R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An punishment appropriate to the crime??? How about a date with a hairy 400lbs dude named Helga
bprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronR View Post
THIS is what happens all too often during marshalling... WATCHING THE DAMN RACE! Watch your marshalling area. DO NOT watch the race unless you are DAMN sure there are no cars in your area. Period.
I agree with that, if you want to watch cars on the track, then do that in pratice not durring a race.

I like to have fun marshalling areas that cars will crash most of the time (unless I need a break), as I find it fun having to doge other cars that are flying at you, as you try to help another car (I don't run in fun of other cars, it is more like I went to fix a car, fixed it, turn around and there are more cars out of nowhere (normally I will try to stay near a tube if I am stuck on the track to stay out of the way of other cars))

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #18
Tech Adept

But seriously, the ROAR rules are sufficient.

With respect to people not watching their marshalling area, flogging is sufficient. I've fallen victem to a marshal with his back turned to the track while working on somebody else's car. Another recent case was a marshal texting while the race director nearly screaming at him to flip the car in front of him. If you're marshalling, then do your job and nothing else.
bprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Tech Master

And for the love of Pete, don't come to the track wearing sandles and take up the post at the most-crashed area of the track, stand out there with a lit cigarette you have to marshal BEFORE the cars, I mean...basically just common sense stuff.

Other than that, marshal people the way you'd like to be marshaled...because you will be remembered.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mike Friery loves to snoodle!

imo i think they should be docked 1 lap for each time they dont marshal. but dont dock them off qualifing, a fast guy can still make the main. dock them a lap off thier main time. they cant make up for that.
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmey View Post
A good kick in the AZZ !!!.....To marshal is fun for me as you get the ring side seat and you see how other buggys perform on the turns and jumps.
It allso shows that you are not too proud to help out and pick up a few cars !!!
Timmey
Its not a "ring side seat"--you should be watching your corner and nearby corners if that marshall isn't on his game. Its not a good time to see how people are driving, save that for when you are truly spectating a race. I see too many marshalls staring into space or walking slowly to cars. I have made my own marshalling mistakes over time (feet getting in front of cars, putting cars down into moving traffic) but I always give a good effort.

Another thing I always see (and I totally disagree with it) is a driver expecting a marshall to look over his car and try to fix it on the spot if it stopped moving--even if its something small like a ball cup or the receiver switch turning off I believe the car should be put down or passed to a marshall closest to the drivers stand and let the driver fix it. I expect the same treatment when I am driving. If I crash and break, put down my car or if there is time pass it to a closer marshall and I will get it and try to fix it quickly . The marshall should retrieve crashed cars and nothing else.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
Another thing I always see (and I totally disagree with it) is a driver expecting a marshall to look over his car and try to fix it on the spot if it stopped moving--even if its something small like a ball cup or the receiver switch turning off I believe the car should be put down or passed to a marshall closest to the drivers stand and let the driver fix it. I expect the same treatment when I am driving. If I crash and break, put down my car or if there is time pass it to a closer marshall and I will get it and try to fix it quickly . The marshall should retrieve crashed cars and nothing else.
To add to this, I have seen a few marshalls walk from the back of the track, stright across the track, go all the way to the drivers stand (or near the steps) and hand you your car if it is broken, then they take their sweet time to go back to their sopt. It is nice that they want to hand you your car, but that isn't their job.

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #23

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

they used to hold up racing to every1 was accounted for. so in some cases, some1 tryin to skip or was forgetful. sadly had 8-10guys from the next heat starin at em. but now some i guess know that the race days need to get shorted and they cant make such delays. especially in a nitro race i'd guess.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim600 View Post
Was at a race event yesterday where the fastest driver won convincingly in the first two A-mains (1st and 1st) so he sat out the third one, and then stupidly neglected his turn marshall duties. There was some trackside talk about him possibly losing all the points from one of his best mains, but in the end, the race organisers concluded he was still the overall winner.

What are the rules for this at the big events where you guys are?

The next time he does marshall I'd glue his car to his pit table. And yes, I would.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So whats the general rule for taking a disabled car off the track? I always was told remove it and set it down out of harms way and continue marshalling. Last time I raced, seen a argument almost come to blows because a person marshalling set the broken car to the side to remain at his post. The driver involved was arguing that its the marshals job to return the car to the drivers stand for possible repairs. The driver ended up leaving, but before he did made sure to yell, and cause a scene all front of young drivers that were there for a good time. I guess there's one in every crowd.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

If the other cars are no where near my area I`ll hand it to someone that comes for it or if I`m close enough I`ll toss it on the pit lane for the driver to deal with it . At club races it`s pretty relaxed and not so critical but at big events the broken car sits in my marshaling area safe from other cars unless someone comes to get it . Marshals are there to marshal , not return or repair cars .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
Tech Elite

turn marshal can take the car to the nearest side of the track. pit crewman can pick the car up there.

the marshal's duty is to the race, not to the car.

this is why you are suppose to pick the car up out of the way and set it down in a dead area. You do not flip cars back onto their wheels in front of other cars.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
MDB
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
So whats the general rule for taking a disabled car off the track? I always was told remove it and set it down out of harms way and continue marshalling. Last time I raced, seen a argument almost come to blows because a person marshalling set the broken car to the side to remain at his post. The driver involved was arguing that its the marshals job to return the car to the drivers stand for possible repairs. The driver ended up leaving, but before he did made sure to yell, and cause a scene all front of young drivers that were there for a good time. I guess there's one in every crowd.

People like that show that many take this hobby WWAAAAYYYYY too seriously.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The novice class is the only time I ever fix a car while marshalling. Everyone else should either keep their car together or deal with a broken car.

Oh yeah, people who don't marshal should be kicked in the nuts.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im getting tired of lazy marshals, yeah its my fault that i crashed but it happens, sometimes its not my fault and you get the marshal not paying attention and/or taking there sweet time not trying to burn any calories to grap your electric car like its going to bite them and flipping it over slowly, and its not like im pinning the throttle ill only do that to try to get there attention when there watching their butt buddies car go around the track.

When i marshall i bust my friken' ars literaly and dont get in the way of cars on the track or throwing down a car in front of another one. i have an average fall ratio of about 1:4, ill eat it usually due to wet tracks and my reluctancy to buy new shoes. The best fall was at ocrc right in front of the camera, i know some of you guys saw it.

An example of how bad the marshaling can be, last saturday night i had to run from the pits during my friends a main truggy race to flip him over about 30' away and passed a circling marshall to do it, he still got 2nd but who knows maybe that cost him the race, and yes i almost macked it on that run.

Im not saying you have to be on the virge of falling to be a good marshall, just atleast make a valiant effort because i know you would want the same.

Wow sorry for the long flame, it feels better to get that off of my chest.

Back on topic, i think the least that can happen for a racer that refuses to marshal is to dock them a lap or one position which ever is greater.