Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Basic Motor Question

I tried searching and couldn't find an answer not to say it wasn't staring me in the face . What is the difference between a 540 .0 and .5 motor example 5.0 5.5 ???
Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

540 is the size of the can, any standard 10th scale motor is going to be this size. I think the .5 and .0 are the turns the motor has; 17.5, 6.5, 4.0, 13.5, etc.... The lower the first number, the more over its going to have. Hope that helps
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losicorey
The lower the first number, the more over its going to have. Hope that helps
I think that "over" should 've been power?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

^ True.
Lower turns equal less winds in the motor. Less winds equal more rpm's or more horsepower but less torque. More turns equal less rpm's but more torque. Higher winds tend to be spec motors. The .5 turn motors have been known to be a lil edgier and the .0 motors are known to be a lil smoother.
Granted any motor can be geared to make better torque or rpm's depending on the spur gear and pinion ratios. Hope that helps.

Last edited by thecman26; 11-17-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies I recently purchased an AWD 44.3 I just purchased a REEDY 6.5 cant wait to see what it will do . I currently run a B5M with an LRP 80970 and a Gen1 Tekin 9.5 and its pretty fast I drive like ass but still havin fun . Waiting on my buddy @ AE he is sending me a 410R to test out and a servo Ill be running both in the 44.3 with the 6.5 see is I can keep the car right side up . Bashin is so much easier then racin . Some people seek therapy some go RC racin
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Am I correct in thinking the difference between a whole number and a .5 turn motor is a difference in winding pattern? Wye (or Y if you prefer) for the common .5 winds. Delta I think for even turn numbers.

I've seen discussion of the difference in power band and delivery, but don't remember details. Never tried an even number myself.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by thecman26
^ True.
Lower turns equal more winds in the motor. Less winds equal more rpm's or more horsepower but less torque. More turns equal less rpm's but more torque. Higher winds tend to be spec motors. The .5 turn motors have been known to be a lil edgier and the .0 motors are known to be a lil smoother.
Granted any motor can be geared to make better torque or rpm's depending on the spur gear and pinion ratios. Hope that helps.
Might want to double check the first sentence.

Adding to the rest, in general a lower turn or wind motor is geared lower, more gear reduction. And will have more of everything at the wheel where it counts, including torque. Comparing otherwise similar motors such as traditional 1/10 scale .5 winds.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Am I correct in thinking the difference between a whole number and a .5 turn motor is a difference in winding pattern? Wye (or Y if you prefer) for the common .5 winds. Delta I think for even turn numbers.

I've seen discussion of the difference in power band and delivery, but don't remember details. Never tried an even number myself.
I think you're right. The Reedy XX.0 motors are smooth and incredibly torquey. I had to remove the 8.0 in my stadium truck because it made me wheelie down the 100+ foot straight that we had last spring. If you have excellent control of throttle then the reedy Mach 2 8.0 is excellent. It seems to be a favorite among a lot of folks who run mod. I pretty much run stock only so anything more than a 13.5 is too much for me.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I think you're right. The Reedy XX.0 motors are smooth and incredibly torquey. I had to remove the 8.0 in my stadium truck because it made me wheelie down the 100+ foot straight that we had last spring. If you have excellent control of throttle then the reedy Mach 2 8.0 is excellent. It seems to be a favorite among a lot of folks who run mod. I pretty much run stock only so anything more than a 13.5 is too much for me.
I ran the 8.0 in my buggy and 7.0 in my short course, and both motors were absolutely perfect!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Might want to double check the first sentence.

Adding to the rest, in general a lower turn or wind motor is geared lower, more gear reduction. And will have more of everything at the wheel where it counts, including torque. Comparing otherwise similar motors such as traditional 1/10 scale .5 winds.
Good eye!