R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Getting my Traxxas Slash tomorrow....

Hey guys i have finally decided on the truck im going to get. I picked the slash cause of its price and the clubs around me have a bunch of guys that race these things. Another reason is i dont think i could afford to get a "real" racer i have another hobby that is very expensive. Anyways what are some good battery packs i wanna get 2 so i can run one then charge one. Also whats a good charger? One more thing is there anything else i should get for this thing other then batteries and a charger?
ClayKann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Good batteries that I would recommend are the Yeah Racing lipo packs. They run for about $50 a piece. I would also recommend either the Duratrax ICE or the LRP Pulsar 3 charger. If you get either one of those chargers you will need to run them off of a power supply or a car battery.

Good choice on the Slash BTW, it is a very tough and cool truck.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
MDB
Suspended

You won't be dissapointed with the Slash.

The Slash is the truck that I have had the most fun with in r/c.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yep the Slash is a blast. Check out my site for more tips and help.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Tech Master

You're going to love your Slash, they are awesome. LiPo's are expensive but last longer and don't have to be cycled (discharged/charged) to keep them fresh, so you'll get more out of your money if you get a couple of those. Just make sure your charger supports LiPo, they charge differently.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

If you do go lipo make sure you have some type of Low Voltage Cut out. I would reccomend as far as chargers go though the Duratrax Onyx 230. its AC/DC and can charge any type of battery out there.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Can you race with the lipo batterys? How long do they last as far as run time in the truck?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayKann101 View Post
Can you race with the lipo batterys? How long do they last as far as run time in the truck?
Yes, Probably 25-30 minutes out of a 4500mah Lipo pack. I would reccomend the Trinity Li-Pro though as it has a built in LVC. Its the pack I used with my Slash until I went B/L in it.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
Yes, Probably 25-30 minutes out of a 4500mah Lipo pack. I would reccomend the Trinity Li-Pro though as it has a built in LVC. Its the pack I used with my Slash until I went B/L in it.
I guess they give it alot more power also? i just watched on youtube a slash with a lipo and it was wheeling crazy. What is this low voltage cut off needed for and i can get that at the hobby shop?

Last edited by ClayKann101; 08-28-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

You might want to check with your track before getting lipos . Many track are making the Slash class a spec class , which means everything has to be stock and at least at two tracks I go to that means no lipo .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Lipos do not like to be discharged below 3.0V per cell. In general, a standard 7.4V lipo is made up of 2 lipo cells. So for cutoff, you don't want to go below 6V per cell. You get much better life out of your lipos with a 3.2V cutoff per cell.

As the stock ESC has no cutoff built in, people have been trying to run external cutoffs but they don't work with the ESC for some reason. That is why people are recommending the trinity Lipro battery as it has a cutoff built INTO the pack.

As for battery chargers, hyperion makes some really great chargers for lipo's and they will do other packs as well.

I would say for you, starting out, get a charger that will do balanced charging (this is where by the end of the charge cycle, all cells in the pack have the same voltage, important if they ever do get out of balance from use) and at least 5 amps charge rate. A good site for chargers and batteries (don't sell the trinity however) if you hobbyshop doesn't carry what you need is www.rclipos.com . He has free shipping anywhere. Drop them an email and tell them Marco referred you to see what kind of deal he can work for ya.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I dont know how people do wheelies with their brushless slashes. Mine just spins tires everywhere.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Well i just got the truck wow the truck was 200 bucks but then with a nice charger, powersupply, and a battery it came out to 510 bucks. I got a 7.2V Reedy 5000mah Lipo battery that was 110 bucks alone!!! For the charger i got a Great Planes Electrifly Triton Jr DC Computer Charger thing is all digital they said its an awesome charger. Then for the power supply i got a OFNA 12V/10A Regulated DC Power Supply. The guys were really nice they put the deans connectors on and gave me some 40w shock fluid they say that works best on there truck. My buddy and I couldnt believe how well it handles the dirt at high speeds and it jumps pretty good we took a lap around the track it was muddy but it did alright. I already tested the water proof feature since I HAD to run it under the hose to clean it haha.

Last edited by ClayKann101; 08-29-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oh yah love mine, my buddy ans i were just bashing mine. got dirt all over my neighbors drive way
Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayKann101 View Post
I guess they give it alot more power also? i just watched on youtube a slash with a lipo and it was wheeling crazy. What is this low voltage cut off needed for and i can get that at the hobby shop?
A 2 cell li-po doesn't put out anymore power than a good ni-mh pack would. They are however much lighter, require less maintance, and have a lot longer run time