R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
you always see people in the rookie area asking about nitro or saying they have one but dont know how to tune it or fix it they always think its so much better because of the cool noise and speed but they arent educated and dont research at all on electric performance some are just too ignorant to consider anything else
u r right theres a lot of kids at my skool
and they say o electric suck nitro is the best and fastes. no its not
and they never listen
www.michianarc.com
www.steelmx.com(Sponsor)
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to mrwuffles

ya i have the same prob at my school but those are the kids too lazy to fix there own cars and have there dad fix it so they tink they know but they cant even change there glow plug
mrwuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

You guys are funny I'm surprized you can make own your car run the one drive every day. Oh wait that's because it has a engine computer and idiot lights. But you still can't follow them either you keep driving it in tell it stops moving. I'm stocked you can make a electric car going either. You don't see any electric cars on the street I mean one that anyone can own and able to drive coast to coast.

Nitro power engine one of the simplist engines to run. A simple form of a internal combustion engine out there. Needs no computer or electrical system to keep it running.

Most seem to forget NITRO powered cars/planes were around long before electric cars.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCRat Send a message via Skype™ to RCRat

I have been in the hobby a whole two months now...I have a Traxxas Slash. Which was perfect to start with. But this is what I found very discouraging...

We have a LHS around here that knows nothing about electric, they are all about nitro and could care less about electric, so I have to order EVERY part I want. And I built my own off-road track (I jumped into it with both feet!!)...within 1 week of me finishing it a guy comes out there with his nitro cars and is criticizing the fact that the track is too small 72x38'...I tell him it was specifically built for a small club running electrics ONLY. He doesn't get it and continues to show up running his gas powered cars...And one day he's out there and he's running his car around and they were fast and cool and all. And as I leave he comes by me and says "Looks like I just sold nitro!"...WHAT WAS THAT? Like electrics are inferior and not worthy to be in the same planet as you nitro guys....I was really turned off by this attitude. So I went to a local track where they race and it was fun....They couldn't drive for crap, but it was fun to watch...but I stopped to talk to some of them and as soon as I mentioned getting an Electric.....it just seemed like they would rather piss on my head than give me the time of day.

And then there's the hobby shop which is nice, but the way I see it is...if you are an RC shop, maybe you should know "RC" not just nitro. Well, anyway my rant is over but I am a newbie to the hobby and I love it....but that love was definitely NOT spawned by the nitro guys I met......

You wanna know a newbie's point of view?

What hurts this hobby the most is people like that!!!

I'm just thankful there's RCTech...
RCRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Needs no computer or electrical system to keep it running.
UH....yes they do! Try running your nitro car without a receiver battery....lemme know how that works for ya! Cars (since you were comparing nitro to real gas power cars) all have and NEED electrical systems AND computers (now days) to keep them running.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Just had a funny thought...Electrics don't need gas to run...but gas needs electric!...hmmmm
Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

But electrics need gas to power generators to power up our chargers
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVRC View Post
I have been in the hobby a whole two months now...I have a Traxxas Slash. Which was perfect to start with. But this is what I found very discouraging...

We have a LHS around here that knows nothing about electric, they are all about nitro and could care less about electric, so I have to order EVERY part I want. And I built my own off-road track (I jumped into it with both feet!!)...within 1 week of me finishing it a guy comes out there with his nitro cars and is criticizing the fact that the track is too small 72x38'...I tell him it was specifically built for a small club running electrics ONLY. He doesn't get it and continues to show up running his gas powered cars...And one day he's out there and he's running his car around and they were fast and cool and all. And as I leave he comes by me and says "Looks like I just sold nitro!"...WHAT WAS THAT? Like electrics are inferior and not worthy to be in the same planet as you nitro guys....I was really turned off by this attitude. So I went to a local track where they race and it was fun....They couldn't drive for crap, but it was fun to watch...but I stopped to talk to some of them and as soon as I mentioned getting an Electric.....it just seemed like they would rather piss on my head than give me the time of day.

And then there's the hobby shop which is nice, but the way I see it is...if you are an RC shop, maybe you should know "RC" not just nitro. Well, anyway my rant is over but I am a newbie to the hobby and I love it....but that love was definitely NOT spawned by the nitro guys I met......

You wanna know a newbie's point of view?

What hurts this hobby the most is people like that!!!

I'm just thankful there's RCTech...
That's what you call a Gashole !

All in humour gentlemen
Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #39
Tech Master

I really don't think nitro hurt this hobby at all.. I think just the opposite.. Without nitro our hobby would haved died a horrible death!

As painful as it is for many many newbs that pick gas because it looks and sounds cool, they have kept the few shops and tracks alive. When I first started out nearly 2 decades ago, there have been many local hobby shops and tracks come and go.. today there are very few around these days.. I remember 6 hobby shops within 25 miles and 7 local tracks within 30 miles... today... 2 hobby shops and 3 tracks, one is gas only and one is 1/8th gas only, within 30 miles.

Times change.. the few shops and tracks that have electric only have low end or high end.... so when somebody gets into it with the low end and start to race, they get discouraged because those of us that have the top end totally outclass their equipement..

Electric is making a come back out here in Southern California.. a lot is due to the brushless setups.. now anybody can be fast!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

batteries are for starter boxes.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
batteries are for starter boxes.
Ha ha good one, i wonder what powers your receiver, servos, transponder and radio? Oh wait.... i guess batteries are for that as well right?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater salad View Post
But electrics need gas to power generators to power up our chargers
Good One!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
UH....yes they do! Try running your nitro car without a receiver battery....lemme know how that works for ya! Cars (since you were comparing nitro to real gas power cars) all have and NEED electrical systems AND computers (now days) to keep them running.
Really I need a servo to run the engine WOW you know it will run there without servo attached to it. This is why these threads are soooo funny. Plus you ever heard of teather cars.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Just had a funny thought...Electrics don't need gas to run...but gas needs electric!...hmmmm

Yes it does how do you get to the track
Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
I really don't think nitro hurt this hobby at all.. I think just the opposite.. Without nitro our hobby would haved died a horrible death!

As painful as it is for many many newbs that pick gas because it looks and sounds cool, they have kept the few shops and tracks alive. When I first started out nearly 2 decades ago, there have been many local hobby shops and tracks come and go.. today there are very few around these days.. I remember 6 hobby shops within 25 miles and 7 local tracks within 30 miles... today... 2 hobby shops and 3 tracks, one is gas only and one is 1/8th gas only, within 30 miles.

Times change.. the few shops and tracks that have electric only have low end or high end.... so when somebody gets into it with the low end and start to race, they get discouraged because those of us that have the top end totally outclass their equipement..

Electric is making a come back out here in Southern California.. a lot is due to the brushless setups.. now anybody can be fast!

Jerome
True that
It always goes back and forth this year it's nitro next year it's electric then back to nitro. It's alway's been this way and always will be.