R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   LiPo: Charger and Battery Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/240362-lipo-charger-battery-question.html)

Czolgosz 09-02-2008 02:11 PM

LiPo: Charger and Battery Question

So I wanna get two MaxAmps LiPo packs (one for myself and the other for my son) for our Slash's. We race them together at HRH's and that's all they'd (the LiPo's) be used for.

I'd like to get the Hyperion EOS0606i charger and two MaxAmps 4200SS packs.

Can I connect the two 2s2p packs together w/ a custom connector (making a single 4s pack) and charge them both together while utilizing the balancer? Any issues w/ doing this?

Jason Pelletier 09-02-2008 02:32 PM

just buy 2 turnigy accucell chargers from hobbycity for 39.99 each. That would prolly be safer and easier.

Who is to say one pack won't need to be charged at a different time then the other.

Dave H 09-02-2008 04:35 PM

What you are asking is possible, but that charger is limited to 50 watts. So you would be limited to about 3 amps when charging a 4s lipo. And if the 2 batteries weren't discharged the same, I think it would spend a lot of time balancing.

rjs_13203 09-02-2008 04:40 PM

they make a duo charger
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0610i-DUO.htm

Czolgosz 09-02-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RB FIVE (Post 4798537)
just buy 2 turnigy accucell chargers from hobbycity for 39.99 each. That would prolly be safer and easier.

Who is to say one pack won't need to be charged at a different time then the other.

Cool, man. I'm reading through this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=886698&page=3 about the Turnigy.

Czolgosz 09-02-2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by rjs_13203 (Post 4798902)

I saw that one, but at $285.00... yee-ouch :D

Czolgosz 09-02-2008 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H (Post 4798887)
What you are asking is possible, but that charger is limited to 50 watts. So you would be limited to about 3 amps when charging a 4s lipo. And if the 2 batteries weren't discharged the same, I think it would spend a lot of time balancing.

That's an excellent point about the discharge.

X God 09-02-2008 05:02 PM

I have the Duo charger and absolutely love it,definitely worth the price.I can charge both my packs at the same time regardless of their state of capacity. If you do get one you will need a good power supply.I use a 30 amp 415 watt one. The charger is rated at 180 watts per channel.

rhino420 09-02-2008 07:32 PM

does anyone know what the difference in charge time between the 0606i and the 0610i net? i am looking at getting one of the two chargers but im trying to figure out what is going to suite me better. for the most part i am going to using my slash and charging 2c lipos but i am converting my 8ight-t brushless and i am going to be running 4s 5000 packs. so im trying to figure out if i go with the 6010inet is it going to be blazing faster charging a 4s 5000mah then the 0606i ac/dc charger? thanks in advance

TonysScrews 09-02-2008 11:47 PM

The Hyperion AC/DC charger has a maximum output of only 50 watts while the i-Net has a maximum output of 250 watts. I used to have the EOS 0606i Net but sold it to another racer and bought the EOS 0610i Duo charger to charge two packs at once (180 watts per channel). When at the track last weekend I was running my brushless MBX5R buggy. They were running through the qualifiers pretty quick. If you run, then marshall, then get back to the pits to start charging your LiPo back up there is a good chance you'll cut it very close charging your pack and not make it. If you are limited to the maximum output and the battery has to charge at a lower rate then you might be out of luck. I was cutting it close. If you have multiple packs then it won't be an issue. But I still want to be able to charge as quickly as possible. With newer LiPo cells coming out now that can be charged at a 2C rate it means you'll need a lot of output to take advantage of the quick charge rates as well.

Duster_360 09-03-2008 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by rhino420 (Post 4799601)
.....so im trying to figure out if i go with the 6010inet is it going to be blazing faster charging a 4s 5000mah then the 0606i ac/dc charger? thanks in advance

The ac/dc charger is limited to 50 watts, the 0610iNet puts out 250watts like Tony points out. To do a 2C charge on a 5000mah pac you're looking at charging at 10a, so 10aX16.8v = 168watts. It will actually take more power since the charging voltage has to be higher than batt voltage throughout the charge.

The AC/DC charger will limit the charge rate based on its output limit and will only charge at 3a or less as voltage goes up. Obviously, the 0610iNet will deliver a much faster charge. Make sure you get a strong enough power supply that the PS is not limiting the charger. I use this charger myself and charge a123s at 10a. So far, my lipos haven't gotten that big.

Quinton 10-29-2008 08:57 PM

I just got a Maxamps 3000 3s and I'm looking for a charger and balancer. I was thinking of getting the Onxy 230 and some sort of balancer (I don't know which one?) So that's probably around $110.
Never heard of this Turnigy charger. If I were to buy it and a power source (can you link me one that will work for cheap) would that cover my 3s lipo and nimh batts? Sounds like there's a balancer built into the turnigy, right?

Also, how many volts do you charge a lipo at? Do you have to use a balancer everytime you charge it? Does a new lipo get better after a few charges? (I'm lipo dumb)

Thanks!

Duster_360 10-30-2008 04:31 AM

Lipo charges by number of cells - you input number of cells and charger knows what to do. This is the way charger determines voltage needed. Lipos use a special charge protocol or routine - CC/CV - reason you can't just use a NiMH charger. Charges using constant current until cells reach max voltage of 4.2v/cell. Then it switches to constant voltage to finish/top off capacity without taking the cell over max voltage. Lipo is at about 90% capacity when charger switches to CV.

If you get a balancing charger like the accucell, there is no reason not to balance everytime. I use a Hyperion 0610i balancing changer and balance everytime. Do yyou have too? - Depends on the lipo, if the cells are out of balance, then yes you need to. If they are in balance - no, you don't need too. The higher quality lipo cells are matched when they are assembled and they will stay in balance better than cheaper quality lipo cells even if they are matched when assembled. If your MAs are like others I read about, they will need balancing. If you have a dvm, its easy enough to ck cell voltage using balance tap and see for yourself.

Dean Rawlinson 10-30-2008 06:41 AM

I just got this charger. Even though its DC only it is really nice and can charge any type of battery at up to 10a. and it balances and comes with the tab
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22245

Cain 10-30-2008 06:51 AM

The hyperion duo's are really great chargers. definitely worth the money.

pm if you are wanting a deal on a nib one. I have two of them in stock right now.