R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Factory spray

I wonder if Losi or AE have a spray for tires? You'd think they could sell all different colors based on how "hot" you want your tires. Are the factory guys using wd-40?
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are others that make traction compounds that work great.

And yes there was a race the the FT drivers used WD-40, and that was at CRCRC midwest champs(not sure when off hand, but that is what they were useing) if I remember right.

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A few years back AE came to our track for our "BIG" winter race. Usually the track is damp clay with wheelie everywhere traction. Well, it didnt get enough water for Sun. and it was a little dry. AE ( and just about everyone else) was using wd-40. While it did "work". IT also caused the track condition to get worse at a rapid rate. After that no one used wd again. There are MUCH better things out there and are available at any automotive shop. Try out some belt dressing (the kind that comes out white foamy).

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the indoor clay track last winter, the standard prep for losi pink tapers (usually ground down to slicks) was:
Starting on Monday night, liberally dope your tires with Goof-Off and stick them in a ziplock bag to soak for at least a day
Tuesday, take the tires out and liberally dope them with WD-40, and put back in the bag.
Wednsday or Thursday, dope them with WD-40 again and put back in the bag.
Friday, dope them again with WD-40, put them back in the bag, and leave them until raceday.
They will come out STUPID sticky. Redo the Goof-Off then WD-40 treatment for every round. You'll have crazy traction. Only down side is that keep the tires sealed in the bag kills the foam inserts pretty fast, so keep replacing them.

Zip Grip Free applied before every race works nearly as well, and doesn't kill the inserts nearly as fast.

Again, this is for Losi Pink Tapers ground to slicks.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Yeah just like stealth said all the old school drivers in the mid 90's where doing like that.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

excellent tip! will have to give this a go.!
dr_gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
At the indoor clay track last winter, the standard prep for losi pink tapers (usually ground down to slicks) was:
Starting on Monday night, liberally dope your tires with Goof-Off and stick them in a ziplock bag to soak for at least a day
Tuesday, take the tires out and liberally dope them with WD-40, and put back in the bag.
Wednsday or Thursday, dope them with WD-40 again and put back in the bag.
Friday, dope them again with WD-40, put them back in the bag, and leave them until raceday.
They will come out STUPID sticky. Redo the Goof-Off then WD-40 treatment for every round. You'll have crazy traction. Only down side is that keep the tires sealed in the bag kills the foam inserts pretty fast, so keep replacing them.

Zip Grip Free applied before every race works nearly as well, and doesn't kill the inserts nearly as fast.

Again, this is for Losi Pink Tapers ground to slicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
Yeah just like stealth said all the old school drivers in the mid 90's where doing like that.
If you want to go really old school and not spend the week on tire prep then you just take the tires (we ran them ground down to slicks also) and hose them down with WD-40 right before your race and then take a lighter to them. They get nice and warm and gooey. Unbelievable traction but you pretty much have to have a set of tires for every heat. Please do this outside not inside.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1

i have used them on my 18th scale for about 2 years now... i love it.. before a race i ususally spray them on the tires and let sit.. and then spray again and put in a ziplock bag... and 10 minutes before each run i will spray again... i never wipe them down..

motor review
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5643067/tm.htm
http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/156814-vendetta-bl-motor-reviews-pros-cons.html

tire review
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6000527/tm.htm
jaejw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #24
Tech Master

I had a xx4 we w/lrp 5.5 that I ran slicks on, and I would wd-40 them up (soaked), let sit for about 1 minute. Then drop it on the track and pull the trigger. It looked so cool, all 4 wheels looked like a top fuel dragster when the tires ballon up. It would go about 30 feet and when I let off the throttle and I sware you could here the "squeel" when the tires slowed down enough to get traction.

I'm easely entertained

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Anyone ever used hairspray? That seems to make things sticky.

I use WD-40 for cleaning. I spray my car with it (normally just the front/rear section, arms, hubs, shocks, etc.) and then blow it off with about 100 psi from a good air compressor. The WD-40 makes plastic look new, and gives everything a nice thin dirt repelling coat. It also helps repel any moisture from the air compressor or humid days in the tote bag. I always see people with rusting parts and wonder how they don't know to treat this.

BEWARE: try not to spray things like your air filter and especially ball bearings. Bearings do not like WD-40, and it will cause accelerated wear.
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #26
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
WD-40 on tires. What does this do?
I've been to tons of big events and yet to see a name-brand pro use it, so that ought to tell you something.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

WD40 works as a traction compound on rubbers that are high in natural rubber content. It makes Proline R3, Losi Pink and Panther "C" rubber more sticky however it does have oils in it so if your track is one that makes the best traction when dirt coats the tires then WD40 is not as good as some traction compounds that contain solvents but less oils. M3 M2 and other "normal" rubbers don't react the same way so it acts more like an anti stick agent for them but silicone works much better for that purpose.

I use WD40 as a bonding agent for bicycle grips. It acts as a lube when you put them on and then makes the rubber really sticky after a couple hours to keep them in place.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote