Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The strange thing is that I don't notice the sound when I have it on the stand. Since this truggy is new to me, I don't really know what sounds are normal or not. When I first bought it (used) a few weeks ago, I don't remember hearing the noise driving it around on the street. After driving it at the track I started noticing it. I also noticed the radio tray is stripped so it jiggles around a little, perhaps hitting the drive shaft. Again, like I said, I don't know what sounds this truck is supposed to make and what sounds it shouldn't make.
Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
Could be, can you set it up on your stand and give it throttle and replicate? Do you know the sound the rear diff makes as it starts slipping and stripping? If it's the rear diff shim it quick and you maybe able to save it, if it's a bent shaft, best thing is to just replace it. Bent shafts do happen especially if you don't run a traktion drive or slipperential to help protect the drive line in a truggy. If it ends up being the rear diff, make sure you replace the ring and pinion gears in the diff.. mixing old and new never works well.

+1 avid and change more often and you will net better performance for less money and way less work. Think about it for the price of even lower end ceramics your at like $5each, you can spends the same amount with avid and have 5 full sets for the same price as 1 set.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have 1.0 with the tekno v3 conversion. I was looking to see what the biggest size battery combo using two 3s in series would be?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I see why people burn their electronics.... Honestly why would you put anything higher than a 4s in our car? I run 5000mah and run for 15 minutes i think there should be a basher thread where people can talk about destroying their vehicles...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a mamba monster and would like the option of being able to do this from time to time.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by whitfork View Post
I have a mamba monster and would like the option of being able to do this from time to time.
if that is something you want to try i would suggest beefing up the drivetrain because the torque will kill the stock outdrives and so on...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
I see why people burn their electronics.... Honestly why would you put anything higher than a 4s in our car? I run 5000mah and run for 15 minutes i think there should be a basher thread where people can talk about destroying their vehicles...
Well, 5S and 6S is actually more efficient. You get longer run times and less heat.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gene158 View Post
The strange thing is that I don't notice the sound when I have it on the stand. Since this truggy is new to me, I don't really know what sounds are normal or not. When I first bought it (used) a few weeks ago, I don't remember hearing the noise driving it around on the street. After driving it at the track I started noticing it. I also noticed the radio tray is stripped so it jiggles around a little, perhaps hitting the drive shaft. Again, like I said, I don't know what sounds this truck is supposed to make and what sounds it shouldn't make.
IMO no R/C car should make strange noises as it is a definite indication that something is wrong! Put longer screws in your radio tray and see if that stops the jiggling. You really should become familiar with this car, and being that it is used, I would take the time and go through the whole Truggy--bearings, fluids, seals are all things that need regular maintenance.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I need some help with setup. Every thing I've tried I can't seem to get it right. I need a lot of off power steering. I have tried pretty much every team setup and tried from scratch using the hudy setup guide. I'm very discouraged and about to get a mugen. My friend just got a mugen and out of the box he's killing me in the turns. I'm very frustrated. What can I do to get the most off power steering?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Get a BEC if not yet have it. I made it huge change to my steering.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

I run the castle bec. It's only 11 grams and have no issues since I've installed it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

McGrath, are you using the same tires on both cars? If so there are things you can try like lighter front springs or stiffer rear, more rear droop, lighter front sway bar, or my favorite, a smart diff.

On a side note, I ran the overdrive ring and pinion last night on a medium size indoor track (I know it's supposed to be for large outdoor tracks, but I had to try it) and I didn't notice too much difference. My lap times stayed the same and the car felt about the same. I will try it this weekend on a large outdoor track and see what happens.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patrick View Post
McGrath, are you using the same tires on both cars? If so there are things you can try like lighter front springs or stiffer rear, more rear droop, lighter front sway bar, or my favorite, a smart diff.

On a side note, I ran the overdrive ring and pinion last night on a medium size indoor track (I know it's supposed to be for large outdoor tracks, but I had to try it) and I didn't notice too much difference. My lap times stayed the same and the car felt about the same. I will try it this weekend on a large outdoor track and see what happens.
Let us know what you think about the OD on a larger track . . .
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My newly e-converted 8ight 2.0. This was purchased from one of the users here as a nitro. It still has the nitro body on it, which doesn't quite fit everything in... I'm just waiting to get my hands on an exabyte body that I ordered.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcgrath280 View Post
I need some help with setup. Every thing I've tried I can't seem to get it right. I need a lot of off power steering. I have tried pretty much every team setup and tried from scratch using the hudy setup guide. I'm very discouraged and about to get a mugen. My friend just got a mugen and out of the box he's killing me in the turns. I'm very frustrated. What can I do to get the most off power steering?
Before you assume it's the car, have you looked at everything? Are you using the right tires? What kind of diff fluids are you using for what type of track? Do you have the inclined spindles/carriers? I understand the 12 deg. carriers improve the off power steering. Is your friend just a better driver (not trying to be mean )? I only say that because I have seen people look toward changing cars to solve their problems when it was actually something else. The problem still existed even with the new car.

I had an ECO, and it was good, but it's not the end all be all that everyone thinks it is. I actually prefer the 8ight on large outdoor tracks.

Last edited by blade329; 07-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Which would you guys run with???

2200kv or 2450kv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.