Vintage Off-road R/C Thread >

Vintage Off-road R/C Thread

Vintage Off-road R/C Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Vintage Off-road R/C Thread

Most of us can trace our roots back to an old gold-tub RC10 or a Yokomo Dogfighter or something from that era of R/C. This thread is dedicated to those golden oldies and was inspired by the following link to some serious vintage racing enthusiasts in Japan:

http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunnel/index.html
Old 09-01-2008, 02:58 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally, I got into the hobby when my college roommate hooked me up with his old gold-tub RC10. I've still got it and it's been modernized to some extent. I'll try to dig it up and post some pics.

In the meantime, can someone tell me what on earth this is? FWD?
Attached Thumbnails Vintage Off-road R/C Thread-013.jpg   Vintage Off-road R/C Thread-053.jpg  

Last edited by ruf; 09-01-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Holy crap, it does look like a front wheel drive. But then again, since there is no steering it seems, it's just a car running backwards???

Very cool pics. I would love to see your RC10 "modernized." Since I've been thinking of ways to bolt on some B4 front ends to my RC10CE graphite. I don't know why no one makes carbon fiber chassis for the B4, it wouldn't be a necessary item, but it sure would be nice to have!

I saw this really nice B4 a while back. It had a custom frame that used the drive train of a b4 as well as the suspension components... Not really vintage but still cool...
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well the thundershot, the blackfoot, and the big brute i restored of my brothers are still here. lotta oldies but goodies. i did have some other vintage tamiya 4wds but since i didnt have em as a kid (drooled over em in catalog perhaps), didnt hit the same chord so i let em go to folks who wanted em. now trust me it was hard the other day to see the hornet and hopper boxes at the store and not thinkin i was 9 instead of 29 again and just scorin it for good fun.

R
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Kyosho had a FWD car in production for a short time. IFMAR deemed it as an unfair advantage on slick tracks (which it was designed for) and forced them to run in the 4wd class. They ceased production after that ruling. That is old skool man!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
Kyosho had a FWD car in production for a short time. IFMAR deemed it as an unfair advantage on slick tracks (which it was designed for) and forced them to run in the 4wd class. They ceased production after that ruling. That is old skool man!
I was going to say it looked like an old, highly modded, maxxium FF kyosho. I always wanted one
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Holy crap, it does look like a front wheel drive. But then again, since there is no steering it seems, it's just a car running backwards???
It looks to me like there is a steering servo and linkages to the large front tires.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Talking Wow !!!!!

Master Masami!
Attached Thumbnails Vintage Off-road R/C Thread-_mg_7716_small.jpg  
Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

losidriver70, you sparked my memory of days when Masami drove his "stealth" buggy! I wanted one of those so bad, but was disappointed that his buggy was made with lots of prototype parts that weren't available to the general public...

His "Stealth" car was the sh*t! It used to beat the pants out of everyone at the major races... His driving had some part also

What I would really love to see would be RC10CE vs. Jrx-Pros. Another great classic was the Jrx-Pro SE which pretty much revolutionized 2WD buggies. The Jrx-Pro SE was the buggy that every 2WD buggies model after, with its molded chassis (when others were using aluminum and graphite) and slipper clutch... It was also a handsome buggy to boot...

I loved my RC10CE Graphite when I used to run it, but just hated the damn transmission. I've since replaced it with the Stealth transmission (the first one, the white-cased one with the casing that hugs the gears).

Still, even the stealth transmission was a rip off of MIP's transmission, which was THE hopup to get when everyone else (Losi, AE) were using transmission that had more then 4 gears in the tranny...

MIP's 3-gear design is what EVERY 2WD buggy and truck uses. His design was so practical, you got your outdrive/diff gear, an idler, and the top shaft. Still, the old AE transmission wasn't too shabby if you used bearings. I had bushings in mine (back then, you can get ball bearing option or bushing option). There were so many RCCA articles on how to build RC10's transmission for a super-smooth operation. These articles covered stuff like milling out the bearing slots to accept larger diameter bearings to reduce the RPM for rattle and vibration. I'd shed a tear of nostalgia if someone can post a pic of their vintage Jrx or RC10 with and MIP transmission bolted on... Hell, I'll shed two tears if someone can post one of the "chain" drive transmission that were offered in the small ads inside the RCCA issues of yesteryear!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I'd shed a tear of nostalgia if someone can post a pic of their vintage Jrx or RC10 with and MIP transmission bolted on... Hell, I'll shed two tears if someone can post one of the "chain" drive transmission that were offered in the small ads inside the RCCA issues of yesteryear!
Here ya go... welcome to 1987

Not yet complete Houge trailing arm RC10 with MIP planetary gear diff, Checkpoint modified motor and Kyosho gold shocks.

Fully restored original JRX2 - Race Prep stock motor, Team Smooth 7-cell SCRs, Novak electronics and original body and wing.

Maybe a virtually new RC10 Graphite Team Car? Remember Wimpy motors and SCRC 1700s?

How about an original YZ10?

Another blast from the past—the original bad boy 4wd buggy—an RPS (Losi) Yokomo Dogfighter SE. Soon to receive a Delta graphite chassis, Checkpoint mod motor, 1200SC Sanyos and original Novak electronics.

A work in progress... original Schumacher short wheelbase CAT. I have everything for the car except the original body and upper belt cover.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...amiya-exc.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ck-thread.html

I Too am a vintage Geek!

MOmo
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

F'in cool! Makes me want to dig up my RC10 World's car! I always wanted an A&L trailing arm suspension on my 1st RC10, but couldn't afford it back then, since I was only 13.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone remember who made the graphite RC10 "tub" chassis? It was shaped just like the gold tub chassis, but was made of graphite. Was it Composite Craft perhaps?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_bungle View Post
Does anyone remember who made the graphite RC10 "tub" chassis? It was shaped just like the gold tub chassis, but was made of graphite. Was it Composite Craft perhaps?
Fusion Speed. One of the more highly valued and collectible items in vintage off road buggies today.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mr_bungle View Post
Composite Craft was making the flat plate CF chassis, even before selling them to AE, but never had any "molding" abilities. I think you're talking about some Euro-based company that made the carbonfiber tubs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.