help choosing car >

help choosing car

help choosing car

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default help choosing car

hello everyone!!

i have a decision to make. i want a buggy. i was thinking of the team Associated B44. but then i was thinking of getting another on road to go with my TC5. If u have a suggestion about an on road car i should get plz tell. but any reviews on the B44 would be great. i really want ot get one.

TY
TC5AE
Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If that's what you want get one, It's no slouch.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Initiate

well u r rite but i want to know if i should get on road rather than off road im ok with either one just cant make a choice.

ty though

TC5AE
Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC5AE
well u r rite but i want to know if i should get on road rather than off road im ok with either one just cant make a choice.

ty though

TC5AE
Offroad of course. It's more challenging and cheaper !!!

If you can wheel in 2wd buggy you can wheel anything. I suggest 2wd if your starting out in offroad. 4wd is more of a secondary class.

In that regard i reccomend a losi xxx-cr or a kyosho rb5 for a beginner.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I say get an off-road as well... You already have a really good on-road vehicle, the TC5. You should get the next in offroad so you can enjoy that too! The B44 is an awesome vehicle, but like RB5 said, 2WD is FAR more popular. The tire choice is by far better (all 2.2 buggy rears were made for the 2wd, but not all the 4wd fronts are available)...

I would highly recommend something like a J82. It's a RC10T4 converted to a buggy. But you don't have to convert the RC10T4, it's awesome the way it is...

I highly recommend a stadium truck over buggies if you are starting out in off-road. It's much more forgiving to drive. Buggies are a little more trickier IMO...
Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You are asking an off-road forum between off and on-road? I think you have made up your mind, use the dark side of the force Luke...
Attached Thumbnails help choosing car-v25.jpg  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

well guys thanks for the reply! can any off u give me set up sheets for the cars u mentiond? and what do u guys think of the team ae rc10B4? if u no just post. TY a bunch

TY
TC5AE
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

B4 is a great buggy, the Rb5 looks like a real good one too, and you cant go wrong with the losi either.
I wouldnt get a b44 for your first off-road vehicle, you will end up spending alot more money and get frustrated really quickly.
I would recommend a 2wd truck or buggy, truck will be easier to drive but you may not be able to get used to the width difference when on a track since you are used to a TC.
But on the other hand maybe you would be ok with a b44 since you have a TC allready but i would just play it safe and buy a B4 or a T4 and then down the road get a b44. I havent broke my B4 in a long long time. I cant say the same for my xxx-4 tho, i know its a losi and they are more fragile but even the top 4x4s at my track break, its like survival of the fittest when it comes to the 4wd buggy class.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TC5AE
well guys thanks for the reply! can any off u give me set up sheets for the cars u mentiond? and what do u guys think of the team ae rc10B4? if u no just post. TY a bunch

TY
TC5AE
rc10b4.com has a bunch of set-up sheets for this buggy
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Initiate

hey guys by the way. do u know if i should get revesrse on my car if so can any of u tell me if lrp has one cause i am sticking with LRP out of all that i have tried out

TY

Last edited by TC5AE; 09-02-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Tech Addict

What are your plans for this buggy because if you are going to a track they will not allow reverse, maybe in practice but if you reverse into someone and break their car you are gonna have one mad doode.

If you are just going to bash then i guess it would be cool, all my esc's are forward and brake, except my slash which comes with reverse and my 18r which i programmed reverse out of, so i would not be a good source for reversible speedos.

BTW, speaking of a slash, they are a bunch of fun to go bash. May want to consider a slash. If you are wanting to race check with your local track and see if they are running them and what kind of rules they have.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tater salad
I wouldnt get a b44 for your first off-road vehicle, you will end up spending alot more money and get frustrated really quickly.
I would have to respectfully disagree. While 2wd truck and buggy are slightly more popular classes at most tracks, 4wd buggy is the easiest and the most fun to drive, especially for someone just starting out in offroad racing.

