R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I take a heat gun with a small nozzle on it and heat around the bead and tire comes off as you pull it. Works just like baking method.
jjdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
I take a heat gun with a small nozzle on it and heat around the bead and tire comes off as you pull it. Works just like baking method.
I've been using acetone for years but that's the best idea I've heard. I'm definitely going to try it (with gloves on, of course).
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've used acetone for many years to save rims.. most foams if not already messed up before soaking do ok. They balloon up at first.. make sure you squeeze all the acetone out and let them air dry outside. They will shrink back to normal size and will actually be a little firmer than they were originally.

Mostly I use this method for the rims only.. I cut the tires off leaving just a band around the rim beads... soak them for a few days in a sealed paint can of acetone and the bands just pull right off...

Be careful though, acetone is very flammable! Actually it can "Flash" from many many feet away if a flame source is present. So know what you are doing first!

Our hobby is very expensive.. so ya wheels may only cost $5-$8.. but if you race a lot it does add up. I usually can get 3-4 times of use from a rim before it is ugly or to used to save... so that is $15-$32.. that's a set of tires or two!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
I've used acetone for many years to save rims.. most foams if not already messed up before soaking do ok. They balloon up at first.. make sure you squeeze all the acetone out and let them air dry outside. They will shrink back to normal size and will actually be a little firmer than they were originally.
I have found exactly the same thing regarding the foams with one exception: The Trinity Blue Extra Firm liners do not end up as hard/stiff after they dry out.

On occasions you get new tires with liners that have been crumpled inside the tire and don't go back to completely round once you take them out. If I don't want to wait a few days for them to recover, I dip in acetone and squeeze them out. Once they dry, they are perfectly round. Note: Squeeze the acetone out, do not "wring" (as in twist) - the foams are very fragile when wet with acetone.

I use the orange "stripping" gloves I get at Home Depot to protect my hands when squeezing out the liners.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Suspended

I've tried ALL the above listed methods, and IMO not a single one of them works as perfectly or as easily as their advocates suggest. They've all got issues.

So personally, unless it's a matter of a broken rim and a brand new set of tires I find it easier to just buy a new set --- salavaging used anything is hardly worth the time or the effort.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
I've tried ALL the above listed methods, and IMO not a single one of them works as perfectly or as easily as their advocates suggest. They've all got issues.

So personally, unless it's a matter of a broken rim and a brand new set of tires I find it easier to just buy a new set --- salavaging used anything is hardly worth the time or the effort.
Ship me your throwaways then
jjdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Go to Home Depot, get a new empty paint can, a gallon of acetone, fill the can halfway, dunk your tire/wheel combo, squeeze em so they fill up and let em sink.
Take em out tomorrow, squeeze em into the can and carefully slide em apart.
Gentle on the foams, let em dry out and EVERYTHING is still good.
Done deal.
If that's too hard, keep spendin your money and don't complain about the hi cost of RC.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hands Down easiest way guys!!! I've tried it all.

BAKE THEM OFF! DON'T use 325* though, of course that will stink up your oven and entire kitchen. You may even damage the tires and not be able to use them any more.

I used this method less than 24 hours ago and it worked flawlessly for 4 tires and rims, and I ended up gluing 2 of the tires on 2 different rims immediately afterwards.

200-225* in the oven, put the tires in the middle rack. Leave the oven door cracked open just a tad, so you can reach in/out. Simply leave the tires there for a few minutes, and once they get warm pick one up and just play with the beads a little bit, try to work them loose. Put that tire down and move onto the next tire. Do them about 30 seconds at a time. That'll give them enough time to heat up, and at the same time they're cool enough to not burn your hands while you work the beads loose.

After a few tries with each tire it should peel right off, no problems, no residue, no stink, no burns, no ruined foams, no money spent buying acetone or CA glue remover, no muddy watery mess, none of that crap. It only takes a few minutes, fast, easy, no mess. Works the best. If for some reason you try it this way and it's not working quite as well as I described...maybe try increasing the heat a tad, or leave the tires in the oven for a slightly longer interval than roughly 30 seconds.
revo_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #24

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

people who bake are just folks who havent tried acetone or done it right. c'mon guys why man an oven, especially for toy car parts. UR A MAN!!!!

go put em in a container w/acetone at the bottom and go watch the game 2nite and have a few drinks. wake up 2mrw and they'll be done. no mess, no manning the oven or burning urself, and save most all of the pieces (tires, wheels, and foams).

btw, U DONT HAVE TO DUNK THEM IN THE ACETONE!!! just lift them off the surface and let the fumes eat the ca. thats what breaks it down. not b'g dunked in the liquid.

cheers

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #25
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
btw, U DONT HAVE TO DUNK THEM IN THE ACETONE!!! just lift them off the surface and let the fumes eat the ca. thats what breaks it down. not b'g dunked in the liquid.
btw, acetone dissolves CA
Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnRwRaora0
www.michianarc.com
www.steelmx.com(Sponsor)
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkey View Post
Don't forget to sanitize your pots and pans and air out your oven for a few days before you decide to go eat in that kitchen again.
And ask your wife if she wants to use her gloves again.
A can of acetone in the garage might just be too much trouble?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post

We do it because we want worn out pins with fresh foams inside. At our track we run Pink Tapers and you need about 3 or 4 different pin heights for the changing conditions. More dust=more pin, when it is wet and tacky we almost run slicks or very worn pins. When you stuff new foams in the worn out tires they are DIALED! Blown out foams=no traction.
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
We do it because we want worn out pins with fresh foams inside. At our track we run Pink Tapers and you need about 3 or 4 different pin heights for the changing conditions. More dust=more pin, when it is wet and tacky we almost run slicks or very worn pins. When you stuff new foams in the worn out tires they are DIALED! Blown out foams=no traction.
There are other choices other than just taper pins.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
Nope...he's right. At our local track pink tapers are pretty much it. If it gets really dry Pink Bar Codes work well. But having tapers at different stages of wear is perfect 90% of the time.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote