R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater salad View Post
Pissing match: i will bring my fluke 88 4th or 5th edition from work home and well give it a go, i doesnt really matter to me i was just trying to support MattWebb's theory not saying anyone is correct or not.
My bad. I was only trying to help as well.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater salad View Post
Pissing match: i will bring my fluke 88 4th or 5th edition from work home and well give it a go, i doesnt really matter to me i was just trying to support MattWebb's theory not saying anyone is correct or not.
You don`t need to , I just checked again with both meters . Why would i lie about what voltages my meters are reading ? I have a fluke 113 and a UEI DM410 and both read the same . All I was doing was trying to help and then everyone jumped on me because I supposedly was wrong . I always speak from experience .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just woking on stock 12 turn slash motors, so cant open em up, but I would think that a properly broke in motor may a few hundred more rpm than one that was just plugged up and gone wot.
reddishdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
You don`t need to , I just checked again with both meters . Why would i lie about what voltages my meters are reading ? I have a fluke 113 and a UEI DM410 and both read the same .
Sir, no issue with either your honesty or the readings you are getting with a voltmeter. They are correct. But a voltmeter will only show a time averaged reading, it can't detect the very rapid switching rate involved. It takes an oscilloscope to really see switching voltages like this.

My apologies if I've offended anyone, I'm just trying to explain how these things work.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Tater,
You talkin about the lighter fluid to rinse the brushes during break in?
Lighter fluid for like Zippo lighters not Bar B Qs!
I've seen it and it didn't go up in flames. Just dribbled it on now and then, supposed to clean em up as you go.
I was told 2 volts for 5 to 10 minutes with a slight drag such as the small fan on the armature shaft.
Also was told that removing the brushes to look at em runs the risk of chipping the clean sharp edges left from breaking them in when you try to slide them back into the brush hoods. Not sure if this only applies to the round brushes on the Check Point and Banzai type brushes.
I guess every little bit helps.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Tater,
You talkin about the lighter fluid to rinse the brushes during break in?
Lighter fluid for like Zippo lighters not Bar B Qs!
I've seen it and it didn't go up in flames. Just dribbled it on now and then, supposed to clean em up as you go.
I was told 2 volts for 5 to 10 minutes with a slight drag such as the small fan on the armature shaft.
Also was told that removing the brushes to look at em runs the risk of chipping the clean sharp edges left from breaking them in when you try to slide them back into the brush hoods. Not sure if this only applies to the round brushes on the Check Point and Banzai type brushes.
I guess every little bit helps.
Yup exactly, i havent made it to the store yet to buy some. You heard this from Dan right. Ive allways broke my motors in on a stand with a slight drag with comm drops but i need to cut my checkpoint money motor and my 13x2 checkpoint motor so ill try it this week sometime.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
My bad. I was only trying to help as well.
oh i wasnt mad or nothing just messing around
Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
You don`t need to , I just checked again with both meters . Why would i lie about what voltages my meters are reading ? I have a fluke 113 and a UEI DM410 and both read the same . All I was doing was trying to help and then everyone jumped on me because I supposedly was wrong . I always speak from experience .
Im not questioneing your honesty or anyhting but im not familiar with your dvom's but do they have a Fq setting or a bar at the bottom of the lcd screen that can indicate the switching of the voltage. Im still going to try this just for giggles and i havent had to break out my dvom in a while so it will be fun.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i did some searching for break in methods and followed one with a little adjustments with my ICE i have a integy stand that has a small fan in the bottom i hooked to a 1500 nicd battery. I set my ICE to 1.5 volts and ran for 20 minutes. then ran it again at 2.5 volts for another 20 minutes. i can see inside the endbell for the most part and no carbonizing or anything on the come so looks like it could have went well.

btw this was my first electric motor break in...so please dont rip me apart if i did somethign wrong.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I break in my motors with my Ice at 3 volts for 5 minutes , look in and check the comm and run another 5 minutes .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddishdsb View Post
Just woking on stock 12 turn slash motors, so cant open em up, but I would think that a properly broke in motor may a few hundred more rpm than one that was just plugged up and gone wot.
I'm not familiar with this motor sorry but can I ask
1. does it have bushings or bearings?
2. Are the brushes serrated?
Mr RC Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RC Centre View Post
I'm not familiar with this motor sorry but can I ask
1. does it have bushings or bearings?
2. Are the brushes serrated?
Bushings.

Probably some crappy brushes.

This is a Traxxas RTR vehicle as these motors dont last long.

BTW for everyone in the Slash class, does it make a difference to get a new motor and new tires every couplr runs?

As for a tip about how to improve performance look at Jato arms if you track isnt too strick. They improve steering but it isnt as smooth. But really no one drives a Slash smooth.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote