Search

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default losi electric conversion for a 8ight-T 2.0

Hey fellaws,

i pre-ordered the 8ight-T 2.0 with the losi electric conversion. How is this conversion kit? is there anything i need to be aware of? i will be using a Neu 1515 motor and MMM ESC.

thx
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by teeforb
Hey fellaws,

i pre-ordered the 8ight-T 2.0 with the losi electric conversion. How is this conversion kit? is there anything i need to be aware of? i will be using a Neu 1515 motor and MMM ESC.

thx
+1 is there any mods needed to run the losi motor mount to a neu motor?

i run the rcpd kit in my 8ight-t and it works great.... but im getting a losi 8ight and i was thinking of going with the losi conversion this time.. sorry teeforb didn't mean to piggy back your question...

Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rhino420
+1 is there any mods needed to run the losi motor mount to a neu motor?

i run the rcpd kit in my 8ight-t and it works great.... but im getting a losi 8ight and i was thinking of going with the losi conversion this time.. sorry teeforb didn't mean to piggy back your question...
all good!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I am seriously looking at getting a Losi 2.0 and converting it to brushless power using the Losi kit. I have a question, I noticed that there is a rear motor brace included in the kit, are you guys using it? Most of the other conversions (RCPD and RC-monster) do not use a rear motor brace, and it was explained to me that this was because of chassis flex. When the chassis flexes and there is a rear motor brace the chassis flex is also transfered to the motor, which puts extra stress on the main motor mount, mounting screws and gear mesh. Anybody using the Losi kit have any issues with the rear brace and chassis flex?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
I am seriously looking at getting a Losi 2.0 and converting it to brushless power using the Losi kit. I have a question, I noticed that there is a rear motor brace included in the kit, are you guys using it? Most of the other conversions (RCPD and RC-monster) do not use a rear motor brace, and it was explained to me that this was because of chassis flex. When the chassis flexes and there is a rear motor brace the chassis flex is also transfered to the motor, which puts extra stress on the main motor mount, mounting screws and gear mesh. Anybody using the Losi kit have any issues with the rear brace and chassis flex?
No, in fact, the impacts and flex are a little reduced due to the support. It keeps the motor from slapping the chassis, or the mounting screws being ripped out of the motor.

For those of you converting anything, DON'T GET THE LOSI XCELERIN 8th SCALE SYSTEM. I have one, and even after the firmware update, months of tuning and tinkering to keep it from overheating, it's still doing weird stuff. Like a LVC that triggers way early(and in stead of reduced power, it just makes the car roll forward at about 1/50th throttle until you hit the brakes and stop it.... then it'll take off like nothing's wrong! ), an ESC fan that CAN'T hold together for more than a few runs, and it likes to SUDDENLY apply brakes for no reason. To contrast, my CC 2200 Kv system has been nothing but awesome.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd start with a roller, conversion kit, and the CC system. That would've avoided 9/10 of my problems thus far. Also, the Losi hard case 5000 4S battery is starting to piss me off. It has one cell that consistently falls off first, and and will give False LVC cut offs. ( I was running a different battery today, and its cells generally STAY close together, I even tested after the trigger, all cells were good and still balanced). I hate to say it, but Horizon went he Cheap Route with the 8th scale brushless stuff. It sucks, avoid it. I tried to be patient and I know this is all new territory. There's just no excuse for all the issues, the quality is simply Sub-Par.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R40Victim
No, in fact, the impacts and flex are a little reduced due to the support. It keeps the motor from slapping the chassis, or the mounting screws being ripped out of the motor.

