R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

electrics have more torque,more topspeed.the only other thing required for being faster is driving skill.so i think electrics have the advantage
BL Ve8 HVmaxx 6.5
lst2,inferno GT2,mugen mtx3
cornolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I race both on a regular basis and I run almost the same lap times with both cars. I always place the same reguardless of what is powering the car. Both of my cars handle the same and feel very close to each other.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

guys i dont want to come off as a jerk but please only post if you have actual experience racing both types yourself.
everybody has an opinion but that isnt what i am after.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2006 View Post
I'm not sure you can set up an electric 1/8th scale buggy this way. .
Sure you can, begin with the exponential adjustment on the radio. You have a great deal of control over the throttle curve with just this adjustment.

Edumakated, if you and other experienced drivers can't control it, it's overpowered.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon A View Post
I have compared both styles of 1/8 buggy in practice but have never gotten the opportunity to actually race an electric conversion. First of all, the two drive completely different. The nitro feels much heavier in the air and around corners than the electric. Not all bad as it helps with traction and stability in the air. The electric feels much lighter and more agile however this, for me at least, took away some confidence in pushing the vehicle to the same level as the nitro. The other major difference I found was in the way the power came on. In my experience nitro vehicles seem more often than not to have excessive power which requires more throttle control on the driver's part. Again, not always bad as long as the driver knows what he's doing. The electric was slightly more user friendly as the power came on a little smoother. Though power delivery was smoother, the electric was by no means underpowered. I have run electrics for years and have always liked the consistent and smooth power of electrics vs. nitros so to me this is an advantage of electric over nitro. Both can be set up to be fast and IMO it's more driver preference and skill than anything in the end.
Brandon A ran my RC8-E which was configured with a heavy battery pack setup, the 4S 6000mah PolyRC pack while most use a lighter 5000mah 4S pack. And Brandon can put down some fast laps with nitros and electrics, no doubt.

I have raced both types, well, at least when the nitro wanted to work. What i noticed is that with the electric, the instant torque response requires either you to turn down the punch settings on the ESC or play with settings on the radio (my RC8-E had this done to it somewhat) or really learn throttle control on the trigger. But once you get it down, like driving a 1/10 scale 4wd E-buggy, thats what you basically have, except in 1/8 scale form.

Does it have an advantage over a nitro buggy, depends really on track configuration in my opinion. On flowing tracks, I would say no. On tracks that have abrupt jumps that you have no lead up on, yes. You don't need the high dollar modded engine and pipe combo to pop over them as I have seen in nitro at times. Could easily do that on my cheap medusa motor.

Electric in a way could l be a great equalizer once the class has enough following to stand on its own as in general as the medium grade motors like the medusa for about $120 can perform about as well as a Neu from what I am seeing, and I have both. Once Castle gets there motor out there, and Losi has there's too, should be interesting stuff.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Sure you can, begin with the exponential adjustment on the radio. You have a great deal of control over the throttle curve with just this adjustment.

Edumakated, if you and other experienced drivers can't control it, it's overpowered.
An exponential throttle curve helps but it's still not the same.

Where did Edumakated say he couldn't control his car?
SD2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
Tech Adept

I ran a brushless e-maxx several times in the monster truck class (against nitro) at Sun Valley many years ago. The limiting factor was my lack of skill (chassis tuning and driving) and the ability of the e-maxx to stay in one piece. Electric is just as worthy as nitro, they just require a different style of driving.

I also have a 1/8 gas buggy that I'm enjoying atm. But if I can run brushless in it against other electrics (and nitro for the time being) I would consider a conversion. Problem w/ 1/8 electric buggy is in some instances they (gas) run extremely long mains (which I don't personally care for) and that may pose a problem for electrics.

So a short enough main and 1/8 electric/nitro runs together. Given enough 1/8 electric they should have their own class.
Czolgosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

To all you fellas w/ elec.....do you run with the nitro guys? What are the rules at your track in regards to pitting? I know it takes a significant amount longer to change the batts as opposed to filling a fuel tank. The fella that runs with us just does one pit over the course of a 30 min. main because it takes so long. It's been pretty fair so far.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the race is short enough to make it on a single battery, we just have the electric come in for pits like the nitros... @ the same 7 and 15 min mark...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
Tech Elite

and depending on your "pitguy" it can be a very funny experience. I about started crying I was laughing so hard when Cam Martin acted like he was fueling my fusion up. There were a lot of people laughing on the track.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Agreed about the pitting. Thats pretty much the rules in RC Pro Series for the classes that run mixed and what was done out here.

If we get an open class going again, that will be the rule again.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As the traction comes up the electric starts to gain an advantage as it can start to put down some of that instant torque. On the outdoor tracks I run the traction is low and my electric is no faster than my nitro. The real advantage comes from the reliability on the track. My electric has yet to flame out or lose the clutch. This alone has helped me win races. I just hope it doesn't flame on.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote