Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Shark413
The pinion will need to be 13 or 14
I like the novak pinions
Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Great pics! Now I can see that there is enough shaft to feel comfortable with the losi MM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
Started the build, I put some m3 screws in the motor to see how it would fit. It seems ok, but I think I prefer the larger screws. In the first picture you can see the m3 screw sits way down in the hole, a larger screw would use all the surface area to spread out the torque, the m3 looks like it is using only half. Also a larger screw would have more surface area (threads) to engage the endbell, which will mean a stronger bond between motor and mount. You can also see in the picture how close the stock hole in the MMM motor comes to the endbell screw. I think an m4 will still be ok, need to pop the endbell. In the next picture (side view) you can see there is plenty of shaft (at least with the MMM 2650kv motor) for the pinion. I wishh Losi would make some adapters that allowed you to use m3 screws (in case you didn't want to you the Losi motor). I was thinking of taking some 5-40 screws, cutting off the shaft, drill out the center and use a m3 bevel drill to make my own adapter, but it might be easier just to tap the motor endbell. You definetly need to grind the rear motor support when using the MMM motor. For the guys using m3 screws, how are they holding up?

M3 screw

Plenty of shaft

MMM 2650kv motor is much smaller than the 2200kv motor

Probably going to need to run a smaller pinion with a 45T spur.

I have been running m3 screws just like that since i have converted my buggy. I have had absolutely 0 issues like that.

Also the pinion 'hanging' off the end of the shaft for whoever was wondering isnt a big deal either. I have been running it like that since I have gotten my medusa motor with the losi mount have run into 0 issues along those lines as well.

just make sure you use blue locktite on the motor mount screws, the pinion set screw, and the screw that locks the motor mount to the diff support. You should also think about flipping the motor so those wires face in instead of out.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

The Novak pinions are longer then the Robinson, they use more of the shaft with the losi mm.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
The Novak pinions are longer then the Robinson, they use more of the shaft with the losi mm.
Not sure if that was directed at my post, but i have used novak, robinson, and losi pinions without a hitch. I have a range to try different gearing and had to vary manufactures because of stock level locally.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

With my Mugen the wt. is very much battery side biased and it still jumps level, I thought this would be a problem but it is not. I can tell the difference between the 3300 mah pack and the 5000mah pack but it always jumps level.
With the added wt the mugen has more steering and it already had a bunch.
The more I drive the electric conversion the more I like it. Nitro vs Electric is very different.

I am interested in trying the tekno clutch set-up. I will probably buy the rcpd mount and give it a try. I already have two losi battery trays , I use them on the mugen. Then try the tekno setup after that. With the tekno you get a chassis,clutch,battery tray, pinion etc which really makes it a great deal.

I am wondering if the losi battery tray can be mounted on the tekno rig.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039 View Post
Hey you guys running the Plastic Kyosho spur, is it the regular plastic 46t spur that I need:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17048

I got that part number from Teknos site.
I know RCPD comes with a spur but I want a spare. His isnt modified right? This will bolt right on?

I know I need the Kyosho O-ring for this gear though. I will go back a couple pages and find it.
That is correct! I have an extra 46T spur if you would like to purchase from me. I will throw in a Kyosho o-ring so you will be all set. PM me and we can settle on a price. Cheers!

Last edited by dangerwr; 01-28-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Another question: Can you buy the motor mount piece (the piece that the motor bolts to)that slides into the groove separetly? I like the idea of having the ability to change motors quickly. I also may not want to take the pinion off to change motors and try something different. Loctite take 12-24 hours to cure and I use red on my pinions.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

thopper, u really thinking of going losi!!! what ever u do, don't go back to being a gashole!!! Keep it Green!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

I think the mugen kicks butt but I do not like looking at it with the wires everywhere! The Losi is very neat and I had a losi before...it handles much like the Mugen.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I think the mugen kicks butt but I do not like looking at it with the wires everywhere! The Losi is very neat and I had a losi before...it handles much like the Mugen.
I feel ya!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a 5 or 5R handle NOTHING like a Losi......Imo at least...or are we talkin the new 6 ?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
rhino420

Another question: Can you buy the motor mount piece (the piece that the motor bolts to)that slides into the groove separetly? I like the idea of having the ability to change motors quickly. I also may not want to take the pinion off to change motors and try something different. Loctite take 12-24 hours to cure and I use red on my pinions.
LOSA9198

LOSA9199

Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

The 6. The big difference is the 6 has more steering but they rotate in a similar fsshion. I like the Mugen better because of the quality and the steering but I think the losi ver 1 will pick up more steering with the additional wt of an electric conversion...maybe wrong.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Does the Kyosho 46 fit wo/ mods on the losi mount?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.