For those of you converting anything, DON'T GET THE LOSI XCELERIN 8th SCALE SYSTEM. I have one, and even after the firmware update, months of tuning and tinkering to keep it from overheating, it's still doing weird stuff. Like a LVC that triggers way early(and in stead of reduced power, it just makes the car roll forward at about 1/50th throttle until you hit the brakes and stop it.... then it'll take off like nothing's wrong! ), an ESC fan that CAN'T hold together for more than a few runs, and it likes to SUDDENLY apply brakes for no reason. To contrast, my CC 2200 Kv system has been nothing but awesome.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd start with a roller, conversion kit, and the CC system. That would've avoided 9/10 of my problems thus far. Also, the Losi hard case 5000 4S battery is starting to piss me off. It has one cell that consistently falls off first, and and will give False LVC cut offs. ( I was running a different battery today, and its cells generally STAY close together, I even tested after the trigger, all cells were good and still balanced). I hate to say it, but Horizon went he Cheap Route with the 8th scale brushless stuff. It sucks, avoid it. I tried to be patient and I know this is all new territory. There's just no excuse for all the issues, the quality is simply Sub-Par.
Rule of thumb... depend on losi for mechanical hardware ONLY!!! electrical and software, go to some other guru like tekin, CC, and Neu!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Rule of thumb... depend on losi for mechanical hardware ONLY!!! electrical and software, go to some other guru like tekin, CC, and Neu!!!
It all came with the 8ight E. If I knew then what I know now...hind sight is 20/20.. etc...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Thanks, it was actually pretty dusty and rutted that day. On top of that, I was running on old worn practice tires, so it WILL be faster.

While going lower Kv and 5-6S will keep things cooler, he may not need the extra power. If I go to a much larger track, I'll just gear a little taller, and still run 4S. I just wanted him to know that he may not "NEED" to go that far, but if big tracks and high speed are the name of the game, then that's the route he should go.
Point of higher voltage isnt really to generate more power. its to generate the same power using less current (amps). The lower current stresses the whole system less.

Originally Posted by howerc
I don't have the dimensions, but the track is huge, it was designed for 1/5th scale buggies. You're on the gas most of the time and still run 45-50 second laps with the new layout. I'm leaning towards 5s and 1700 kv motor for my Losi 8ight Buggy. Should give me 3100 rpm and should stay cool.
Sounds like you are on the right track. I personally would skip the Losi motors/esc though.(JMO) MMM and a Neu 1512/3d would be a great setup for you on 5s.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Point of higher voltage isnt really to generate more power. its to generate the same power using less current (amps). The lower current stresses the whole system less.
Yup, I know. Just making sure he knew that he could go a lighter/cheaper route if he wanted to. I'm beginning to think I can get away with a 4S 3700 pack, on my 2100 kv system, for the 5 minute heats and 7 minute mains. If we do run a 15 minute main(which we do when there's enough people to pit for the nitro guys) then I can run my 4S 5000 pack.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm kinda glad that I had issues with my 1/10 xcelorin system, so I didn't get the 1/8 system

I've been really pleased with all of Castle's systems! I had a few issues with HV plane esc's but they took care of me.

My Castle-Neu system on 5s runs cool at my local track. Today for the first time I was able to run my 1/8 buggy on my backyard track. It's really for 1/10 scale cars so the 1/8 is a tight fit. I ran using less that half throttle and up to 3/4 throttle on my straight. What I thought was strange is the motor seems to run warmer on my track. Motor temp got to 180 degrees, whereas on my local track it's been no higher than 150 degrees. I guess I'm not building up enough speed to air cool the motor.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Hey fellaws,

thx
Bump on question?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't speak for the 2.0 T but it works great on the 2.0 B.
The only "mod" I had to do was gind down the rear motor support because the finned Neu motor is larger in diameter than the Losi. You will need to get longer mounting screws to mount the motor. That's it!!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ALLERACER
I can't speak for the 2.0 T but it works great on the 2.0 B.
The only "mod" I had to do was gind down the rear motor support because the finned Neu motor is larger in diameter than the Losi. You will need to get longer mounting screws to mount the motor. That's it!!
so everything stays together with no issues right? no loose screws or nothing like that? i have an un-finned Neu motor. would i still need to do any mod?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Teeforb - I'm just now putting my conversion into my eight. Its pretty well made as far as the motor mount is nice. It fits good so far. I'm kinda at a stand still until my vinyl spur & o-rings come in. No instructions. I figured out to reverse the ends of the diff.

Very happy with my mamba 1/10 & 1/18 systems. Looking hard at the monster 2200kv. Would not even think about Losi's after what i've read about it.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bigcheese
Teeforb - I'm just now putting my conversion into my eight. Its pretty well made as far as the motor mount is nice. It fits good so far. I'm kinda at a stand still until my vinyl spur & o-rings come in. No instructions. I figured out to reverse the ends of the diff.
vinyl spur? reverse the ends of the diff? what is this for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.