R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to CE28N
Default The art of tire gluing.

Hi all,

I've been trying to glue tires properly, but they always turn out terribly wavy. I can't get past putting slot A into Slot B without having the tire not seat properly into the rim. The glue then sticks instantly and its stuck with the tires not seated properly into the rim. Any way to remedy this? I usually glue holeshots to 2.2 rear rims with the bombo onw inserts. I've seen ppl trim the inner diameter of the inserts as well as use rubber bands. is this the normal way to do this? Any feedback would be great...
CE28N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE28N View Post
Hi all,

I've been trying to glue tires properly, but they always turn out terribly wavy. I can't get past putting slot A into Slot B without having the tire not seat properly into the rim. The glue then sticks instantly and its stuck with the tires not seated properly into the rim. Any way to remedy this? I usually glue holeshots to 2.2 rear rims with the bombo onw inserts. I've seen ppl trim the inner diameter of the inserts as well as use rubber bands. is this the normal way to do this? Any feedback would be great...
I learned last week it's easier for me to put the rubber bands on after i glue the tires. My problem was i always had them peel off after using them. I got it down to a science now though. Last set i did was top notch

i cut the beads on Losi and panther tires, not really so much on prolines.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Here's a video guide, itís for 1/8 tires but the technique is similar for 2.2 tires the bead is just a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmWfFyh668

Using motor spay to wipe down the wheel and bead works better than sanding in my opinion though.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i hold them with rubberbands also. u could use medium glue, takes alittle longer to stick, gives more time to manuever the tire
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I always cut about 1mm from the tire beads before mounting the tires to the rims. Just makes it so much easiser for me to fit the tire beads into the rims.
Then the rubber bands go on the tires. For gluing, I make 2 passes around the tire, gluing small sections at a time. For the first pass, I glue the inner tire bead only, which makes it easier to re-seat the tire bead, and then follow up by gluing the outer bead on the second pass. It's time consuming, but the results are very good once you get the hang of it.

(Don't forget to scuff the rims and clean the tire beads first)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As two have already mentioned, prep is important to a good glue job. I start off by roughing up the area on wheel where bead will sit. Not much, but def rough it up. Then use denat alcohol to wipe the area clean and wipe bead at least twice. I assemble best I can without handling the bead a lot. Once assembled, I make sure they are fully and evenly seated.

Rubber bands next - I use the big thick Losi ones. A quality tire glue is a must, cheaping out on CA is not an option. I use Losi thin and their micro applicator - its a small tube you cut and stick in the end of the CA bottle. Super precise, controlled amount of CA right where you want it to be. Peel tire back and apply CA, prob do 4 -5 places around tire. Let it dry, flip over and repeat.

Chrome wheels - only way to glue and stay glued - remove chrome where bead glued down. Alum wheels - rough the bead area up really well.

You can try debonder or acetone to see if you can undo the problem areas on your wheels. Good luck, we were all there once, it gets better as you get more experience.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Tech Master

I have started having really good success with putting the rubber bands on first and then just gently pulling the sidewall away from the rim as I go around clockwise, squirting glue onto the rubber and immediately letting it back into the rim, then moving to the next part. I've gotten to where I do it fairly quickly now - I highly recommend using the straw that's usually included with tire glue (at least with the Losi kind I use). It lets you control the amount much more easily...all you need is to wet the area completely and immediately let it back into the rim - the rubber bands help keep the pressure on the bead.

Also, as others have said before, make sure to clean the surfaces of the tire bead and the wheel first, to get rid of any mold release (you'll see it on the rag when you clean it). That helps a lot. Losi also has some extra wide rubber bands that you only have to put on the tire, no double-wrapping like you'd have to do with a normal rubber band. Those work really well and apply even pressure to the bead, at the edge of the tire.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Use Losi glue straight from your freezer. It'll give you about 5 minutes of slow cure.

Mount your tires up just as if they were glued and ready to run. Push one sides bead back into the center of the rim. The Losi glue bottle tip is a perfect fit into the 2.2 rim where the bead goes. Run the glue completely around the rim and them pinch your tire pulling your bead into place one inch at a time going counter clockwise (each inch adjusting the bead into place). Repeat on the other side and put rubber bands on to cure.

Take the rubber bands off and pull the side walls back putting glue into the gap. Do both sides and put the rubber bands on to cure.
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

These are the best rubber bands for gluing. The tabs make it easy to line up the band perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of tire gluing.-paha102.jpg  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I use the Panther bands for my 1/8 tires and Losi rubber bands for 1/10 tires . As mentioned proper prep and a medium glue works great as it gives you a little more time to make any last minute adjustments if needed .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

The key to tire gluing is to use a glue that is a SLOWER SET. anything that sets instantly is terrible in my opinion because the sec it touches the rubber on the tires your done. try using either losi blue or proline 5-20 sec. also make sure to use either a rubberband or some electrical tape. pull the tire up from the bead and place the glue then stretch the tire over to the side and drop it in the bead. works great for me but remember that the key is slower setting glue.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have used many different types of ca glue, and all of them did their job. I am currently using the associated glue which comes with a tube like the losi glue does. First thing I do is use my dremel with a sanding wheel and sand the beads of the tire. I sand them until they no longer have any of the shiny black finish on them. Then I cut off a little bit of the bead, how much I cut depends on the tires I am using, some tires have wider beads. I then put the foams in the tires (sometimes I cut them) and work the foams in. I do this by using my fore fingers and using the paddle wheel motion get the foams evenly inside the tire. Then I mount the tires and align once again. Once I have deemed that the tires are on straight I pull back the entire bead off the channel of the rim. I then add drops of glue to the channel and walk it around the rim, like I were gluing a carbon chassis. I then start pulling the tire back into the channel, working it in as I go, when that side of the tire is fully seated I put a j-concepts rubber band on it, and let it sit for an hour. After that repeat for the other side. I will not use the tires until they have cured overnight.

Using this method I cannot remember the last time part of a tire came off the rim.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
Suspended

Talking AE...

Thats taking some time damn. does that get you some wins!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Thats taking some time damn. does that get you some wins!
Doesn`t really take that much time and yes it can get you some wins . Really sucks when your leading the race and at the last few laps a tires blows off . Better to take the extra time the first time and get it done right .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to CE28N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC View Post
The key to tire gluing is to use a glue that is a SLOWER SET. anything that sets instantly is terrible in my opinion because the sec it touches the rubber on the tires your done. try using either losi blue or proline 5-20 sec. also make sure to use either a rubberband or some electrical tape. pull the tire up from the bead and place the glue then stretch the tire over to the side and drop it in the bead. works great for me but remember that the key is slower setting glue.
Actually, I was thinking of using some slower setting glue. This means actually gluing the tires BEFORE I get to the track but it should let me have more time to make sure the sides of the tire are seated properly. The last pair of tires I glued properly were the... Losi X-patterns on my RC10 Worlds Edition car. hahahahaha

I actually get one side to seat properly because I glue the outside first and let the inner side sit in the middle of the wheel. But when I try to get the other side, bad things happen.....

thx for the advice everybody.
CE28N is offline   Reply With Quote