Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UNGLUING TIRES, ANYONE KNOW HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default UNGLUING TIRES, ANYONE KNOW HOW?

Is there a way to unglue tires from the rims w/out messing the tire or rim up? Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always soaked them in acetone for a few hours.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

With rims like Associated, Proline, Losi etc, acetone works. Put some acetone in a large jar, put the wheel in (out of the solution if you can), and the vapours will eat the glue up, but leave everything else sweet.

Tamiya rims and the like get munched by Acetone, so you need to use boiling water. Leave them in too long, and sometimes it can distort your rim.

Have fun.

Take it easy with the actone, it's pretty nasty stuff (although it is the mainingredient of nail polish remover).
Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Can I use nail polish remover or does it have to be straight Acetone? What's a good way to not have to put the tire actually in the Acetone? Don't want to mess the foams up. Is there away to put the tire so it is just over the Acetone? Should the container or whatever I use be covered or not when the tire is in it? What type of container is best to use? And thanks for the fast responses.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rgrg2
Is there a way to unglue tires from the rims w/out messing the tire or rim up? Thanks
I haved used the acetone method and boiling water method. Liked boiling better.
Acetone; VERY Flammable, very stinky. Use outside if possible and keep container closed as much as possible. Depending on the amount of glue some of the used tires I bought took an overnight soaking.

Boiling water; 10 to 15 minutes. little or no smell. I will not use the pot for food again.

Tires and wheels were fine after both methods. Brother in-law saved his foams after boiling and said they were fine.

Last edited by B-FAST R/C; 09-13-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Brother in-law saved his foams after boiling and said they were fine
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 70 (99%+)

+1 on the acetone works awsome. I did like 7 sets at one time took 6 hours but peeled off like butter
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

You can also do the bake method. Just heat the oven to 325, put tires on a piece of aluminum foil and bake for about 15 minutes (I usually do it for 20). Take tires out (carefully, will be hot), let cool for a few minutes and then I just press on the bead of the tire at the rim, peels right off. I can reuse the rims, tires, foams. NOTE: it will smell up the kitchen a little so I do it late at night when everybody else is asleep. If the tires are no good I will then cut most of the tire off, pull out the foams and then bake, it will be less smelly. I have been doing this for years.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Here is an older thread on the same subject.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...lue-tires.html
Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've just done a couple pairs with acetone and I think it isn't worth it! What do rims cost $5?

Chemicals, storage, clean up, cancer, sky falling who needs it!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, all you guys are awesome for the info and taking the time to reply. Don't know which idea i'll use yet, the tires, foams, and rims are new so I need to choose the method that will save all of them.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you submerge the tires in acetone the foams will be shot.

I believe it ruins them just with vapors, but not for sure.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

usually you use this method because the rim is messed up (spun the drive pin in the wheel) and the tires are still good.
If you want to save the foam, you get a 5 gallon bucket, put a 3 inch high grate in the bottom, with holes, put an inch of acetone in the bucket, and set the wheels and tires in the bucket so they do not immerse in acetone, acetone will mess up the foams.baking works, but stinks up the house, but the rims are not as clean as after the acetone fumes. Boiling, never done this method, but heard it works well.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From the "best way to unglue tire link" above: From User Allumina

Personally I employ Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick my tires off the rims, works everytime.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

closeable container (do not use in future for food handling/storage). fab up some holders to hold the tire up out of a 1inch deep pool of acetone. cover and let sit overnite, extend time if some parts still stick. you do not have to soak you stuff thus risking some type of wheels/rubber/ or even foams. the fumes, not the base, eat the CA. handle with care. good luck

boiling, hard and time consuming (considerin you must attend to them where as acetone u leave and do somethin else), doesnt always work. does destroy many time of wheels.

baking, again time consuming, stinks up house, could piss ur mom or significant other off, doesnt always work. both of these methods u have to balance burning yourself vs gettin the tires off while still hot.

ur answer:ACETONE and a good nite sleep.

R
Old 09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Like said above^^ I bake my tires off I was doing it that way in the early 90's. If the tire is shot cut the foam out, you can re-use or just help keep the smell down. I re-use the foam for the fronts on my B44 or B4 A tip when baking have the face up on your rims it wont dis-colour as much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.