The B44 kit only costs about $80-$100 more than the FT B4 & T4 and is practically bulletproof. I've been racing my B44 for over 2 months now every weekend as well as practicing with it on a full track with 1/8 buggies, MGTs, Revos, etc 2x a week and I'm yet to break a single part on it (knock wood). Heck, just yesterday in practice I landed smack on top of a Slash from about 5'-6' up in the air and the B44 just slid off the front of the Slash and kept right on going.

I think someone who is new to offroad will get more frustrated with a 2wd buggy or truck simply because throttle control is so much more of an issue in 2wd (spin outs, twitchiness, etc), whereas 4wd is nearly impossible to lose control over, thanks to the added 4wd grip.

I'd suggest a B44 with a 6.5 or 5.5 brushless sytem, Trakpower LiPos, receiver of your choice and you'll be good to go and you'll have a blast. Once you get good with the B44 (or any 4wd car of your choice) then graduate to a 2wd buggy.

That's just my $.02

Last edited by TimNJ; 09-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimNJ

I think someone who is new to offroad will get more frustrated with a 2wd buggy or truck simply because throttle control is so much more of an issue in 2wd (spin outs, twitchiness, etc).......... Once you get good with the B44 (or any 4wd car of your choice) then graduate to a 2wd buggy.

That's just my $.02
If you are planning to race at all, I think that isn't really sound advice. Starting with 4wd and then "graduating" to 2wd is the opposite of what 95% of most racers would tell you to do. If you start with 4wd you will miss out on learning throttle control and restraint and the skills it takes to pilot a 2wd buggy around the track. If you can drive a fast 2wd buggy you can drive any class in RC. Start with the buggy--get good at it and THEN you will already have the needed skills to pilot a 4wd buggy with a hot motor. Add to the fact that since 2wd is the most popular class you can always get a race, if there is a low turnout there won't always be a 4wd class on a light club night.

In my experience once guys start to get good at 2wd buggy alot of them prefer it to 4wd. While most beginners will like driving 4wd better because the car corrects and tolerates alot of their driving mistakes. It really is worth it to start with 2wd IMO.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
If you are planning to race at all, I think that isn't really sound advice. Starting with 4wd and then "graduating" to 2wd is the opposite of what 95% of most racers would tell you to do. If you start with 4wd you will miss out on learning throttle control and restraint and the skills it takes to pilot a 2wd buggy around the track. If you can drive a fast 2wd buggy you can drive any class in RC. Start with the buggy--get good at it and THEN you will already have the needed skills to pilot a 4wd buggy with a hot motor. Add to the fact that since 2wd is the most popular class you can always get a race, if there is a low turnout there won't always be a 4wd class on a light club night.

In my experience once guys start to get good at 2wd buggy alot of them prefer it to 4wd. While most beginners will like driving 4wd better because the car corrects and tolerates alot of their driving mistakes. It really is worth it to start with 2wd IMO.
The post I was responding to stated that 4wd will be more "frustrating" than 2wd, and I totally disagree with that.

The person who started this thread seems to be a beginner, so what you said in your last paragraph is exactly what I was saying; A beginner will have more fun with a 4wd car because it will correct/tolerate a lot of his mistakes. I've seen more than a few guys start out with a 2wd buggy, get frustrated with the steeper learning curve and just give up altogether.

I do, however, completely agree with what you said here: "If you can drive a fast 2wd buggy you can drive any class in RC." but I just think a 2wd buggy is too steep of a learning curve for someone just starting out and only looking to have fun and not get ready for the worlds. lol One other thing to keep in mind for a beginner is that 2wd buggies are a lot more dependent on a really good setup and just the right tire combo in order to be fast, whereas 4wd buggies will be a lot more forgiving of a not-so-perfect setup/tires, but at the same time will teach a beginner the basics of setting up a car for a track.

I myself started with a 2wd buggy and eventually got good with it, but it's still far less fun for me than 4wd (and quite a bit slower than 4wd, too).

Last edited by TimNJ; 09-03-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

well i think u guys are right i should probably start with either one but ill think about it but i do track the tc5

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.