.
T4 Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think this topic appears about every other month.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

They definitely need a new 4wd buggy, I won't buy it though because of how much of a POS my last 2 Losi's were. I am plenty happy with my B4 and will not be making a change any time soon.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like I said before, Losi has done a pretty good job marketing themselves with Horizon and RTR lines. The only real problem is aftermarket support has gone away. With only a single distributor carrying them, most aftermarket companies don't even bother. Still, they seem be in the top 3 of r/c race companies.

A lot of you probably don't remember when Traxxas made race cars. They were top of the line and pretty competitive. The problem was that just about every year they came up with a new version and very few if any parts were compatible. The hobby shops and tracks hated this.. and it made it difficult to support them. Traxxas then changed their whole marketing strategy and became the RTR company they are today. Losi is doing pretty good at both!

Companies like Kyosho are making good products these days.. but if they don't get their parts support in line with demand.. they will go away too.. a lot of folks in our So. Cal area run the electric RB-5 and various ZX-5 buggies.. but when they break.. we don't see them for a while because parts are very hard to come by.

It still comes down to the driver these days.. so many cars around that are all top-of-the-line and competitive..... if you don't like a brand.. don't buy it!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cracka....run a google for RC tracks in Florida....its staggering....they are on every corner.....I will say this, most of them run Nitro and Electric and the Nitro is bigger but electric almost died out completely about what 4-6 years ago and now it is coming back with a vengeance is all I am saying. We obviously all have an opinion on what has happened to Losi and the direction they are going. My opinion is that they need to make some new cars and thats all it is, an opinion. I will drive my Losi cars and have fun no matter what but I would love to see a new 4wd, 2wd buggy and truck.
LosiRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiRox View Post
Cracka....run a google for RC tracks in Florida....its staggering....they are on every corner.....I will say this, most of them run Nitro and Electric and the Nitro is bigger but electric almost died out completely about what 4-6 years ago and now it is coming back with a vengeance is all I am saying. We obviously all have an opinion on what has happened to Losi and the direction they are going. My opinion is that they need to make some new cars and thats all it is, an opinion. I will drive my Losi cars and have fun no matter what but I would love to see a new 4wd, 2wd buggy and truck.
I live there part of the year, no googling neccessary.
All I'm saying is that it's really hard to blame a manufacturer for product decisions, when it's the buying public the drives the market --- and with the majority of the sales being made to bashers buying RTRs, the racers begging for new platforms is a little beyond what should be expected.
These kind of discussions come up from time to time, and it was a few years ago I saw one of people complaing about when was Losi and Associated going to come out with a nitro buggy and truggy.
Well they finally did, but that cost a lot of money and took up the R&D budget for the next millenium.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #37
Tech Addict

is losi making a new 1/8 buggy anyone know??
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #38
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder23 View Post
is losi making a new 1/8 buggy anyone know??
Yes , not really a totally new one just an upgraded one .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

since you guys were talking about age earlier, it really doesnt matter, you can only do so much to a car to make it better. really when you think about cars being obsolete it's starting to get complicated. i mean obviously the xx-4 has been around for quite while now (12 years) and is still in good competition. i dont know, just a thought, and i do believe they are upgrading the Losi Eight
Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippinesboy View Post
since you guys were talking about age earlier, it really doesnt matter, you can only do so much to a car to make it better. really when you think about cars being obsolete it's starting to get complicated. i mean obviously the xx-4 has been around for quite while now (12 years) and is still in good competition. i dont know, just a thought, and i do believe they are upgrading the Losi Eight
Tha was old news. It's called the 8ight 2.0.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think that companys like Traxxis and now Losi is saving rc! The rtr is a great way to get NEW people into rc with out spending a boat load of money and having to do lots of research, then if they like it and see the serious guys at the track racing say 1/10th mod buggy and having fun they are going to want to do the same. I think one of the biggest and best things I have seen is the Slash!! I don't know about everyone elses local tracks but we have a class close to 30 slashes every week!!
trickedyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sadly.. hardcore racing is pretty small.. most of you guys weren't around 15 years ago. The hobby is a fraction of what it was.....

Be glad we have what we do!

As for the Losi 1/10th scale lineup... well it's still top of the line. To have all new designs just "because" costs us money and tens of thousands for the companies. A plastic injection mold for a part can cost many thousands of dollars for a part that sells for $5.

Its just economics.

Race and have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote