B4 rims

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default B4 rims

Anyone know if Losi rims will fit on a B4 ? I know they fit on the B44 just not sure about the B4 .
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ya they should.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're talking about the rear rims, yes, they will fit.

Regarding the rims between B44 and B4, the rear rims are identical. In fact, when I bought my Rulux wheels for my B44, I had to search it as "rulux b4"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTTC7&P=ML

I used to use Bk2 rears AND the fronts for my B4. For the front, you'll have to do a Losi mod on it, which was quite popular a couple of years ago, when the trueness of Proline's wheels were less then desirable...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom_chang79

Regarding the rims between B44 and B4, the rear rims are identical. In fact, when I bought my Rulux wheels for my B44, I had to search it as "rulux b4"

I used to use Bk2 rears AND the fronts for my B4. For the front, you'll have to do a Losi mod on it, which was quite popular a couple of years ago, when the trueness of Proline's wheels were less then desirable...
What mod for the front ? Gotta make the axle hole in the rims bigger ?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Here it is:

http://www.rc10b4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2931

Many of us used to do this for two reason:

1) Being able to use Losi's rims, which in general were more true and much tougher (IMO). The channeled area where the tire beads meet the rims are much more sensical. Proline channels were often narrower then the beads of their OWN TIRE. That design didn't make any sense at all

2) Being able to keep the bearings inside the steering knuckle. This prevented losing bearings when you take your front wheels off in the pits or if it flys off on the track...

I really like AE's stuff, but sometimes, but they lack in quality control sometimes on some of their product (probably due to the tremendous amount of volume AE deals with). But on the lighter side, AE's customer service is quite good.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to quote myself on the last post that I posted on RC10B4.com regarding this thread:

"You don't have to be a fanboy of any brand or a loyalist to any brand. Buy what works best for you. Sticking to one brand is quite foolish since you are only short changing yourself to all the possibilities. If you like B4 great, if you like Bk2 that's great too. They are both great cars. I don't care too much for brand-loyalists because they are only limiting themselves of access to the whole "competition" of this industry. Remember competition fuels innovation. I have owned cars from both brands: Losi and AE. They are both awesome companies. You can't go wrong with either.

As dirtracer has pointed out, the main reason for doing this mod is so that you can use a much "truer" rims. Prolines really screwed us over by having such a botched manufacturing. Although their tires are great, this manufacturing error is unforgiveable (what happened to QA? Shouldn't they have caught this mistake before the product was even shipped? do they not spin the wheels to make sure it's somewhat balanced?). I guess the owner of Proline didn't want to swallow their own mistakes (you know, by throwing them out or reworking the botched molding if possible), but rather shove their mistakes down their customers throats. Since Pro-line is the ONLY manufacturer of B4 rims, who's gonna complain right? Where other company would we turn to right? Well, with the front mod, that "other" company is Losi.

Losi rims are awesome. Losi products in general, are very high quality. I remember running Losi rubbers back in their "Losi Natural" days. I certainly enjoy more stability and more true tires. If you don't care for more "true" wheels, mount some oval-shaped rims if you can find one and go over bumps. I guarantee you that your car will not handle CONSISTENTLY.

This is not a lecture to promote this mod or promote Losi products. It is merely a friendly reminder to the B4 community that there IS an alternate method to get your front end more stable (from truer tires) and it's not difficult at all. Maybe some of the RTR guys might want to stay away from this mod, but if you're a kit builder, mounting the tires to the rims were much more difficult then drilling a 7/64 hole through an existing hole that's close in size."

Holy crap, I don't remember writing that. But then again, I was much more opinionated in my younger days...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks , I think I have those parts anyway for spares . Now i just have to wait for the buggy to get here .
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79

The rears will fit fine, but the offset is a little bit deeper on Losi rims than AE/proline so your rear width will be slightly narrower overall on a B4 (1/8 inch?). This may or may not affect your handling. We run two BKs and one B4 so I glue all our rears on Losi rims and swap them as needed.

Never tried Losi fronts on the B4, although the BK style front hubs do a much better job of protecting the bearings.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

What about JConcepts? They make wheels for the B4 and B44.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kn7671
What about JConcepts? They make wheels for the B4 and B44.
I`m not asking who makes wheels , but if my Losi wheels will fit . Thanks for the answers guys .