Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
  #7486  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rtoddberger77 View Post
Here is my current set up:

TRUGGY : Losi Electric Truggy 2.0-Techno Conversion V4
STEERING SERVO : JR9100t
MOTOR : Tekin T8 1350kv Truggy can
BATTERY: 6S, 5000mah, EC5 plugs
ESC : Speed Passion Silver Arrow V3
RADIO : Spectrum DX3 Pro
PINION : ???? tooth mod1
SPUR : 50 tooth
WHEELS : AKA
DIFFS F/C/R : 7k / 10k / 2-5k---What other weight setups other than this norm?
SHOCKS F/R : ??F / ??R
DROOP F/R : stock
RIDE HEIGHT : 39 front / 41 rear
CAMBER F/R : -1 front / -2 rear
TRACKS: L to XL, high groove, clay, wet to dry

I am looking to find the ideal 6s, 1350Kv set up. Most of the the diff and shock setups that I have found are 4s setups. 6s is more powerful and the battery weighs more. I am an experienced racer and know my stuff, I am just looking to see others have found something better
I am thinking a 17t pinion with the 50t spur. The 6S 5000mAh is a heavy battery. A lot of guys usually run a 4000mAh 6S on the 1350Kv. The Drake Nitro setup on the EP Truggy does not suck. I run 35wt with black springs up front and 30wt with grey springs out back. Not sure which pistons--I think 56 in front and 55 in rear.

Are you gonna race in Burlington this weekend?
dangerwr is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM
  #7487  
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,161
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default dangerwr

well i picked up a iron today from LOWES, i got a gun style weller iron for 35.75 its a 120 watt-150 watt 990 degrees, i believe it will work. it has a small tip good for motor leads and speedcontrols like the tekin. it also comes with a case for storage.
LOSIRACER77 is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
  #7488  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
bjanzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77 View Post
well i picked up a iron today from LOWES, i got a gun style weller iron for 35.75 its a 120 watt-150 watt 990 degrees, i believe it will work. it has a small tip good for motor leads and speedcontrols like the tekin. it also comes with a case for storage.
Hate to burst your bubble but it will not work for RC..... I learned 20 years ago that the best iron has a heavy tip with a lot of metal..... What you are looking for is reserve heat. When you put that gun tip on a wire, it will instantly pull out all the heat. You will have cold solder joints and weak solder........
bjanzen is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
  #7489  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (45)
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,751
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bjanzen View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but it will not work for RC..... I learned 20 years ago that the best iron has a heavy tip with a lot of metal..... What you are looking for is reserve heat. When you put that gun tip on a wire, it will instantly pull out all the heat. You will have cold solder joints and weak solder........
He can actually find a better iron locally for about half that. I'd recommend the 40 watt Weller iron from the local brick and mortar stores:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100391613

It actually works really well for battery, ESC and connector work. Wouldn't use for small jobs like re-wiring inside ESCs and such, but for the price and effectiveness it's hard to beat.

Maybe you can return/exchange it?
goehm is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 PM
  #7490  
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,161
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by goehm View Post
He can actually find a better iron locally for about half that. I'd recommend the 40 watt Weller iron from the local brick and mortar stores:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100391613

It actually works really well for battery, ESC and connector work. Wouldn't use for small jobs like re-wiring inside ESCs and such, but for the price and effectiveness it's hard to beat.

Maybe you can return/exchange it?
see they had a 60 watt weller i wanted be they sold out of it
so i got this one.
LOSIRACER77 is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM
  #7491  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (45)
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,751
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77 View Post
see they had a 60 watt weller i wanted be they sold out of it
so i got this one.
The 60 watt Weller, I believe, is the one with the massive tip designed for stained glass. Take a look see when/if it comes back into stock, the tip MAY be too big.
goehm is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
  #7492  
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,161
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by goehm View Post
The 60 watt Weller, I believe, is the one with the massive tip designed for stained glass. Take a look see when/if it comes back into stock, the tip MAY be too big.
the 80 watt is big
LOSIRACER77 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
  #7493  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The gun style will work. I have a weller 100-140W and it's plenty hot enough to solder even batteries, way back in the day when I was running NiCd. The important thing is that the Watts are high enough. I had one that was only 100W and it wasn't hot enough to solder batteries. But 140W works, and your 150W should be even better.
The torch style with the big tip is good too. I had a 40W that was probably as hot as my 140W gun style iron.
jha07 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
  #7494  
Tech Master
iTrader: (40)
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Hey i love the solder iron talk.....BUT...lol

is anyone running anything other than 5/7/2 in their setups? Also what are you running shocks F/R? getting ready for some racing want to see whats working out there!

Thanks...
BlackStarRacing is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
  #7495  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
Hey i love the solder iron talk.....BUT...lol

is anyone running anything other than 5/7/2 in their setups? Also what are you running shocks F/R? getting ready for some racing want to see whats working out there!

Thanks...
I run the silver springs out front. I have a set of greens to try on our smoother tracks. 42.5wt fluid and am not sure which piston--probably 54. I run the black springs in the rear with 30wt and, I believe, 56 pistons.

I like to run 5/5/2 on tighter tracks or ones with a lot of bumps.
dangerwr is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
  #7496  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 294
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Smile

need some help guys (search function sucks on this forum)
Just recently rebuilt my rear diff and when I'm airborn or just lift the rear of the vehicle i notice lots of wobble now any ideas. I have built and rebuilt diffs plent of times just dont understand this especially when my outdrives are in perfecty condition. One more thing I am currently swapping my 2650 mmm for a tekin 1900 kv for 4s what is a good gearing for a small technical track.
g-one is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
  #7497  
Tech Master
iTrader: (40)
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
I run the silver springs out front. I have a set of greens to try on our smoother tracks. 42.5wt fluid and am not sure which piston--probably 54. I run the black springs in the rear with 30wt and, I believe, 56 pistons.

I like to run 5/5/2 on tighter tracks or ones with a lot of bumps.
i have to try 5/5/2, i have the same shock set up!!! So I'm on the right track!!!
BlackStarRacing is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
  #7498  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,128
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by g-one View Post
need some help guys (search function sucks on this forum)
Just recently rebuilt my rear diff and when I'm airborn or just lift the rear of the vehicle i notice lots of wobble now any ideas. I have built and rebuilt diffs plent of times just dont understand this especially when my outdrives are in perfecty condition. One more thing I am currently swapping my 2650 mmm for a tekin 1900 kv for 4s what is a good gearing for a small technical track.
For a 1900kv with a 45T spur, I would go 15T or 14T.
blade329 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
  #7499  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
rangerjkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,573
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

5/7/3 for larger more open tracks, also provides a little more acceleration.
+1 gearing on 1900kv, 15/45
rangerjkb is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
  #7500  
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,161
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default buggy

u guys know anything good
LOSIRACER77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.