Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just sold all my nitro stuff and picked up a used Losi 8ight 2.0 roller last night and am looking for the right motor. I'm sold on 4s with a 1900 or 2000 motor. What I don't know is which motor brand. I am mainly a basher but have a indoor track that I went too for the other day that is 4 miles from my place. Had a great time with my 2WD eFirestorm and am looking forward to going more with my Losi. I'm thinking a Tekin RX8 with T8 motor. I've heard that the Tekin motors are not good for bashing though. This made me think something from Castle. Just looking for some opinions from the experts.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grover0878 View Post
I just sold all my nitro stuff and picked up a used Losi 8ight 2.0 roller last night and am looking for the right motor. I'm sold on 4s with a 1900 or 2000 motor. What I don't know is which motor brand. I am mainly a basher but have a indoor track that I went too for the other day that is 4 miles from my place. Had a great time with my 2WD eFirestorm and am looking forward to going more with my Losi. I'm thinking a Tekin RX8 with T8 motor. I've heard that the Tekin motors are not good for bashing though. This made me think something from Castle. Just looking for some opinions from the experts.
If its outdoors then you wont be disappointed with the Tekin 1900 ESC combo. Can't think of any reason you can't bash it either. Castle is tough and a great basher but to race with be sure to get a sensored motor ESC combo, your money will be better spent.

I'm running a reedy 2100 and its pretty dang fast. Planning to try the 1800 soon. I am running the Speed Passion Silver Arrow. Just over 200.00 dollars Motor and ESC and its flipping zooming. A Tekin combo will be around another 130.00 higher but they rock.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 04-24-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

+1 T8+RX-8
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New buggy build

Hey guys I'm building a new electric buggy for my son and being new to electric I need some help. It is a losi 8ight 2.0 with tekno v4 conversion. I have tekin r8 1900kv motor and Viper VTX8 esc. All diffs are stock from nitro. Do I need to change center spur and what pinion should I run. Any links to suggested products would be great. Also, what should I do about diff fluid? Should I make changes there as well. Basically any setup insights would be greatly appreciated. We run outdoors on tight technical tracks with lots of jumps.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Stock diff fluids should be fine in most cases. Some people prefer the plastic center spurs because they are quieter, but they made need to be replaced if the gear mesh is not set well, or just from general wear.

Losi 43T Plastic Spur Gear (8E 2.0) (LOSA3560)
Losi 44T Plastic Spur Gear (8E 2.0) (LOSA3561)
Losi 45T Plastic Spur Gear (8E 2.0) (LOSA3562)

Though I run a Tekin RX8 speed control I have the same motor in my Tekno v4 8ight 2.0. You really want to gear it to hit top speed at the end of the longest straight away (unless the straight away length is dis-proportionate to the tightness of the rest of the track). You also didn't mention how old your son is or what type of RC experience he has. If he is young or an older beginner, a T8 powered 1/8th scale buggy is going to be a handful. I would recommend looking at some of the Adam Drake(TLR team driver) suspension setups, and either using the throttle control on the transmitter or the speed control, and taking a good handful of throttle out of it, and instead initially focusing on the suspension setup and driving the proper line. After he has learned good car control, and the proper racing line start adding the throttle back into it.

Setup Sheets
http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSA0806_DrakeStd.pdf
http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/FischerSS098e2.pdf

Losi gearing doc:
http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8E2gearing.pdf

Last edited by QuikWgn; 04-25-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I ended up picking up a Orion Vortex R8pro ESC and a Orion MR8 1950kV motor. The guys at the track / hobby shop by my house made it sound like the orion motor would be better for back yard driving and the limited time I spend at the track. WHat do you all think?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

I ended up picking up a Orion Vortex R8pro ESC and a Orion MR8 1950kV motor. The guys at the track / hobby shop by my house made it sound like the orion motor would be better for back yard driving and the limited time I spend at the track. WHat do you all think?
There are 2 ways to look at it. The first is the cost vs the amount of return in it usefulness to you. If it cost 50% of a Tekin T8/RX8 and was just as reliable and provided 75% of the performance (and that other 25% of performance is un-needed or doesn't matter to you ie more basher vs racer) then yes its a good deal.

Secondly would be the volatility of the sport. If you decide to sell your stuff off you are likely to recover a higher percentage of your investment with the Tekin than the Orion IMHO, even if the initial outlay is less. A used Tekin in good condition can easily resell for 80+% of its purchase price. With the Orion being if anything a bit more expensive than the Tekin new, most of the ones sold used on Ebay and in the FS forum went for quite a bit less than the used Tekins I looked at.

Then of course are the tangibles like performance/reliability/resale desirability etc that all play a factor in both scenarios.

Last edited by QuikWgn; 04-25-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by QuikWgn View Post
There are 2 ways to look at it. The first is the cost vs the amount of return in it usefulness to you. If it cost 50% of a Tekin T8/RX8 and was just as reliable and provided 75% of the performance (and that other 25% of performance is un-needed or doesn't matter to you ie more basher vs racer) then yes its a good deal.

Secondly would be the volatility of the sport. If you decide to sell your stuff off you are likely to recover a higher percentage of your investment with the Tekin than the Orion IMHO, even if the initial outlay is less. A used Tekin in good condition can easily resell for 80+% of its purchase price. I would venture the Orion would be quite a bit less.

Then of course are the tangibles like performance/reliability/resale desirability etc that all play a factor in both scenarios.

With the Orion being if anything a bit more expensive than the Tekin new, most of the ones sold used on Ebay and in the FS forum went for quite a bit less than the used Tekins I looked at.
Thats a great way to look at it. Hopefully I won't be selling any time soon, My other 2 systems I had for 8 years before I sold them. Can't look back now. I now can't wait to get it all installed tomorrow and try it out.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the information. I am sure I will have more questions because I am new to electric and there are a lot more variables than nitro. Son is 11 but has a couple of years experience in racing 1/8th scale nitro. I am trying to put together a competitive e-buggy for him to learn on. Of course, I am learning right along with him.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking to convert my 2.0 to electric can i run 4s softpacks compared to the hard case ones and whats the advantage or disadvantage of each
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by va rcmaddness View Post
I'm looking to convert my 2.0 to electric can i run 4s softpacks compared to the hard case ones and whats the advantage or disadvantage of each

As i said in the other thread, 100% fine to run Soft packs. Advantage to a Soft case, U can Physically see if something is going on with the cells, With a hard case your waiting for the dreaded "swelled case" to let you know something is wrong.

Harcases are also significantly heavier and bulkier which can lead to fitment issues with bodies and ect. Overall hard cases may very well be "approved" by Roar, but the Very small % of tracks who Actually 100% follow Roar rules most likely wont put up a fuss over an 1/8 pack.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Subbed
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Any suggestions would be appreciated, was going to get a Tekin rx8 system, but it seem they will be out of stock for a couple of week, what would be a good 2nd choice.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Did anybody see the atricle on LiveRC on Adam Drakes 8ight E? What I was wondering about was Tekno Traction Drive unit he is using. Normally it looks like its for a Tekno converstion. Since it uses a clutch/pionion setup, how does tht work with the diff? Is it flipped backwards or something?

http://teamtekin.blogspot.com/2013/0...iver-adam.html
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Looks like he has the 3.0 shocks and wing on it too. All paint has been stripped off springs too. Wonder if he has the 3.0 front suspension too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.