Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max or Sidewinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max or Sidewinder?

I've been into R/C for a few years now but I've only ever had Nitros. I recently got my hands on an HPI E-Firestorm rolling chassis and I was wondering which Castle Creations system to go w/ for it. I'm looking to go w/ the 5700 motors. From what I've read the Mamba Max system is insanely fast. The sidewinder also gets rave reviews and is alot cheaper. I'm looking to run on a pretty tight curvy track and i thought the Max might be too much. Any thoughts from you electric guys would be much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Depends on your plan for which motor you plan to use. We are pushing a Sidewinder thru its paces with a 13.5 in DO, and before you say thats mild, ask me what gear ratio....We are limited to 13.5's in big block, and we generally run right on the edge of thermalling the motors on the last lap.

If you opt for the cheaper one, get the programmer. You will need it.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rogueldr
I've been into R/C for a few years now but I've only ever had Nitros. I recently got my hands on an HPI E-Firestorm rolling chassis and I was wondering which Castle Creations system to go w/ for it. I'm looking to go w/ the 5700 motors. From what I've read the Mamba Max system is insanely fast. The sidewinder also gets rave reviews and is alot cheaper. I'm looking to run on a pretty tight curvy track and i thought the Max might be too much. Any thoughts from you electric guys would be much appreciated.
Unless you're planning on running the 6900kv or 7700kv motors, go with the sidewinder. There really isn't much of a difference between the two when you run the 4600 and the 5700. Plus the Sidewinder is great value.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rogueldr
It comes down to gearing and how you are running the truck.
I race my 2wd buggy for over 6 months with the Sidewinder running the 4600 or 5700 motors from time to time and if the gearing is good you won't have any problems.

Best bang speedo on the market for what you get.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Dragula426
Depends on your plan for which motor you plan to use. We are pushing a Sidewinder thru its paces with a 13.5 in DO, and before you say thats mild, ask me what gear ratio....We are limited to 13.5's in big block, and we generally run right on the edge of thermalling the motors on the last lap.

Your running basically a sport speedo so the fets are not as good so thermalling might be a problem. Now if you ran the Mamba Max instead your gearing wouldn't be close to thermalling the speedo.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dragula426

The Sidewinder will handle a 13.5 perfectly fine as long as it's geared right. Most of the guys running the 13.5s are gearing around the low 20s and are not having any temp issues... And the Castle motors are fine all the way up to 200 degrees. There are also racers running 7.5s with the sidewinder with no problems either. Gearing is key here.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys now I'm thinking Sidewinder. I'm not sure what size the stock spur gear is on the E-FS but I was thinking an 18 tooth pinion for starters and go from there. Oh yeah if I'm not mistaken the Sidewinder ESC can handle brushed motors too right?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
The Sidewinder will handle a 13.5 perfectly fine as long as it's geared right. Most of the guys running the 13.5s are gearing around the low 20s and are not having any temp issues... And the Castle motors are fine all the way up to 200 degrees. There are also racers running 7.5s with the sidewinder with no problems either. Gearing is key here.
Actually, I run a Tekin RS-pro with my 13.5, but I purchased the sidewinder to replace my buddies Novak I was borrowing until I choose a new brushless ESC and kinda blew it up the day before the Tekin arrived.

The Sidewinder was kinda a trial type thing to see if it would run with the insane roll outs some of us run...It will cog like crazy with a high roll out, until you spend some time with the programmer. I drove the car with it in last wednesday (not mine), and its not bad, it made the A and beat me out of 3rd. It cogs for about <1 rev from a dead stop. After that, its just as smooth as the others I have driven. I think, for the money, its a very good value. Just their ad is decieving because it shows solder posts, and it comes pre-wired without any posts.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

The sidewinder is a great esc. I'm running 13.5 with it, and havnt had heat issues at all. the castle link is well worth the money. The amount of programability is more than any other esc i've seen before.

I wish the sidewinder had soldering posts, then i could use better wire. Oh well. Perhaps i'll have to make some modifications to mine...

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sorry to step in and hijack the thread, but alot of you guys seem like you know these two esc's well. My question is, I have the Mamba 5700kv motor. This past weekend the shaft some how broke clean off, not sure how but none the less I sent it in for repair/warranty. Since I really needed a motor by this weekend for a club race, I ordered a Tekin Redline 358. I got it cause it was sensorless( for my sidewinder esc) and had a 5800KV rating so it was gonna be close to what the Mamba was. My real question is the Tekin says it's a 3.5 Turn motor, while Mamba says there's is 9-10 Turn. Will I have to change anything on my Castle Link or can I even run the Tekin at all with my Sidewinder?

Thanks for your help and input!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by yzracer758
Sorry to step in and hijack the thread, but alot of you guys seem like you know these two esc's well. My question is, I have the Mamba 5700kv motor. This past weekend the shaft some how broke clean off, not sure how but none the less I sent it in for repair/warranty. Since I really needed a motor by this weekend for a club race, I ordered a Tekin Redline 358. I got it cause it was sensorless( for my sidewinder esc) and had a 5800KV rating so it was gonna be close to what the Mamba was. My real question is the Tekin says it's a 3.5 Turn motor, while Mamba says there's is 9-10 Turn. Will I have to change anything on my Castle Link or can I even run the Tekin at all with my Sidewinder?

Thanks for your help and input!
I never ran the Tekin Redline motors but the Tekin Rep that posts alot in these forums posted that the Tekin Redline Sensorless motors work great with the Castle speedos and should run just like the Castle Motors due in terms of working without any problems.

Not sure on gearing and setup but I think Tekin rates their motors a little differently. I would just gear down maybe a tooth or two and run it and see how closely it performs to your 5700 motor. If it is close and the temps are close then gear it back to where you normally run and try it again.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Tekin motor work as well as castle motor with castle controller. I use a tekin 448 geared 23/87 with a Mamba Max. Never thermaled it, Motor is around 70° Celsius. The most important is to get some serious battery no matter how good is the motor or the ESC if the battery sux, the whole setup will
I will never ever buy a stick pack again

I drive my T4 with a 2S2P A123 setup right now, barely 7 volts and it has some serious power.

Don't be fooled by the number of turn on Tekin motor. It better to rely on KV number. 358 Is more than enought in 2WD.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Yes good batteries really help with how well you Castle system works, and any system for that matter. The better the batteries the better performance your esc and motor will give you.

Mister-T your 100% right. Lowend stick packs can cause problems especially with higher end performance motors.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Man, you guys are lucky RB Five is on vacation. If not, this thread would have been off-topic from the second post.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SQC049
Man, you guys are lucky RB Five is on vacation. If not, this thread would have been off-topic from the second post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.