Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was thinking of a combination for a while also. I like how the RCPD batt tray only has one big velcro instead of 3 of them. Will make for quicker pit changes. The RCM or RCPD mount is a must in my opinion because of the shaft length, plus it seems some were having problems with the losi mount moving because of only 1 screw settings the gear mesh.

I am going with the RCPD esc mount above the rear driveshaft that why I might be able to get a heavier battery wo/ messing up the balance of the car were the losi has the esc and battery both on the side. I dont know if this has any real effect, just an idea. So thats what I did. Im still waiting on my RCPD conversion but I have everything else. Battery comes tomarrow.

The rx box is only like $10 so I would just buy a new one but Im sure you can cut the excess off the stock nitro one.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
Is there any real difference between the losi e conversion rec box and the reg. box...can the reg. rec. box simply be cut off. I would like to do a losi b conversion and use the rc monster or rcpd motor mount but I like the batt, tray , rec. box, I think all the components seperatly but NOT use the Losi motor mount ..or just go Tekno Rc.
hey thopper, what are u gonna do with your "6"? are u doing losi 1.0 or 2.0? if u do losi, why not the full losi conversion?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Teeforb, I would do the losi 1 because it is CHEAP...race roller 250.00 and I do not think the differences between the ver.1 and 2 on the buggy are that significant. The truggy 2.0 is much different then 1.0.

I will probably sell my mbx6.

The losi conversion , it seems, does have a motor mount problem as it relates to the neu,medusa etc. motors therefore I will go with the Monster or rcpd mount. The motor shafts do not go into the pinion far enough with the losi MM. I like the losi batt tray and the overall layout but not the motor mount.

Did you get the ver 2 truggy yet?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Teeforb, I would do the losi 1 because it is CHEAP...race roller 250.00 and I do not think the differences between the ver.1 and 2 on the buggy are that significant. The truggy 2.0 is much different then 1.0.

The losi conversion , it seems, does have a motor mount problem as it relates to the neu,medusa etc. motors therefore I will go with the Monster or rcpd mount. The motor shafts do not go into the pinion far enough with the losi MM. I like the losi batt tray and the overall layout but not the motor mount.

Imo there's More then enough improvement on the 1.0 to the 2.0 in buggy...the chassy alone is one of the best parts...next you add the upgraded alloy's..better brakes....shimable diff cases...radio tray...servo saver plastics....the list goes on.....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

I see...

Nope, hopefully they will receive their shipment tomorrow and ship out the same day... Im going to see how the losi motor mount pan out for me.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Look what showed up today. Still need a body (the one that comes in the box has big holes in it for the nitro stuff) and I have not decided if I am going to use M3 or 8-32 screws to hold the motor onto the mount. Tapping new threads is not a problem but I noticed on the MMM motor the holes come very close to the endbell screws and there may not be enough meat on the endbell to provide support if I drill and tap for an 8-32 screw. Got to open up the motor and see what's on the other side of the endbell.

Last edited by Shark413; 01-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRRC
r40
try going up one tooth to a 14t
you might be undergeared hence you are heating up
did you also monitor the rpm via telemetry
I run in 80-90 degree heat here in south texas and use a 14t with the losi esc and motor and the motor heats up to 130s-140s after 12-15 mins of racing
I was getting less heat with a 16t but used a 14 to have more runtime
I did, but it runs just a tad cooler with the 13. I believe it's because of the track. I spend most of my time accelerating and braking, so it's no wonder it gets hot. I bet if I ran on a big open track, it'd be fine with taller gearing, because the speed would promote airflow over the electronics, and keep them cooler.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM
rhino420

im with you on that thopper the losi conversion looks clean but i would rather them do a better motor mount so its sort of universal but then again they want you to buy there motor and esc.... all i did is cut my radio tray and bought the rcdp kit. but i dont like there radio tray so i think for my 8b conversion i might just rcmonster motor mount and buy a losi battery tray it looks alot better then rcpds. and all i am going to run is zippy and flight max which dont fit inside the rcpd standard tray.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

are there any known issues with the losi motor mount?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by teeforb
are there any known issues with the losi motor mount?
i dont know of any but i dont like how that neu motor sits in it and that pinion looks like its barley on there.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rhino420
i dont know of any but i dont like how that neu motor sits in it and that pinion looks like its barley on there.
but does the pinion screw screws on the notch? that is all that matters, right?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by teeforb
but does the pinion screw screws on the notch? that is all that matters, right?
im assuming it makes it on the notch its just real close to the edge makes me nervous but i could be wrong i dont have a set up like that.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

I am not comfortable with " just hitting the notch". I would not use the losi motor mount because of this issue with the neu motors, it may not be an issue but it is for me. There is too much torque with these motors to risk it. I suppose if I bought the conversion I would try t but I would plan on buying brand x to back it up.

Somebody mentioned a full chassis conversion for the losi from rc monster...I do not see it on there site. Do they have one?

There are pro and cons to all the conversion: the tekno needs there long pinions, the losi motor mount is ??? for neu's, rc monster only has the motor mount and rcpd puts the MMM on top. I think the best way to go is the losi batt tray ,rc monster mm, losi radio box and top plate. In other words everything losi but the motor mount-rc monster...unless you want a clutch then the tekno.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

I am not comfortable with " just hitting the notch". I would not use the losi motor mount because of this issue with the neu motors, it may not be an issue but it is for me. There is too much torque with these motors to risk it. I suppose if I bought the conversion I would try t but I would plan on buying brand x to back it up.

Somebody mentioned a full chassis conversion for the losi from rc monster...I do not see it on there site. Do they have one?

There are pro and cons to all the conversion: the tekno needs there long pinions, the losi motor mount is ??? for neu's, rc monster only has the motor mount and rcpd puts the MMM on top. I think the best way to go is the losi batt tray ,rc monster mm, losi radio box and top plate. In other words everything losi but the motor mount-rc monster...unless you want a clutch then the tekno.
i have inquired about this issue and someone mentioned all you have to do is extend the notch on the neu motors by 0.1" and everything else fits all into place. i can dig this info up if u want.

are you plan on doing this anytime soon? you can wait to see my project and see how it goes. i plan on running all losi conversion kit.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

check this out...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5302529-post8.html

also, PM i received...

Now, you will have to extend the notch on the shaft for the pinion to fit. I had to extend the set screw notch only about .100" to get my pinion to work perfectly. I use the Novak pinions, btw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.